PDA

View Full Version : honda prelude oil

kane584
05-06-2006, 12:02 PM
im wondering what is the best oil to use on honda prelude 97 to make it run real nice and smooth, with peak performance, it says to use 5W30 on the engine lid :dunno:

arian_ma
05-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Yea...use 5w30 then

kane584
05-06-2006, 12:16 PM
o ok but what brand i mean, and whats is syntehic oil

RickDaTuner
05-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Royal Purple or Amsoil....

arian_ma
05-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Or Castrol or Mobil1, synthetic is better for higher KM engines but make sure that if you are going synthetic you get someone to explain all the things you have to do. Cause once you go synthetic, you can't go back.

RickDaTuner
05-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Or Castrol or Mobil1, synthetic is better for higher KM engines but make sure that if you are going synthetic you get someone to explain all the things you have to do. Cause once you go synthetic, you can't go back.

whaaa? who told you that Bullshit.. changin between Synthetic and Dino Oil is like changing out a light bulb with a lower wattage... they still provide light but one is just not as bright...

arian_ma
05-06-2006, 03:25 PM
^^ really? i didn't know that. Sorry about the bad info.
Learn something new everyday lol.
Thanks Rick

liquidboi69
05-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Synthetic cleans all the sludge out of your engine giving you better performance (for high KM vehicles that have sludge buildup). But some engines have leaks that are being plugged up by sludge, so you might start having oil leaks. Some people think synthetic CAUSES leaks, but it just unplugs the leak holes basicly (which is why some people switch back to regular oil)

*I'm pretty sure you have to do oil changes more frequently if you're going with synthetic. You'll only notice performance gain and better milage after a few oil changes (you need a few changes to flush out the sludge)

I recommend 5W30 Castrol or Mobil 1 synthetic.

MackDawg
05-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Mobil 1 is the best synthetic oil out there, and also the most expensive to boot. I am running penzoil 5w30 in my 01 lude right now and will be switching over to moble1 soon enough.

peace

Marc.

kane584
05-06-2006, 05:44 PM
thanks for the info
i just used mobile 1

Grip172
05-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by kane584
thanks for the info
i just used mobile 1

ooooh, i never liked mobile 1 in my prelude, i ran noticeably different, i'd stay away form synthetics

GQBalla
05-06-2006, 11:07 PM
noticeably different in what ways ^^??

Grip172
05-06-2006, 11:45 PM
just the way it ran, that's all...but then i again, i noticed every little thing "different" that would or could go on with my car

A2VR6
05-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by MackDawg
Mobil 1 is the best synthetic oil out there, and also the most expensive to boot. I am running penzoil 5w30 in my 01 lude right now and will be switching over to moble1 soon enough.

peace

Marc.

I wouldnt say Mobil 1 is the best and the most expensive. I believe there were tests run that show that royal purple and amsoil are better (if not the same) as mobil... and plus they cost a bit more.

barbarian
05-07-2006, 12:42 AM
Mobil 1 is API rated, some Amsoil oil is not. Your car manufacturer requires API rated oil (http://api-ep.api.org/quality/index.cfm?bitmask=002001005005000000) of a certain service classification and above.

It won't matter on a '97 prelude, but you can actually void your warranty on a new car by using non-approved oils. So long as you stick with the 5w30 Amsoil API certified oil you will be okay.

Zero102
05-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Amsoil is technically a better oil than Mobil 1.
Mobil 1 tends to show higher Fe wear rates, but it is by a slight amount.
That said, Amsoil is 30-40% more expensive than Mobil 1, and for a normal every-day car is not worth the expense.

Another good synthetic is Castrol Syntec.

There is no reason you can't go back to conventional oil if you like, and what is this change synthetics at shorter intervals stuff?... That is the reason most people switch to synthetics, because they can go longer between changes.

On the initial fill, expect it to do some engine cleaning. This can be avoided by doing an engine flush first.
Otherwise, with a synthetic you should change your oil at the specified change interval for the first oil change. From the second fill in, a typical rule is you can double your change intervals, but never exceed 1 year or 20,000km on a fill without UOA to guide you.
Even with twice the oil change interval, synthetic oils will protect better than conventional oils.

People argue that if you switch to synthetic, it will make your engine leak oil.... maybe 30 years ago, but if you switch today and your engine leaks, it was leaking before.

Always pick an oil that meets the minimum API specs for your car. When people say there are some Amsoil products that are not API rated, they don't mean that they failed the test, but rather they are not intended for use in your daily driver with a warranty (or without), and so they will not guarantee them. After you have found a large number that meet the API specs you require (usually 4-5+ from each major name), then pick the correct viscosity, and from there it's a matter of choice. In this case Mobil 1 5W30 is correct for your car, and will be just peachy.

Also worth noting, cold starting will be much better with a synthetic oil. If you had lifter noise when it was really cold out, expect it to improve.

djayz
05-07-2006, 08:24 AM
^
hmm i found with synthetic oil that i had to change at the regular 5000km intervals
the oil was extremely dirty by then...i did go up to 7500km once but there was lots of sludge and the oil was so black that you couldnt even see through it.

barbarian
05-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by djayz
^
hmm i found with synthetic oil that i had to change at the regular 5000km intervals
the oil was extremely dirty by then...i did go up to 7500km once but there was lots of sludge and the oil was so black that you couldnt even see through it.

This sounds like blow-by.

RickDaTuner
05-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
^^ really? i didn't know that. Sorry about the bad info.
Learn something new everyday lol.
Thanks Rick

no worries man... haha synthetic and Dino oil are Hot topics when it comes to car a enthusiast. but in the end oil is oil, some just preform better than others, but in the end they all do their job:werd: :thumbsup:

djayz
05-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by barbarian

This sounds like blow-by.

blow-by?

the way i see it oil is all the same has to be changed in the same time intervals. The only difference between regular oil and synthetic is that synthetic has cleaning agents and different additives to make it a cleaner oil...theres nothing said about it lasting longer.

liquidboi69
05-07-2006, 04:01 PM
I always thought you changed synthetic more often because thats how you flush all the engine sludge out...built up from non synthetic oil.

95EagleAWD
05-07-2006, 04:32 PM
I dunno about the benifits or whatever, but chalk up another Mobil 1 synthetic user right here. It keeps the engine running, and honestly, that's all that matters to me.