PDA

View Full Version : 2000 M5 -- affordable?

keroppi
05-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Hi all, I have been thinking of getting a used M5 -- probably one around yr2000. I currently have a 3 series so I know approx how much it'd cost to maintain an M5... but I'd still want to hear from you if you know or hear anything of nightmare to maintain this car?
I know it wouldn't be cheap to maintain like a Honda, but I also can't afford thousands of dollars to throw into such a used car every year...

any advice?

robpark
05-05-2006, 06:35 PM
I do not have any experience with the M5, but I would say that if you cannot afford to put a few thousand into it each year, you should probably stay away from it.

It is definitely a fun car, but you would not want to ruin it by always worrying over how much money you can put into it.

Clem
05-08-2006, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by keroppi
....I also can't afford thousands of dollars to throw into such a used car every year...

any advice?

You just answered your own question.

To me affordable doesn't just include the cost of the car but it also includes the cost to maintain it..

keroppi
05-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the comments... yeah, I agree that the M5 probably is not the car for me if I'd have to worry about money for its maintenance... but on the other hand, it's really a car (at least on paper) that would be fun for me and have enough space to haul my family. My old favorite would be an M3 but I can't live with a 2-door anymore.

Anyway, thanks for the comments but I'm still wondering what kind of services/repairs on M5 would potentially cost me thousands of dollars annually?

AllGoNoShow
05-08-2006, 02:48 PM
From what I've seen, if its a properly maintained M5 then you won't have to be dumping thousands into it.

Are you keeping the 3 as well?

One thing to consider would be to drive the 3 daily and take the m5 out every so often, more of a weekend/fun driver not daily.

The guys at 49th parallel can help you bring one out of the states if your interested, good group of guys, pm me if u want some contact info.

Another place to check would possibly be bimmerforums.com or bimmerfest.com check out their E39 sections and talk to the M5 owners. M5board.com might also be a big help to you.

Keep us updated!

Neil4Speed
05-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by keroppi
Thanks for the comments... yeah, I agree that the M5 probably is not the car for me if I'd have to worry about money for its maintenance... but on the other hand, it's really a car (at least on paper) that would be fun for me and have enough space to haul my family. My old favorite would be an M3 but I can't live with a 2-door anymore.

Anyway, thanks for the comments but I'm still wondering what kind of services/repairs on M5 would potentially cost me thousands of dollars annually?

I understand where your coming from. My cousin has had a 2000 M5 since new, and the only thing he mentioned is that clutches go reasonably quickly. I would allocate about 3-4k a year for repairs and maintence.

For the amount of joy that you get out of driving the car, its well worth it depending on your budget etc.

If you want to know of particular problems, your best of going to a BMW forum (allgonoshow should know of some good ones), as it seems no one on beyond is capable of giving you specific examples as far as services/repairs go.

Good luck!

Neil4Speed
05-08-2006, 02:50 PM
(allgonoshow), that was a little weird...

AllGoNoShow
05-08-2006, 02:54 PM
;)

CasperWho
05-08-2006, 03:06 PM
bring it from the states, i drove down to vegas for my 02 e46
and it saved me some big bucks!

C4S
05-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Any car .. need to spend money on running cost ...

like my In Law 4 runner .. it is still probaby $30K car .. or $25K .. but still .. 7 yr old car .. $1500-2000 spend on it each yr .. is expected ..

M5 is not bad .. say average may be $2-3K a yr ..

Consider if u r buying another sports car, such as a 1990 911, or 1991 NSX .. they will cost you same kind of amount, if you want to keep it in good shape.

Even you are buying some cheap old sports car, such as 300ZX turbo, RX7 turbo etc .. their service cost are not cheap anyway .. ^_^

How about E36 M3 sedan? they are cheaper to buy now, and much lower service cost! :)

snowcatxx87
05-08-2006, 04:47 PM
You dont ask to whether or not it is affordable...

You make it affordable.

Loose
05-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by snowcatxx87
You dont ask to whether or not it is affordable...

You make it affordable.

Why would you say that? Make it affordable by not driving it? Make it afforable by comprimising other parts of your life (assuming you don't have the $$$)?

My buddy almost bought a C43 AMG. We were looking at the service records and saw that shit was stupid expensive. ie. Brake rotors were $450each, etc..

I've heard horor stories of engines going on the M5 (friend of a family friend... just after warranty), but can't relate any useful info, since it is all heresay.

All I can say is that the cars parts are probably not cheap, most of the cars don't have warranty, and that you won't find used parts anywhere.

Hakkola
05-09-2006, 02:42 PM
:werd:

Even cheap luxury cars are not what I'd call "affordable" when it comes to maintenance.

snowcatxx87
05-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Relax guys - it was a joke, you know, " haha, lol".

C4S
05-09-2006, 05:24 PM
I guess .. depends how you look at Affordable ... to some people .. "civic, corolla" are affordable ...

To some .. "BMW, BENZ, Audi" etc are affordable ... ( compare to lambo, AM, Ferrari etc .. )

I probaby say on a used car, spending $3K a yr on maintenance is affordable .. most people spend more then that on their 20 yr old JDM ... :dunno:

AllGoNoShow
05-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Had my car for a year just about and haven't dumped 3k into it? Older, more miles, hard to find parts. Although I guess if I had 10g lying around I could easily make 3k worth of stuff "repairable" :)

gp36912
05-09-2006, 09:05 PM
^^^^ dude, by the way you drive i'm surprised your engine hasn't decided to quit on ya yet :D but hell same here, if i had 10gs laying around i'd make a few parts "in need of repairs" :D