PDA

View Full Version : Review: 2006 Hyundai Tiburon GT

A790
05-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Ooh, what have we here?

The first words to come from my mouth, and it certainly didn't end there...

I was at work two years ago hanging eavestrough. The 2004 model year cars had just come out. I found it easy to point them out and name what they were, who made them and how powerful they were. When this car drove by I was beside myself. I didn't know who made it, how much power it had, or what it even was for that matter.

I would soon find myself oogling at pictures of this vehicle on the internet thinking to myself "is that really a Hyundai?"

Really a Hyundai...

It was, in fact, the Hyundai Tiburon GT that I had laid my eyes upon. Oh, what a sight for sore eyes. It had so many things that I, as a young male driver, sought after and desired: a sexy, sleek body; a V6 engine that had strong promises; a host of standard features that I'd never had before; and lastly, a price point that made me take a second look.

A fully loaded Tiburon (the Tuscani 6spd) comes at a price of $28,000 CDN. A bit of haggling and you could probably swing it for $26,000 without much struggle. The base model came at a mere $22,000, with power everything and an AM/FM/CD player to boot (but only a weak 2.0L 4 banger with 140HP).

Driving Impressions...

Now, let me say that I have not driven a billion different cars of every type and make. I don't care if this car has a stickier transmission than that car; the fact of the matter being that if I enjoy driving the car, and that I enjoy the vehicle in its entirety, then I am a happy guy. The Tiburon handled well, it drove well, accelerated well and stopped well.

Let's just say that his car does everything well.

The 6 speed transmission was easy enough to shift and the clutch felt precise and more than satisfied my driving habits. Taking off was easy, responsive and quick. One thing I noticed about this car is that it is not a fast car, but a quick one. It was never slow, but never seemed to have the insane rush of speed that most tuners long for.

For a sport compact I felt that it certainly led the bunch that I had driven (RSX Premium, Focus ZX3, Ion2 and Acura Integra).

Overall, it was a very enjoyable drive.

The car handles well enough, though it does come off nose heavy. Understeer is prevailant under hard acceleration when coming out of a corner, but it's managable (no where near the SRT-4, for example). A set of lowering springs should really tighten up it's ride and get rid of the body roll.

Inside...

The interior of the Tiburon is one of its brightest areas. Everything is furnished in good quality materials and certainly looks as sharp as the exterior. Unlike some others, I quite enjoy the black interior.

All the dials, gauges, and instruments were easy to read. Mind you, I don't wear glasses or contacts. All the moving guages and dials certainly created quite the show for my passengers who were constantly going "what is that, is that a boost gauge?" No, it certainly wasn't a boost gauge. Though, this car is certainly the kind of car that would love a turbo.

The car is definitely a 2 by 2, and the rear seats are much more practical than comparable sport coupes. The rear passengers should have decent room, but watch their heads when closing the hatch. I wouldn't want to see anyone knocked unconscious.

I would also like to note that unlike some newer cars, the Tiburon’s radio can be removed and replaced with ease (take that Mazda3).

And so...

This car is very solid for a Korean entry. This car has changed my opinion on Hyundai/Kia and that perhaps they can offer a sport coupe with very respectable acceleration and handling, while remaining price concious and competitive.

Exterior: 4/5
Interior: 4/5
Roominess: 3/5
Drivability: 4/5
Overall: 4/5
Overall in segment: 4/5

Buyers looking at the Tiburon GT 6 speed should also look at the Honda Civic Si or the Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged.

Tik-Tok
05-07-2006, 04:04 PM
My wife is looking into buying one of these, she loves the looks and style, the inerior is great and fits her like a glove.

We tried taking one out for a test drive from Calgary Hyundai, those people don't know how to sell a car. Only 2 sales people there (we were told later after a angry phone call to the sales manager), it took 15 minutes just to talk to someone, then we went out to the car and it was dirty as schizer, had a dead battery, and two flat front tires. After the sales guy boosted the car, he said the tires were fine... BULL%$#@, they were obviously 15-20 psi low.

Then he had the gaul to look at me and say "you don't want your wife to buy a tiburon do you?"

It's taken me 3 years to convice my wife to buy foreign (even though I have a mustang), and our first visit there he has the gaul to insult our intelligence.

Good looking car though, I look forward to driving to Red Deer to test drive and possibly buy one from there.

A790
05-07-2006, 04:36 PM
I had a hugely bad experience with Calgary Hyundai Suzuki, and wouldn't recommend them to someone I didn't like.

Try Precision Hyundai in Macleod.

guessboi
05-07-2006, 04:41 PM
^ dunno much about calgary hyundai. but I got my other car from the other side, aka. calgary suzuki. and there is this brown guy called BK. he's the assistant new car manager and he is always there. I dunno if he is allow to sell hyundais...but give it a try. he is one of the best sales person out there. plus he is very much negotiable. otherwise try the other hyundai dealership at macleod before you head out to red deer.

Xtrema
05-08-2006, 09:33 AM
I believe Tiburon is a notch below the usual suspect of compact sport cars.

It's not as strong as Colbat SS and not as fine as Civic Si. Doesn't have the monster low end torque of GTI.

The V6 has the appetite of your typical Toyota or Nissan 3.5L V6 but has the power of their 2.4L I4s.

One thing Tibby got going for it is the Italian styling which make it quite unique in the field.

But at $29K for Tuscani 6sp, it has the lowest performance for the $$. I'll jump into a GTI before I would entertain a Tibby.

Cobalt SS: $24K
Civic Si: $26K
GTI: $29K

I believe Hyundai is dropping Tibby in a year or 2 due to slow sale. So if you want one, get one now or you'll have to go used.

rockym20
05-08-2006, 09:45 AM
The Tiburon won't be dropped, but will be redone next year (as a 2008 model). However, there are rumours they are going to take it upscale and compete in the RX-8/350Z market.

Xtrema
05-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by rockym20
The Tiburon won't be dropped, but will be redone next year (as a 2008 model). However, there are rumours they are going to take it upscale and compete in the RX-8/350Z market.

http://www.sfondideldesktop.com/Images-Cars/Hyundai/Hcd8/Hcd8-0002/Hcd8-0002.jpg

HCD-8, rumored to be renamed as Tuscani. Tibby is gone. The up market move means it cannot and should not be called a Tibby anymore.

90s_tuner
05-08-2006, 10:05 AM
And after all that its still a Hyundai...

NO offence to Hyundai owners.

b_t
05-08-2006, 10:08 AM
My God that HCD-8 doesn't deserve to ever see production, its hideous!!! I do like the Tiburon though, one of the only sport compact FWDs you can get with a V6.

Xtrema
05-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by 90s_tuner
And after all that its still a Hyundai...

NO offence to Hyundai owners.

Well, I find myself checking out Hyundai and Kia now where 4 or 5 years ago I won't even entertain the idea.

While they all still fall short of the Japaneses (hence lower price, more features), they are catching up fast. I probably won't mind seeing myself in one in another 4-5 years if they keep improving.

90s_tuner
05-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Don't get me wrong, I had a rental KIA Spectra that I bagged on HARD. It took it like a champ. As far as value goes they are great. I just don't see myself purchasing a high end Hyundai as a car to feel proud of.

Tik-Tok
05-08-2006, 12:20 PM
It may not be all that powerful, but it's sexy, my wife loves the looks and feel of the interior, and the most attractive thing over any other competitor 10 year warranty!!! For someone like my wife who isn't going to do any modding, it's a great deal.

A790
05-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
It may not be all that powerful, but it's sexy, my wife loves the looks and feel of the interior, and the most attractive thing over any other competitor 10 year warranty!!! For someone like my wife who isn't going to do any modding, it's a great deal.

I say go for it. It's a fun little car.

Xtrema
05-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Only Mitusbishi does 10 year major component, 5 year comprehensive. Hyundai is only 5 year comprehensive, 2 more vs Japaneses 3/5.

Tik-Tok
05-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Only Mitusbishi does 10 year major component, 5 year comprehensive. Hyundai is only 5 year comprehensive, 2 more vs Japaneses 3/5.

Ah, so your right, where did i get that 10 year from? Maybe it's their extended plan?

Aleks
05-08-2006, 12:36 PM
From the commercials you see on TV. It is/was 10 years in United States.

guessboi
05-08-2006, 12:37 PM
go for it. I'll say the I4 is a better buy than the V6 in the tibby since the V6 isn't that powerful and your wife can save some gas.
styling wise is awesome IMO. and yes only mitsu has the 10 yr warranty.