PDA

View Full Version : Korean Food

CaptainReboot
05-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Where is a good restaurant to go for Korean BBQ?

I want to take my mom out on Mother's day for it.

I hear Korean Village behind the Calgary Tower is pretty good.

Any thoughts?

Sorath
05-07-2006, 11:55 AM
flamingos i think it was 11th ave and 11thst?

best ive ever had

GQBalla
05-07-2006, 12:24 PM
the place near the kfc just in montgomery. near the safeway
just off 16th ave is pretty good

cujo_cjc
05-07-2006, 01:17 PM
I like this place called Korean Village
Its on 10th Ave I believe by the mustard seed

5.9 R/T
05-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Accross the street from Earnest Manning HS. Best Korean in town.

muse017
05-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

:werd: :werd: :werd:
best korean food in town
Yes, I am a korean and i know what i am talking about.

GQBalla
05-07-2006, 03:26 PM
yes i agree^^^ has some damn good bugolgi (spelling?)

CaptainReboot
05-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

What's the name of this restaurant?

Das_Amaretto
05-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Bow Bulgogi House is the best, and has been for years.

It's on 17 Ave and 35 St SW.

CasperWho
05-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Das_Amaretto

:thumbsup: :werd:

eblend
05-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Bow Bulgogi House and Korean Village are by far my two most favourite, i go to either depending which is closer at the time :thumbsup:

dragonone
05-08-2006, 05:59 AM
korean village: can't stand the lady owner, last time i was there i think i over cooked or burnt the beef, she started bitching to me about how hard it would be to clean it (i thought that was covered by the cost of the food or tips wtf)

bow bulgogi: it was great last time i went, tho i've heard my frnd tell me that the taste is on a downwards slope

place beside ppl/code when it was still around:
i have to admit it doesn't taste as gd as korean village, but it was pretty close. the appetizers are not as good now that it changed hands, but the other dishes are still pretty good

flamingo: WORST korean food i've ever had in my life, agreed by all my friend if that matters. i went there once 'cause they still let you smoke there, and my frnds loved that idea. bad idea

so if you have no problem with the ppl at korean village, that'd be the place i recommend

anyone try that place near yamato sushi around churchill?

chong_wallace
05-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
Accross the street from Earnest Manning HS. Best Korean in town.

Originally posted by Das_Amaretto

:drool: :thumbsup:

benyl
05-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Korean Village: Best food but absolutely the WORST service. It is so bad, that my mom has boycotted the place.

Bow Bulgogi: Great food, but the service is slow. Haven't been in a while, it may be faster now.

There is a new place that just opened up on 17th ave SE. Called Korea House or something. The food was pretty good and the service wasn't bad. Worth a shot.

One of the best places that I have ever been to is Jang Mo Jib (in Vancouver). It is on Robson near Denman. Went there Sat night. That is what Korean food needs to be in this city.

I too am Korean (well half any way) and know what I am talking about.

Where ever you go, don't plan on going out after dinner as you will smell like the food you just ate. The smell gets in your clothes, your hair and most definetly on your breath!

phreezee
05-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Koryo! j/k
I just want the recipe for Koryo Potatoes! Anybody?

j0nblayz
05-08-2006, 12:36 PM
haha, koryo beef and chicken special is the best!! yeah those potatoes are amazing, i go there all the time for lunch at work.

awd
05-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Bow Bulgogi House on 17th ave is the best in cowtown.

CaptainReboot
05-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Thanks for all the input. We'll be going to Bow Bulgogi since that seems to be the most popular answer.

Any comments on what we should try?

CasperWho
05-08-2006, 03:53 PM
The daily special! :D

benyl
05-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by CaptainReboot

Any comments on what we should try?

Um... the bul-gogi? ;)

szw
05-08-2006, 04:34 PM
I haven't been to that restauraunt but my favourite korean dish is this bowl of cold noodles, spicy, kinda sticky, usuallyl has cut up apples in it, hard boiled egg. Anyone know the name of this dish?

Altezza
05-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Summary of my experiences at Korean Village and the Nazi service lady:
- She refused to turn on A/C one time I was there and didn't give us a reason why; she refused to open the front door to let cooler air in as well
- She refused to let us order something cuz it "takes too long to make"
- She refused to let us cancel an order cuz it never came by the time we were done everything else
- She won't let a party of 3 sit in a booth for 4 even if they are all empty
- She refused to bring us water since she said we already had tea to drink

Enjoy!

Altezza
05-09-2006, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by szw
I haven't been to that restauraunt but my favourite korean dish is this bowl of cold noodles, spicy, kinda sticky, usuallyl has cut up apples in it, hard boiled egg. Anyone know the name of this dish?

Jap Chae?

dragonone
05-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by benyl

One of the best places that I have ever been to is Jang Mo Jib (in Vancouver). It is on Robson near Denman. Went there Sat night. That is what Korean food needs to be in this city.

:thumbsup:

that place on alexandra in richmond has awful service tho

gatorade
05-10-2006, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by szw

I had that too and I thought it was a mistake that the noodles were cold

fcuk_it
05-10-2006, 12:32 AM
does anyone know where they have korean hot pot in calgary...

hammock
05-10-2006, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by szw
Originally posted by Altezza

Jap Chae?

no man, that's Bibim Neng-Myun

the cold noodles in the soup that you add mustard, sugar and vinegar is Mool Neng-Myun, and Bow Bulgogi is by far the best in Calgary for this.

Das_Amaretto
05-10-2006, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by fcuk_it
does anyone know where they have korean hot pot in calgary...

Haven't been for that in a while, but I'm pretty it was Regency down in chinatown that we went to for that.

BoS_DC2
05-10-2006, 03:51 AM
lol i found this when i searched for Bow Bulgogi (http://www.ffwdweekly.com/Issues/2003/0710/food.htm)

clem24
05-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Personally, I wasn't terribly impressed with Bow Bulgogi. Their Bulgogi is good, but everything else on the menu is kinda so-so. Plus, their selection is very limited. A lot of the items I ordered were totally not what I expected.

I hear that Korean Village is authentic, but it sounds to me like the Montgomery place is worth checking out.

If you ever to go Edmonton, there's a place called Bulgogi House. Their prices are very good, and their food is even better. My Korean friend goes there a lot cause it's really good. Definitely the best Korean I've had (besides eating at my friend's house!).

muse017
05-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Bow's food is way too sweet for most of koreans(Well,At least most of my friends). The reason they have slow service is that they usually grilled right after they get your order.(Most of the places in calgary normally pre-cook them)

Like I said in my previous post, try Club house, this place is by far the best korean restaurant in calgary.
Oh one more thing to add, I went to the Dae-jang-kum on 11th ave, I had really bad experience. Fre&*ing got food poisoning from their food.

clem24
05-11-2006, 10:24 AM
What's club house? The name of the Montgomery place? So far the name seems to be a mystery.

Off topic, but while you're in Montgomery, head over to Sushi Bar Miki across from the Safeway! They have awesome Takoyaki (those mushy squid balls you get in Japan)!! Not sure where else in Calgary you can get those. The rest of their menu is awesome too! :drool:

benyl
05-11-2006, 10:29 AM
The name of the place in Montgomery is Club House. Used to be white man food until Koreans bought the place. Early on, I went there and there were still white people ordering steak and fries.

Rocky
05-15-2006, 10:58 PM
I just wanted to say I went to Bow Bulgogi cuz of this thread, and loved it. I'm not much of a korean or asian cuisine connosieur, but it was quite tasty all the same. A good starting point IMO.

CaptainReboot
05-17-2006, 11:48 AM
I went to Bow Bulgogi and it was quite good. The only problem was that we didn't really know what to order except the bulgogi, and we were all still hungry after!

clem24
05-17-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by CaptainReboot
I went to Bow Bulgogi and it was quite good. The only problem was that we didn't really know what to order except the bulgogi, and we were all still hungry after!

Man, just order and eat! Who cares what you're eating. :nut: Other than live octopus sashimi, I don't think there's anything really outrageous out there... Is there? :dunno:

Alpine Autowerks
05-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by clem24

Man, just order and eat! Who cares what you're eating. :nut: Other than live octopus sashimi,

what??? that was one of cornerstones of my diet when I worked in Korea

oh the crap I ate there.

even the cows esophagus was good , they serve it is short tubes that you BBQ...both ends roll over like a mushroom when it is cooked.

benyl
05-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Just beware of the garlic breath!

hammock
05-18-2006, 12:51 PM
I love the octopus sashimi.. moving around on the plate when served. Just drop them in the hot sauce, and they coat themselves, wrapping and twisting around your chopsticks. Make sure to chew well so they don't latch onto your throat on the way down!

The weirdest thing I ate in Korea was barbecue pork skin. It is the epidemis of a pig (about 2 cm thick) barbecued. Texture was chewy (imagine biting into a callus), you could see the hair follicles on the thick skin. Dunno if I would try again sober.

clem24
05-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by hammock
I love the octopus sashimi.. moving around on the plate when served. Just drop them in the hot sauce, and they coat themselves, wrapping and twisting around your chopsticks. Make sure to chew well so they don't latch onto your throat on the way down!

The weirdest thing I ate in Korea was barbecue pork skin. It is the epidemis of a pig (about 2 cm thick) barbecued. Texture was chewy (imagine biting into a callus), you could see the hair follicles on the thick skin. Dunno if I would try again sober.

WTF?!? Wouldn't you think the octopus is weirder than the pig skin?? I mean, you can get pork rinds here too! :lol: Or just go to Chinatown and pick up a whole roasted pig, completely with skin intact (the best part!). And at least the skin was cooked...

My friend was telling about the bigger octopus: you eat it and the tentacles kinda glue themselves to your face. Then you just start peeling each one off and chewing.

This sounds so disgusting, but at the same time, intriguing. I think I'd like to try it once.

5.9 R/T
05-18-2006, 11:57 PM

WTF?!? Wouldn't you think the octopus is weirder than the pig skin?? I mean, you can get pork rinds here too! :lol: Or just go to Chinatown and pick up a whole roasted pig, completely with skin intact (the best part!). And at least the skin was cooked...

My friend was telling about the bigger octopus: you eat it and the tentacles kinda glue themselves to your face. Then you just start peeling each one off and chewing.

This sounds so disgusting, but at the same time, intriguing. I think I'd like to try it once.

Do you get a Bud Light when you order it?

DowntownCowboy
05-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Anyone have the exact address & phone number to Club House in Montgomery?

Or directions from downtown? I'd like to try it.

benyl
05-23-2006, 10:23 AM
It is on 16th ave and Home road. NW corner of the intersection in that strip mall.

clem24
05-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Hey anyone try the Korean place across from Churchill? It's called Hankang Korean Restaurant. It's in the strip mall by Koreana Brother's store.

muse017
05-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Hey anyone try the Korean place across from Churchill? It's called Hankang Korean Restaurant. It's in the strip mall by Koreana Brother's store.

Pretty good food there as well, little bit pricy tho...

Kimchee
05-24-2006, 01:55 PM
the bulgogi and kimchee burps are the worst...haha

i live and breathe korean food and theres been to many instances of going to the club after eating korean and burping up korean food....the chicks dig it!!!....hahaha

my parents used to own the best korean restaurant in town (Gaya Korean Restaurant, close by the back alley and hooters), but now i'd have to give props to Bow Bulgogi and Korean Village. I dont really like the clubhouse as the food is bland (kalbi and bulgogi).

if anyone has a chance to go to banff, go try the korean place there called Seoul Oak....pretty good there....:thumbsup:

Foz
05-28-2006, 12:54 AM
Went to club house today.. boy the service really sucked.

I had a crack in my tea cup and she wouldn't change it, saying it's not leaking.

Hell, couldn't crack a smile from her either.

Food was so so.. we prefer going to the one in the Korean plaza.. much better bulgogi and kimchi soups.