PDA

View Full Version : S2K vs WRX

max_boost
03-30-2003, 04:04 AM
First encounter......
I've never launched my car before so did not know what to do/expect. Light turns green, WRX gets a good jump, the turbo kicks in and I was left in the dust. Frankly, I got destroyed, it was embarassing. I didn't even bother trying to catchup or to pull a ricer flyby because the race was well over before it got started.

Second encounter.......
Well, I meet up with the WRX at the next set of lights, I must redeem myself this time. I rev my car up to 6500RPMS, light turns green, I drop the clutch, tires are spinning like crazy, I got traction and I was gone. I got the jump on the WRX and this time, the WRX had no chance. I shifted perfectly at 9000 RPMS and decided to shut her down at the end of 3rd gear. And of course, I flashed my hazards to signal victory! haha I was ahead the entire time with the WRX slightly behind me.

But I figure this much, if the WRX is not going to catch up to me at 100km/h then there is no way it will catch up to me at 200km/h.

However, I must say, the WRX is one impressive machine, tonnes of low end power to satisfy most people!

I rarely drive my car this hard and don't plan to do it again anytime soon. Tonight's epic encounter gave me an idea of what the car is capable of:thumbsup:

ramminghard
03-30-2003, 04:25 AM
how can you not drive an s2k hard?

three.eighteen.
03-30-2003, 04:41 AM
s2k must drive like a granny-mobile outside of vtec...

max_boost
03-30-2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by ramminghard
how can you not drive an s2k hard? Because contrary to what others like to say, it is not torqueless. I use to think that you would have to drive it like you stole it to get power but that isn't true. The power is there but I guess it depends how aggressive you are. :dunno:

Off the line, the car is a little slow if you don't launch it but it isn't as bad as some people make it out to. From a roll, the car is decently quick, pulls pretty hard.

RSeXy
03-30-2003, 04:50 AM
i wonder who was driving the WRX? *hmmm*

2000impreza
03-30-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by RSeXy
i wonder who was driving the WRX? *hmmm*

haha.. damn subaru's... wonder what was going through his head :rofl:

RGAGT
03-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Max Good to hear Your Testing out the car a little. The S2K Is a nice machine I'm sure someone will try u again this summer :thumbsup:

spyguy
03-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
First encounter......
I've never launched my car before so did not know what to do/expect. Light turns green, WRX gets a good jump, the turbo kicks in and I was left in the dust. Frankly, I got destroyed, it was embarassing. I didn't even bother trying to catchup or to pull a ricer flyby because the race was well over before it got started.

Second encounter.......
Well, I meet up with the WRX at the next set of lights, I must redeem myself this time. I rev my car up to 6500RPMS, light turns green, I drop the clutch, tires are spinning like crazy, I got traction and I was gone. I got the jump on the WRX and this time, the WRX had no chance. I shifted perfectly at 9000 RPMS and decided to shut her down at the end of 3rd gear. And of course, I flashed my hazards to signal victory! haha I was ahead the entire time with the WRX slightly behind me.

But I figure this much, if the WRX is not going to catch up to me at 100km/h then there is no way it will catch up to me at 200km/h.

However, I must say, the WRX is one impressive machine, tonnes of low end power to satisfy most people!

I rarely drive my car this hard and don't plan to do it again anytime soon. Tonight's epic encounter gave me an idea of what the car is capable of:thumbsup:

blah WRX's are slow anyway...:thumbsdow

GTS Jeff
03-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
s2k must drive like a granny-mobile outside of vtec... dude, with the redline so freaking high, there is almost as much vtec as non-vtec in the s2k!

Superesc
03-30-2003, 12:06 PM
I rarely drive my car this hard and don't plan to do it again anytime soon.

haha yea right!!! Now its PayBack time for all those cruises you were left behind!!!!! :rofl:
Damn I guess I would be the only one in the back of the pack now :dunno: :D

importadrenelin
03-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Love the S2K, what color scheme did you get max and any mods yet?

theken
03-30-2003, 03:26 PM
hmmmm me and u max :thumbsup: i wanna see what the probe is capable of

CRXguy
03-30-2003, 03:28 PM
Good job MB. I'm very impressed by the second run. :thumbsup:

Until next week! lol

SilverRex
03-30-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Good job MB. I'm very impressed by the second run. :thumbsup:

Until next week! lol

were you the one driving the wrx? isnt it the wagon? or I might be mistaken someone else.. wagons are slower due to more weight..

according to test spec, straight line performence, the wrx and s2k are very similar both 0-60 and 1/4, I think the s2k is just a tid bit faster like .2 , either way it comes down to reaction time and who is dropping the cluth at high rev..

however s2k is a sports car, on the track, wrx has no chance in hell to keep up.. but for a daily car the wrx has it all :D

SilverRex
03-30-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by spyguy

blah WRX's are slow anyway...:thumbsdow

well if that is the case then 90% of the cars on the road are even slower... how many cars is actually faster than the wrx stock to stock anywayz? amg? sk2? 350z? supra? porshe boxter s? pretty much all the ones faster are sports car and cost alot more money.

for the price and performence, I do not think there is any compeition. beside if you throw in the evo8 that car is like 10k more.

buh_buh
03-30-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex

well if that is the case then 90% of the cars on the road are even slower... how many cars is actually faster than the wrx stock to stock anywayz? amg? sk2? 350z? supra? porshe boxter s? pretty much all the ones faster are sports car and cost alot more money.

for the price and performence, I do not think there is any compeition. beside if you throw in the evo8 that car is like 10k more. You gotta be kidding me. 90% of cars on the road?!?!! Nice try dude. A WRX is pretty quick, but not THAT quick. If you think a stock WRX can beat 90% of cars on the road you should give me some of whatever it is your smoking.

spyguy
03-30-2003, 04:08 PM

for the price and performence, I do not think there is any compeition. beside if you throw in the evo8 that car is like 10k more.

guy trust me i drive the same car as you...they're quick...but NOT THAT quick to say that it's faster than 90% of the cars on the road....

Fuji
03-30-2003, 04:12 PM

You are on crack. You think WAY too highly of your car. It is not that fast. A stock prelude, 350Z, S2K, G35, BMW 330ci, etc can hang in with a WRX. An RSX should be able to too. There are a lot of cars able to compete with the WRX.

Spyguy's on the otherhand is quick, but its not really all that stock either:thumbsup:

Altezza
03-30-2003, 04:28 PM

Don't make me go down to AVSport and bring something back to kick your ass in! JK!

:thumbsup: Good kill. It's also good to see that some WRX owners here know the limits of their cars. The WRX is an awesome machine, but I find that a lot of WRX owners think they're the king of the road (I mean no offence to people here who own them). I've seen WRXs line up and rev Vettes and Porsches at lights. What were they thinking? :dunno:

Fuji
03-30-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

Don't make me go down to AVSport and bring something back to kick your ass in! JK!

:thumbsup: Good kill. It's also good to see that some WRX owners here know the limits of their cars. The WRX is an awesome machine, but I find that a lot of WRX owners think they're the king of the road (I mean no offence to people here who own them). I've seen WRXs line up and rev Vettes and Porsches at lights. What were they thinking? :dunno:

Keyword is SOME - there are a few exceptions as they have already demonstrated.

SilverRex
03-30-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Fuji

You are on crack. You think WAY too highly of your car. It is not that fast. A stock prelude, 350Z, S2K, G35, BMW 330ci, etc can hang in with a WRX. An RSX should be able to too. There are a lot of cars able to compete with the WRX.

Spyguy's on the otherhand is quick, but its not really all that stock either:thumbsup:

that is my point, how many s2k 350z and g35 bmw 330ci u see on the road? this is stock to stock I compare mostly with what the test specs are.. and im fully aware that wrx isnt the fastest but for a general sampling of a city.. you pick 10 cars randomly out of the streets regardless of what they are.. the wrx will be fast if not keep up with what you pick blindly...

until I pull up against an amg, porshe, farrari or some heavily modded import.. otherwise out of the 2 yrs ive driven daily to work.. all I see is caviler, civic, protege, suvs and tons of domestic. Do you know what im trynig to say here?

buh_buh
03-30-2003, 04:39 PM
yea but just because you don't see them doesn't mean they're not there. I will bet you anything that WAY more than 10% of cars in calgary can hand you your ass on a silver platter.

SilverRex
03-30-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
yea but just because you don't see them doesn't mean they're not there. I will bet you anything that WAY more than 10% of cars in calgary can hand you your ass on a silver platter.

ok we will never know, some cities it might even be more or less.. but I give you 30%, so faster than 30% is still pretty impressive..

after all , try my idea and stand in one corner of a street and just name the first 10 car you see.. you think half of those will beat the wrx?

give or take, statistic vary
this whole reply is about spyguy's comment "wrx are slow anyways" now tell me what does that mean? slower than 30% of the car on the road or faster than 70% of them.

Audi Kid
03-30-2003, 04:46 PM
Bahaha i agree 100% with buh bitch.......haha u guys are on crack! your forgetting the audis Bmw's volvo's porches mercedes and all those guys with hopped up imports.....fuuccckkkkk

szw
03-30-2003, 04:47 PM
If your talking cars that are out racing on the streets, that "faster than 90%" comment probably isn't true.

If you are talking about all the cars in calgary, then I'm sure its true too.

If your including ALL the cars on the road driven by billy bob joe and their grandparents...i would bet the wrx is in the top 10th percentile. haha

2000impreza
03-30-2003, 05:03 PM
i don't see where this "faster then 90%" is comming from. if you believe that then you need to get out more. there are tons of cars on the road that would beat a stock wrx. don't get me worng a STOCK wrx is a decent fast car..... but not s2k fast.

SilverRex
03-30-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by szw
If your talking cars that are out racing on the streets, that "faster than 90%" comment probably isn't true.

If you are talking about all the cars in calgary, then I'm sure its true too.

If your including ALL the cars on the road driven by billy bob joe and their grandparents...i would bet the wrx is in the top 10th percentile. haha

that is what im trying to say..
I base my number on what I've seen on the street in the last 2 yrs. even then its not 90% its like 99%. Like buh buh said, is there more than 10% of the car faster than the wrx on the road today.. most likely. is the wrx slow? no way.

FYI, according to 2003 April R&T road test spec..cars that are faster than wrx straighline are the following..

NSX, S4, BMW Ms, Zo6, cobra, s2k, amg, boxster s, vettez and all exotic sports car. let me see, there is roughly about 120 cars listed in the road test. excluding the exotic ones which is around 20 cars.. thats around 100 cars minus the ones faster than the wrx its around 15 cars. say I give you 20 cars.. that is still 80 of 100 cars slower than the wrx on the street.

and guess what, this still does not include suvs, trucks, vans, and cars older than 10 yrs.

so if you tell me every 5th car is a wrx beater, than someone else is smoking crack unless you think your living in california

bottom line, if majority of the current model cars are listed in the road test are any indication of what is on the road than the wrx is already 80% faster excluding exotic, even then exotic or super cars are like what a 1%.

bottom line, there is no real answer here, just a matter of personal opinion.

SilverRex
03-30-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Audi Kid
Bahaha i agree 100% with buh bitch.......haha u guys are on crack! your forgetting the audis Bmw's volvo's porches mercedes and all those guys with hopped up imports.....fuuccckkkkk

nice, the fastest volvo on my car list is a s70 rated at 14.7 1/4 mile
and your right everyday I go to work I see BMW Ms and Zs, AMG and porshe on every set of stop lights.

wow the average people in calgary are loaded man. its sooo rare to see civics, suvs, trucks and van these days.. they are so uncommon. My wrx is no match for those car you mention above so I should take something faster like an STI just to keep up.

max_boost
03-30-2003, 05:32 PM
I don't think any of you guys are getting what silverrex is trying to say.....maybe his percentages were off but it is true, a WRX is pretty quick car on the streets, it can dust off all the economy cars while keeping up with some of the higher end cars and the S2K :D haha

kenny
03-30-2003, 05:47 PM
after all , try my idea and stand in one corner of a street and just name the first 10 car you see.. you think half of those will beat the wrx?

With this kind of thinking I can say that I'm faster than 100% of the cars in Calgary. I'll go on a street corner and just count off the first 10 cars and beat all of them because chances are in the first 10 cars, there probably wont be a fast car... thats a pretty silly way to say you are faster than 90% of the cars in Calgary.

Fuji
03-30-2003, 06:37 PM

that is my point, how many s2k 350z and g35 bmw 330ci u see on the road? this is stock to stock I compare mostly with what the test specs are.. and im fully aware that wrx isnt the fastest but for a general sampling of a city.. you pick 10 cars randomly out of the streets regardless of what they are.. the wrx will be fast if not keep up with what you pick blindly...

until I pull up against an amg, porshe, farrari or some heavily modded import.. otherwise out of the 2 yrs ive driven daily to work.. all I see is caviler, civic, protege, suvs and tons of domestic. Do you know what im trynig to say here?

You should come back to reality. There are TONS of those cars on the street and on any given day you would get beat down. I see those cars all the time.

Driving to work is usually during rush hour not a good way to guage who is faster when you are crawling in a line, even though there are M's, AMG's, Porsches, TT's, S4's you name it.

Throw one turn into the race and I know guys who can destroy you with a way underpowered car.

Point is you are way off with your statement, the WRX is not by any means fast, compared to the general population.

SilverRex
03-30-2003, 06:59 PM

You should come back to reality. There are TONS of those cars on the street and on any given day you would get beat down. I see those cars all the time.

Driving to work is usually during rush hour not a good way to guage who is faster when you are crawling in a line, even though there are M's, AMG's, Porsches, TT's, S4's you name it.

Throw one turn into the race and I know guys who can destroy you with a way underpowered car.

Point is you are way off with your statement, the WRX is not by any means fast, compared to the general population.

well I already said I give buhbuh 30% leadway. if that is still not enough than how bout 50%.. yup.. the wrx is a POS and the mass popluation of the cars on the road NOW are mostly made up of high end 40K+ cars not only luxury but dam fast.

the debate goes on forever.. all I have to do is show up at race city and instantly my car is probablly one of the slowest.

when I say 90% its 90% to what ever standards im meansuring it against and I state clearly all those in my previous post. but no no, everyone only looks at the 90% as such a terrible percentage. no way did I ever mention 90% is fixed or I claim it is real. I say it is a possiblity , in other words, the car is quite fast compare to most on the road.. sure maybe im off a bit. but am I wrong? no one can say that until they give me a full report what car is on the roads at this moment. this includes myself..

this thread is getting long and I do not wish to debate further because all im doing is repeating myself. if it makes everyone happy. I will surrender and say the wrx is not fast at all, since most car on the road can beat me hands down. even a civic driver with mad skillz.. nuff said

Fuji
03-30-2003, 07:09 PM

well I already said I give buhbuh 30% leadway. if that is still not enough than how bout 50%.. yup.. the wrx is a POS and the mass popluation of the cars on the road NOW are mostly made up of high end 40K+ cars not only luxury but dam fast.

the debate goes on forever.. all I have to do is show up at race city and instantly my car is probablly one of the slowest.

when I say 90% its 90% to what ever standards im meansuring it against and I state clearly all those in my previous post. but no no, everyone only looks at the 90% as such a terrible percentage. no way did I ever mention 90% is fixed or I claim it is real. I say it is a possiblity , in other words, the car is quite fast compare to most on the road.. sure maybe im off a bit. but am I wrong? no one can say that until they give me a full report what car is on the roads at this moment. this includes myself..

this thread is getting long and I do not wish to debate further because all im doing is repeating myself. if it makes everyone happy. I will surrender and say the wrx is not fast at all, since most car on the road can beat me hands down. even a civic driver with mad skillz.. nuff said

No I just don't think you realize what the actual situation is. The WRX is fast, but interms of sports cars it is not. If you take into account other factors it may make the WRX slower. The WRX is not a POS, but you talk it up too much.

All you are using is your biased road experiences, hasn't even hit summer yet so you are racing everyones winter beaters and some bench racing. All i am trying to say is you have a too biased view in favour of your WRX.

szw
03-30-2003, 07:16 PM

The WRX is fast, but interms of sports cars it is not.

Yeah, but the original comment was comparing the car to the average car on the road. Not comparing it to sports cars.

SilverRex
03-30-2003, 07:17 PM

No I just don't think you realize what the actual situation is. The WRX is fast, but interms of sports cars it is not. If you take into account other factors it may make the WRX slower. The WRX is not a POS, but you talk it up too much.

All you are using is your biased road experiences, hasn't even hit summer yet so you are racing everyones winter beaters and some bench racing. All i am trying to say is you have a too biased view in favour of your WRX.

actually I now know what you mean, I am just as misunderstood as you are to me.

I am not saying wrx is dam fast, I never mention beating winter beaters.. in fact I do not race... in 2 yrs ive only raced prolly 3 cars at stop lights.. I am not in favor of my car to discount the facts and what is outthere.. Im purly base my opinion on probability and road test specs.. so already admitted that I might be off, but at the same time I also say the wrx is quite fast, faster than normal above average which means if I wait at any intersection in the city.. the wrx will most likely be fast euff on paper than what drives by. if you take a survey and go record the first 10 or 100 or even the first 1000 cars that drives by say deerfoot in the summer. how many can beat the wrx hands down.. as in no match.. <- in this sentence its not saying the wrx is king, its saying its pretty fast alright but not fastest.

and yes if that 1000 cars are all audi, porshe, amgs and bmw, then I Rest my case.

2000impreza
03-30-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by szw

Yeah, but the original comment was comparing the car to the average car on the road. Not comparing it to sports cars.

yeah but also the title of this thread is S2k VS WRX.

szw
03-30-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza

yeah but also the title of this thread is S2k VS WRX.

yeah but how often does a tread actually stay on-topic? heh

2000impreza
03-30-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by szw

yeah but how often does a tread actually stay on-topic? heh

haha. so true :confused:

SilverRex
03-30-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza

haha. so true :confused:

ya speaking of on topic..
I agree with max_boost, your s2k is faster than the wrx.. no brainer.. both street start or track

assuming your reaction time to launch is the same if not faster than the wrx driver..then no wrx will ever catch you..

WRX is not a pure sports car, we all know that.. but for the practicality, price and performence, im sure most ppl "on this post" will finally agree with me its a good thing..

spyguy
03-30-2003, 07:44 PM

haha yup pretty much man...its just a subaru...:rolleyes:

max_boost
03-30-2003, 09:19 PM
Anyway, back on topic.....Unless I am dropping it at 6K everytime at a stand still, I'll lose to a WRX for sures lol

But from a roll, life is different haha

CRXguy
03-30-2003, 11:21 PM
Man, this sure got blown way out of proportion. :D

Anyway, back on topic.....Unless I am dropping it at 6K everytime at a stand still, I'll lose to a WRX for sures lol

But from a roll, life is different haha

Only amateurs run from a roll!

:thumbsup: :poosie:

B18C
03-31-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by szw

I agree. I think a lot of you have pretty skewed views on the type of cars on the road because of the people we hang out with. Think about it, the majority of the cars on the road are econoboxes and minivans.

If you are talking about the cars on this board.....that would be a totally different matter.

02bump'nWRX
03-31-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by B18C

I agree. I think a lot of you have pretty skewed views on the type of cars on the road because of the people we hang out with. Think about it, the majority of the cars on the road are econoboxes and minivans.

If you are talking about the cars on this board.....that would be a totally different matter.

I couldn't agree more. I understand what silverRex is saying and its not becaue i have a WRX. I don't think its a super car or anything its simply my daily driver. I know it will lose mainly becasue i have. I got my ass handed to me by my old hockey coach in his supercharged dodge ram SST and My vette would murder my WRX given that it can get some traction. But on the other side I have won alot... preludes, civic, cavs, eclipses, talons etc,etc, I just know who i can potentialy beat and who i have no chance. Like my moms 2000 vette or my dads 64 (400hp) vette I would never race a car like that cause i know id lose. Sorry if this is off topic but i'd agree in the real world, all in all a wrx would be considered quick. But thats just MO

Fuji
03-31-2003, 12:33 PM

But you live in E-town.. there aren't as many nice cars

02bump'nWRX
03-31-2003, 12:34 PM
Just found this on car and drivers website. Thought you guys might like it. Oh yah and just for the record I love s2k's i think they look sweet and wish i had one. I think this seems slow, cause i have heard people running low 14's and high 13's in a stock s2k. Oh and MB nice kill man!!!

Car and Driver: As with most high-strung motors, the S2000's engine lacks low-end grunt, so it must be revved madly at launch during acceleration testing. But even with nearly 8000 revs on the tach, our very green (345 miles) test car was unable to break a wheel loose on our grippy test surface, which partly explains our rather lackluster performance: 0 to 60 took us fully 6.8 seconds, and the quarter-mile fell in 15.1 seconds at a more impressive 96 mph. Those numbers are on par with the similarly priced BMW Z3. Wind it out further, however, and the S2000 walks away from the Bimmer, hitting 120 mph some seven seconds quicker. We're sure that a properly broken-in example launched on a drag strip will run 0 to 60 in the mid-five-second range, and we'll test another one soon.

Here is the link: http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/previews/1999/August/199908_preview_honda_s2000.xml?Manufacturer=Honda&Name=S2000&class=20

max_boost
03-31-2003, 01:54 PM
I know!
Car and driver ran 15.1 and Motor Trend ran 13.8! What a discrepancy!

But I'm pretty sure I would do well at RaceCity, as long as I line up against my arch nemesis CRXguy :rofl: bwhahha :rofl:

Fuji
03-31-2003, 01:56 PM
I know!

But I'm pretty sure I would do well at RaceCity, as long as I line up against my arch nemesis CRXguy :rofl: bwhahha :rofl:

That's the problem with bench racing. Too many factors with environment, actual conditions, and driver.

As long as you reference the same magazine I think the numbers will be accurate in proportion.:dunno:

SilverRex
03-31-2003, 05:21 PM
I know!

Road and track rated it at 14.1sec

cocoabrova
03-31-2003, 06:05 PM
I know!

But I'm pretty sure I would do well at RaceCity, as long as I line up against my arch nemesis CRXguy :rofl: bwhahha :rofl: You forgot me too:devil:if I still HAVE my car:( :rofl:

B18C
03-31-2003, 07:34 PM

But you live in E-town.. there aren't as many nice cars

Point taken :(

Fuji
03-31-2003, 07:37 PM

Point taken :(

It's all cool! You'd better make it to our track days though :D