PDA

View Full Version : Sutter states few changes will be made

Hakkola
05-06-2006, 12:44 PM
http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/05/271498.html

Not really a big fan of the few changes theory, we need more scoring and he's taking a gamble that kobasew/Lombardi/Langkow etc... step it up another notch...

I guess we'll see what happens.

cujo_cjc
05-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Well our defense core is pretty much set. He's added a decent amount of depth at that position this past season.

With the cap probably going up, maybe he'll be able to pick up a big name offensive player :goflames:

Ajay
05-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Sutter gave up the chance of getting a big name offensive player when he didn't take advantage like Lowe did in Edmonton in getting Samsanov or when Sutter didn't pull through with the Joikenen (sp?) rumours.

Not many big free agents this summer to sign. Essentially the only way Calgary is going to get another scoring threat for next year is if they package together a bunch of players for someone who can score more goals next year.

Hakkola
05-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
like Lowe did in Edmonton in getting Samsanov or when Sutter didn't pull through with the Joikenen (sp?) rumours.

:werd: Jokinen would have been a great addition, one of my favorite players, you can look back at my posts, I was pissed that Sutter didn't pick up any offence, and that's what killed our playoff drive.

toyboy88
05-06-2006, 02:41 PM
we need at least 1 "decent" offensive player to score more IMO

R!zz0
05-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Could it be that maybe sutter wants his players to play more defence then offence? Look at the offence we have. Amonte, Lombardi, Donovan, Kobasew, Huselius, Nilson, Langkow and few others. Most NHL teams would love to get their hands on some of out players because they can score goals. I think our offence can score alot of goals and click with Iggy if sutter lets them play their game. We all know that Sutter is very demanding and it's either his way or be benched and i don't think players want to be benched so they play his style (More defence then offence)

Just my 02 cents.

Ajay
05-06-2006, 04:10 PM
In today's NHL defense isn't going to win you a Stanley Cup. I was watching the Ottawa/Buffalo game and honestly if Calgary did make it to the Stanley Cup and had to play one of those two teams they would be hard pressed to keep up with their run and gun play. Sure Calgary shut down Ottawa when they played this year but that was once and early in the season.

Hockey isn't a game where defense will win you a championship. A good defense can and will win you say a Superbowl but not a Stanley Cup. Next year they're gonna have to get someone to help out on the offensive side or at least have more of those said scorers step up to the plate. Amonte is no substitute for the offense Conroy helped with....look at Conroy this year in LA....he had a career season!

Whoever is in charge next year should play the defense game for sure because Calgary has one of the best defensive teams in the league but the coach is gonna have to let natural gifted scorers like Iginla, Kobasew, and Lombardi play their game.

three.eighteen.
05-06-2006, 04:38 PM
2 words...brad richards

HyperZell
05-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
In today's NHL defense isn't going to win you a Stanley Cup. I was watching the Ottawa/Buffalo game and honestly if Calgary did make it to the Stanley Cup and had to play one of those two teams they would be hard pressed to keep up with their run and gun play. Sure Calgary shut down Ottawa when they played this year but that was once and early in the season.

Hockey isn't a game where defense will win you a championship. A good defense can and will win you say a Superbowl but not a Stanley Cup. Next year they're gonna have to get someone to help out on the offensive side or at least have more of those said scorers step up to the plate. Amonte is no substitute for the offense Conroy helped with....look at Conroy this year in LA....he had a career season!

Whoever is in charge next year should play the defense game for sure because Calgary has one of the best defensive teams in the league but the coach is gonna have to let natural gifted scorers like Iginla, Kobasew, and Lombardi play their game.

I agree with you that Calgary needs more than just defence, but not because of what you said in your post.

1. Calgary shut Ottawa down early in the season. That was when Ottawa was playing their best.

2. A good defence CAN win you a cup - just ask New Jersey. It all depends on HOW good your defence is.

3. Yeah, look at Conroy's great year with the Kings...who didn't make the playoffs.

4. The coach next year should play the defensive game but let scorers play their own game? Wtf?

Right idea, wrog reasons.

Hakkola
05-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

2. A good defence CAN win you a cup - just ask New Jersey. It all depends on HOW good your defence is.

Throw that out, new rules, this is a more offence minded game, less clutching and grabbing, the the trap has been subdued.

Hell you know what, look at New Jersey now, still a defensive minded team, but they have Elias, Gionta, Madden etc... these guys can score.

HyperZell
05-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Throw that out, new rules, this is a more offence minded game, less clutching and grabbing, the the trap has been subdued.

Hell you know what, look at New Jersey now, still a defensive minded team, but they have Elias, Gionta, Madden etc... these guys can score.

LOL @ Madden, but I guess that was a bad example. Especially considering how badly they got blown out today...

But my point is that you can't just blindly say "defence can't win". What if you defence was perfect, and you never let in goals? Not going to happen, I know, but defence can still win...it's just going to take a lot more with the new rules.

Hakkola
05-06-2006, 08:43 PM
If you were the flames and you didn't let in any goals you'd still find a way to lose. :rofl:

By the way, Madden usually comes out to play in the playoffs, I think he scored a hat trick one game in the last series, more than I can say for Iginla. :dunno:

GQNammer
05-06-2006, 08:50 PM

Right idea, wrog reasons.

Good thing they didn't lose 6-0 to Carolina today.

HyperZell
05-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by GQNammer

Good thing they didn't lose 6-0 to Carolina today.

LOL @ Madden, but I guess that was a bad example. Especially considering how badly they got blown out today...

SWEET, let's just hit reply with the first smartass comment that comes to mind without reading anything else in the thread!

MilanoRedTeg
05-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
Could it be that maybe sutter wants his players to play more defence then offence? Look at the offence we have. Amonte, Lombardi, Donovan, Kobasew, Huselius, Nilson, Langkow and few others. Most NHL teams would love to get their hands on some of out players because they can score goals. I think our offence can score alot of goals and click with Iggy if sutter lets them play their game. We all know that Sutter is very demanding and it's either his way or be benched and i don't think players want to be benched so they play his style (More defence then offence)

Just my 02 cents.

Are you kidding me!?!?! a couple of those players you named above definitely can NOT score, maybe garbage goals but we need more then that.

For Example Amonte needs to go hes definitely at the end of the rope for him, time to trade him or release him. IMO anyway.:thumbsup:

A_3
05-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Ahhh here we go again.

Number 1.

Sutter always plays bull shit with the media. It has been documented many times where Sutter tells the media one thing, and then does the complete opposite.

Number 2.

The Jokinen rumour was nothing more then just that, a rumour. That was stirred up by the media to create some interest in an otherwise boring year. The guy signed a long term contract shortly before there trade deadline, there was no way he was coming to town.

Number 3.

Lowe did nothing special for the Oilers. If they win the big SC (which they won't, not with Roll-over in net) I may take this comment back. However, I dare any of you to take a look at next years UFA's in E-town and not balk at the list of players they need to resign to hold that team together.

Number 4.

We have a great nucleus of players in Calgary. Unfortunately we drew the team with the hottest second half of the season in the whole NHL as our first round match-up. We didn't have the juice, or scoring to beat them, but it's not the end of the world, the Ducks are a good team also. You don't get 103 point and win the hardest division in sports with a poor nucleus.

Number 5.

The NHL is not about pure offense, nor is it about pure defense. I see posts where people are saying teams like Buffalo and Ottawa are pure offense. Not true. They are both defensive strong holds. Ottawa has a defensive core that rivals are own and Buffalo has two of the hottest net minders in the game behind another solid defense.

What the NHL is really about it balance. Right now the Flames focus is too much on defense so we lack any offensive creativity. It for sure wasn't our defense that lost us the Anahiem series. Therefore we need to make the proper adjustments to our roster and game approach to strike this balance.

Imagine our defensive core with average NHL scoring? Gives me the shivers.

Number 6.

Flames bandwagoners make me sick. The day after game 7 I was scrolling down my msn list and the most 'gung-ho-die-hard' Flames 'fans' had names like 'The Calgary Shames'. Give me a fucking break. We had an awesome season, but we just didn't have it in the playoffs. Tough shit, these things happen. You can't do 2004 every year.

Number 7.

Sutter is not a dumb man. He took a gamble by creating a defensive minded team in the new NHL and it obviously didn't pan out the way one would hope. I don't believe their are many GM's as hockey savvy as Sutter in the entire league. He'll do the necessary tinkering and add the appropriate pieces to make us play off competitive again. Believe you-me, he knows how to approach the game a little better then all of us, or else we would have his job right now.

Number 8.

Teams like Ottawa, Dallas, Detroit, New York, Colarado, etc... are not going to last long in the new NHL. These teams were lucky enough to sign the major pieces of their talent before the salary cap was put in place. Under the new rules, they will not be able to afford many of the talents on their respective teams, and thus the teams will be broken up... creating more parody in the league.

Sutter has created, and signed the major pieces of a realistic core of players that he can keep together under the cap. Therefore the Flames will remain a competitive team over a long period of time, where as, many of these other teams are going to have to suffer rebuilding periods when they can no longer afford to sign their stars.

ZEDGE
05-06-2006, 10:28 PM

But my point is that you can't just blindly say "defence can't win". What if you defence was perfect, and you never let in goals? Not going to happen, I know, but defence can still win...it's just going to take a lot more with the new rules.

And thats why the Flames are one of the most boring teams in hockey to watch. Too much defense, to much clutching and grabbing, half the game is played along the boards.. I am a Flames fan but thats just the hard truth.

l8braker
05-06-2006, 10:29 PM
A_3: I agree with what you said there. But I don't fault any of the fans for being disgraced by the team and changing names, taking flags off cars, etc., the flames disgraced us and our entire city with that shit effort in game. 7. If they actually put forth something it would be a different story, but we have already beaten that to death.

I also think it might be time for the team to re-evaluate Iggy and what he will do for the team in the future. We can unload him now and get something decent in return, we should consider it. IMO.

Sutter is the BS king, so good for him.

A_3
05-06-2006, 10:42 PM
I agree the Flames effort in game 7 was not up to par. However, at that point in the series the team was seriously frustrated by the Ducks. The Ducks were playing a tight tight tight defense and just waiting for our mistakes. This is the same game we typically play, however, there wingers are faster then our wingers and thus they were able to take advantage of it much more. The Flames had thrown everything they had at the Ducks and nothing was working. They were so poor in game 7, not because they didn't want to win it, but instead because they couldn't figure out a way to win it. They looked confused and lost in game 7 because of this, but I don't think for a second that any of them did not desperately want to win. They just had nothing there to work with.

I won't stand for any Iggy bashing. We would have been fucked without Iggy during that series. Absolutely, positively fucked, the only reason we were in many of the games was because of him. He had his heart on the line for the team, but no one else came to his aid.

Iggy had a slow start to the season because of the lay off, but he had his best second half ever. He was super clutch in the playoffs and did what the best captains do, put the team on his back and carried them.

Aftering seeing this series there is no other guy I would want on my team other then Iggy. We're paying him 7 million a year and he's worth every penny.

The Flames problem is not Iggy!

The Flames just need more guys around Iggy to give him the support when he needs it. This was the purpose of a guy like Amonte (whom we got for fairly cheap), unfortunately, his age is showing out their, but still a worthy addition to the Flames. Langkow is a good center. But he's not a set up man, he's a scrappy two-way player, and he lacks the edge that Iggy needs at center. Huselius is a winger, and although supremely talented, would not be an effective center.

If Iggy ever gets one or two serious talents around him (cmon Sakic or Elias (I WISH!!!)) he would be unstoppable. He played a great series and earned his pay check this year. Unfortunately, a few others around him did not.

cman
05-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Iginla sold his house, I wonder if he moved to something bigger and better with his cool $7 million or if he knows something we dont.
hmmmmmmmm:rofl:

max_boost
05-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Elias is unrestricted. The man has been on fire since he came back.

Brad Richards is a restricted free agent I believe and will cost 3-4 draft picks, presuming Tampa Bay won't match the offer.

So here goes my plug for good ole Marc Savard! Bring that guy back. He had a crazy year in Atlanta, and had awesome chemistry with Iggy in the past. Bring back Marc Savard! The only reason he left the first time around was that while he was injured, Conroy got to play with Iginla, that really upset him. Later he became disgruntled with the coach etc.etc. I still remember him saying in the news conference, "Can I have Iggy back"?

Marc Savard would be an awesome addition. :thumbsup: :goflames:

googe
05-06-2006, 11:24 PM
trade iggy for ovechkin and were good :D

A_3
05-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

So here goes my plug for good ole Marc Savard! Bring that guy back. He had a crazy year in Atlanta, and had awesome chemistry with Iggy in the past. Bring back Marc Savard! The only reason he left the first time around was that while he was injured, Conroy got to play with Iginla, that really upset him. Later he became disgruntled with the coach etc.etc. I still remember him saying in the news conference, "Can I have Iggy back"?

Tampa will let The Midget (St.Louis) and Lecavalier walk before they let Richards go if they have any brains at GM (although Fiester isn't too bright, wtf happend to bringing in a legit goalie at the deadline). I highly doubt we can get our hands on Richards, although i'd be doing back flips if we could.

Sutter won't bring Savard back. Iggy and Savard continue to be great friends, and Savard is lighting it up in ATL. However, Savard is a known locker room cancer. The kind of player who is all about 'me'. He'll take the most money wherever he can get it. Sutter typically goes for team guys, who want group success as opposed to individual success. Savard is also a bit of a floater on the ice, not the hard working players that Sutter likes.

If we can get him cheap, i'd love to see him and Iggy light it up together. I just doubt that it will occur knowing what kind of guy he is, and knowing what Sutter looks for in his players.