PDA

View Full Version : Ways to speed up metabolism?

Alex_FORD
05-07-2006, 10:53 PM
a guy at work tells me to eat lots of low calorie foods like salad, and to do cardio sessions 20 minutes a day, hopefully twice daily.

I think I can build muscle easier than I can lose body fat through cardio, couldn't I just focus on building some more muscle?

1-Cent
05-07-2006, 10:58 PM
ECA
YNCA
YECA
Plain ol ephedrine or Yohimbe HCL
Clen... of course :D
DNP
Caffine alone will to some extent but if you already drink it often it'll be useless.

jcrules99
05-07-2006, 11:05 PM
well to answer the thread title, the main way to speed up metabolism is water! drink at least 8-10 glasses of water everyday, caffeine helps too i think

for cardio, i just run a mile everyday, takes about 9 to 11 minutes depending on my speed, but i feel that its intense enough to increase my heart rate and get me sweating lol, for starting out just run as long as you can, and then increase that time by a minute every few days

for eating, just watch what you eat... everything that goes in your mouth, think about how its gonna affect ur body overall, a burger and fries might taste good while your eating it, which is about 10-15 minutes, but too burn off all the calories that you get from eating them, you would have to run for over an hour, and if your just maintaining the calorie count, theres no way your gonna be able to lose weight, i am not sure but i think the recommended amount of calories in a day for a person on a diet is 1700-2000, theres a set formula for it but i am too lazy to look around haha, your gonna have to put some effort into it

for building muscle, working out is the obvious choice but for that muscle to show, you have to bring your bodyfat down

moral of the story, i am speakin from past experiences, if you want to build muscle, STICK TO IT, even if you get setback a couple times, keep going at it, good luck

vrooom
05-07-2006, 11:08 PM
speeding up metabolism:

-do your workout ~20 mins b4 you eat, your meatabolsim will be all revved up
-eat spicier foods, hot foods also increses metabloic activity

BigShow
05-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by jcrules99
well to answer the thread title, the main way to speed up metabolism is water! drink at least 8-10 glasses of water everyday

:werd: Water!!!

wildrice
05-07-2006, 11:14 PM
What about ways to slow down metabolism?

jcrules99
05-07-2006, 11:16 PM
^ haha alcohol is the only thing i can think of

Akagi
05-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Okay for raising motabolism You must exorcise every day.
I would stay within your * cardio vascular * heart rate limits during these sessions.

Also eat smaller meals 6 - 8 times a day, rather then 3 large meals, this will ensure you are continously taking in the right proteins, carbs, and nutrience that your body needs and it wont feel its starving so it wont cut back the amount of calories you burn and keep your motabolism up.

Now you have a false realization.
Cardio * DOES NOT * build muscle... if you are in an Anerobic zone.. which means you exorcise so vigorously that oxygen does not oxygenate the bloodstream then yes you will build some muscle and strength * ie long disance runners *

however this will work negatively for losing weight and raising motabolism.
you wanto work out at a cardio vascular zone where the blood still gets oxygenated, or even at a * fat * burn zone, which is around 130 beats per minute.

Now Cardio doesnt build muscle, it actually detereorates the muscle fibres in your body, due to the fact when you exorcise exesively your body eats away some muscle fibre aswell as fat to gain all the nutrients and calories it needs to continue processing etc.

This is why most body builders do not like cardio...

Also * DO NOT * try and lose weight AND gain muscle at the same time, this program does not work as well for most of the poeple out there. It is to difficult for your body to lose fat, and build muscle, since both takes allot of energy doing both at the same time will just exaust your body and you'll achieve niether goals very quickly.

I would say take a month to a month and a half, do cardio 45 min - 1 hour a day

* best time is first thing in the morning before you eat * just drink a cup of water and work out on an empty stomach *

then eat 6 small meals a day. to keep your motabolism up.

You wanto cut back on carbs * DONT get rid of them completely your body needs them for fuel *

eat higher amounts of protein, * protein takes more energy to break down in your body, thus it burns more calories and raises your motabolism more when you eat it*

and eat vegetables!! Great carbs and great nutrience.

DONT EAT WHITE CARBS!!!!! White bread.... white rice etc is no good.
you want carbo hydrates generated from Fibre, brown rice, brown bread, brown pasta.

NO WHITES!! other then eggs.

this is because the carbs are used differnetly, they are more of an advantage to you and these foods contain protein aswell.

once you've done this for a month or two and started taking off some weight

Then spend a month or two on an intense training program>

since your concern will be putting on muscle, cut your cardio sessions back to 20 minutes a day, right after a work out * NO LONGER * or you'll be overusing your muscles, once they break down you want to rest them so they can grow stronger, not to over work them and have a negative affect.

You wanto start a lift program to your liking * www.bodybuilding.com *
check that site out, it will take me to long to right out the procedure for you.

Just osme for warnings
Dont lift weights any longer then 1 hour!!
ideal time is 45 minutes, and then 20 min cardio

This is becausce when you lift weights, the initial lifting you have blood flow to the muscle * this is called the pump * it works to your advantage, enhances strength, lubricates the muscles and increases the amount of stress you can put on them and how hard you can break them down

well after 45 mins the pump starts to detereorate, and then Acid * I forget what the acid is called... i'm losing my mind tonight haha *
starts to enter your musclea and actually eats away at your muscles and shortens the amount you'll build etc

Quick INTENSE work out is the way to go!

once you've lifted a certain muscle group, make sure you REST!!
lifting weights is only 30 percent of your building process... its the diet, and the Resting that makes up the remaining 70 percent.

you need 48 to 56 hours of REST on a specific muscle group for it to build back up.

This is because when you lift wieghts you tear down your muscle fibres, Then they rebuild from scratch * this is how they grow bigger and get stronger *

I could get into the science of it and the need for the muscles to adapt, to explain why they actually grow larger and why you reach plataus but I say search it yourself, this would be a 282828 page article.

during this time * EAT EAT EAT* PROTEIN.

If you dont wanto put on fat, still eat less carbohydrates however there important, protein builds muscle fibre however Carbohydrates give you the energy to put the muscle fibre together.

i'd say eat an average amount of carbs and eat the rest protein

you want protein to build!!!!!! the more protein you eat, the bigger you'll get period, aslong as your lifting hard.

also eat protein every 3 hours, Whey protein, and egg whites etc take about 3 hours to desolve out of your system, so every 3 hours you'll wanto recuperate with this so your constantly building.

This is some food for thought for you,
Now go out and do your own research and further your information ont his subject.

i've only given you some details and some bits and pieces
its your job to do the rest!

Best of luck to you bro!

1-Cent
05-07-2006, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by wildrice
What about ways to slow down metabolism?

Being on androgens or HGH for extended periods is theoried at this point to do that which is why you get big guys pre-comp taking T3 at 3% bodyfat lol. In my own experiance neither excess androgens nor HGH will hinder T3 or any pre-cursor to thryoxin.
Maybe one day my dream of being the fat kid will come true though *tear*

wildrice
05-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by 1-Cent

Being on androgens or HGH for extended periods is theoried at this point to do that which is why you get big guys pre-comp taking T3 at 3% bodyfat lol. In my own experiance neither excess androgens nor HGH will hinder T3 or any pre-cursor to thryoxin.
Maybe one day my dream of being the fat kid will come true though *tear*

Yea..I'm sick of being scrawny.

1-Cent
05-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by wildrice

Yea..I'm sick of being scrawny.

Oh I remember being skrawny :( too well

mazda_maniac
05-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Eat as soon as you wake up. It stokes your metabolism early on to burn fat all day:)

Speed_69
05-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by jcrules99
^ haha alcohol is the only thing i can think of
no wonder i'm getting so fat :banghead:

Alex_FORD
05-10-2006, 07:57 AM
So whats the concensus?

-lots of water
-6 meals instead of 3
-eat lots but choose food that won't create a problem with my daily calorie count
-aerobic workout everyday 45mins to an hour
- dont be trying to build muscle until a few months into it

....and.....

lets not forget that 1-cent can provide me with the drugs :thumbsup:

rony_espana
05-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by mazda_maniac
Eat as soon as you wake up. It stokes your metabolism early on to burn fat all day:)

Is this true, cause I never eat breakfast? Does a large double double count as breakfast?:D

1-Cent
05-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Alex_FORD

....and.....

lets not forget that 1-cent can provide me with the drugs :thumbsup:

Almost sig'able hahaha

Boosted_TL
05-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Akagi
Okay for raising motabolism You must exorcise every day.
I would stay within your * cardio vascular * heart rate limits during these sessions.

Also eat smaller meals 6 - 8 times a day, rather then 3 large meals, this will ensure you are continously taking in the right proteins, carbs, and nutrience that your body needs and it wont feel its starving so it wont cut back the amount of calories you burn and keep your motabolism up.

Now you have a false realization.
Cardio * DOES NOT * build muscle... if you are in an Anerobic zone.. which means you exorcise so vigorously that oxygen does not oxygenate the bloodstream then yes you will build some muscle and strength * ie long disance runners *

however this will work negatively for losing weight and raising motabolism.
you wanto work out at a cardio vascular zone where the blood still gets oxygenated, or even at a * fat * burn zone, which is around 130 beats per minute.

Now Cardio doesnt build muscle, it actually detereorates the muscle fibres in your body, due to the fact when you exorcise exesively your body eats away some muscle fibre aswell as fat to gain all the nutrients and calories it needs to continue processing etc.

This is why most body builders do not like cardio...

Also * DO NOT * try and lose weight AND gain muscle at the same time, this program does not work as well for most of the poeple out there. It is to difficult for your body to lose fat, and build muscle, since both takes allot of energy doing both at the same time will just exaust your body and you'll achieve niether goals very quickly.

I would say take a month to a month and a half, do cardio 45 min - 1 hour a day

* best time is first thing in the morning before you eat * just drink a cup of water and work out on an empty stomach *

then eat 6 small meals a day. to keep your motabolism up.

You wanto cut back on carbs * DONT get rid of them completely your body needs them for fuel *

eat higher amounts of protein, * protein takes more energy to break down in your body, thus it burns more calories and raises your motabolism more when you eat it*

and eat vegetables!! Great carbs and great nutrience.

DONT EAT WHITE CARBS!!!!! White bread.... white rice etc is no good.
you want carbo hydrates generated from Fibre, brown rice, brown bread, brown pasta.

NO WHITES!! other then eggs.

this is because the carbs are used differnetly, they are more of an advantage to you and these foods contain protein aswell.

once you've done this for a month or two and started taking off some weight

Then spend a month or two on an intense training program>

since your concern will be putting on muscle, cut your cardio sessions back to 20 minutes a day, right after a work out * NO LONGER * or you'll be overusing your muscles, once they break down you want to rest them so they can grow stronger, not to over work them and have a negative affect.

You wanto start a lift program to your liking * www.bodybuilding.com *
check that site out, it will take me to long to right out the procedure for you.

Just osme for warnings
Dont lift weights any longer then 1 hour!!
ideal time is 45 minutes, and then 20 min cardio

This is becausce when you lift weights, the initial lifting you have blood flow to the muscle * this is called the pump * it works to your advantage, enhances strength, lubricates the muscles and increases the amount of stress you can put on them and how hard you can break them down

well after 45 mins the pump starts to detereorate, and then Acid * I forget what the acid is called... i'm losing my mind tonight haha *
starts to enter your musclea and actually eats away at your muscles and shortens the amount you'll build etc

Quick INTENSE work out is the way to go!

once you've lifted a certain muscle group, make sure you REST!!
lifting weights is only 30 percent of your building process... its the diet, and the Resting that makes up the remaining 70 percent.

you need 48 to 56 hours of REST on a specific muscle group for it to build back up.

This is because when you lift wieghts you tear down your muscle fibres, Then they rebuild from scratch * this is how they grow bigger and get stronger *

I could get into the science of it and the need for the muscles to adapt, to explain why they actually grow larger and why you reach plataus but I say search it yourself, this would be a 282828 page article.

during this time * EAT EAT EAT* PROTEIN.

If you dont wanto put on fat, still eat less carbohydrates however there important, protein builds muscle fibre however Carbohydrates give you the energy to put the muscle fibre together.

i'd say eat an average amount of carbs and eat the rest protein

you want protein to build!!!!!! the more protein you eat, the bigger you'll get period, aslong as your lifting hard.

also eat protein every 3 hours, Whey protein, and egg whites etc take about 3 hours to desolve out of your system, so every 3 hours you'll wanto recuperate with this so your constantly building.

This is some food for thought for you,
Now go out and do your own research and further your information ont his subject.

i've only given you some details and some bits and pieces
its your job to do the rest!

Best of luck to you bro!

Very good post and information !!

~Leah~
05-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Well I decided to do a little bit of self research lately. As you may or may not know, I'm very into working out, lifting weights 3-5 days/week. Constantly changing my program and always getting stronger, but for the life of me, I couldn't lose any weight. But holy crap would I gain muscle. But along with that muscle came some chub too. So while I was incredibly built, I had this layer of fat that made me just look chubby, rather than strong.

So recently, I decided since I quit working at the gym and didn't have good weights to work with (just the 30 year old universal gym my apartment has), that I would just focus on cardio. Immediately I saw a difference, I lost some fat and some weight (obviously some muscle and water), but I was quite pleased with what I was seeing. I was getting a more "feminine" body, rather than the built body I had. But I missed lifting weights so I decided just to do a couple sets for each body part, doing a 5 day split Mon-Fri. Immediately I get the fat back! Like, just a few days after I've got the chubbyness again on my arms, shoulders, back. This goes against everything I ever learned in Kinesiology. Muscle is supposed to increase metabolism and burn more calories at rest. I didn't start eating more when I was doing weights or anything... maybe a tad more protein, I have a healthy diet, and I still can not understand this. So this week, I decide to exnay the weights again, and boom, chub is disappearing crazy fast, same diet, same routine, just without the weights.

This finding is soooo confusing to me since I've never NOT lifted weights, but it's intriguing for sure. I mean, I keep doing the same amount of cardio, with weights I get chubby... without, I lose the weight, but still have the muscle tone.

As someone who's been part of the fitness industry for years, it makes me want to learn more about why my body is doing this... but for now, I guess I'm going to keep exnaying the weights, as I'm still getting the results I want. FYI, I started doing 20 mins of cardio in the mornings before work with my HR in the 75-80% range, and I am now up to 40-45 mins in the 80-90% range. Any scientific reasoning for this would be much appreciated cuz I'm baffled. I used to make fun of the girls who would come to the gym and just do cardio and abs. Now I'm one of them :cry:

Thaco
05-10-2006, 12:58 PM
1)Always eat 30mins after waking up in the morning (this will kick start you
metabolism)
2)Go for a 20-30 minute walk, every morning (This will set your metabolism
on high for the rest of the day)
3)Eat the majority of your calories at lunch. Portion control is important
use your hand as a measuring tool, any portion larger than you palm is to
much. Sauces use yout tumb.
4)Bring your weights to work and walk 30 mins with weight doing bicep curls
and tricep kickbacks 4 sets of 10. start with 2 lbs and work your way up, to
4 lbs ( This will keep you metabolism in high gear for the rest of the
afternoon, burning more calories)
5)Come home have a light super. What I usually do is cook steak chicken or
pork and have it with a large salad NO CARBS. I try not to eat carbs after
lunch. Eating high protien and high fiber such as veggies will keep you full
all night. For a snack try popcorn or sherbert remeber portion control
popcorn 4 cups sherbert is the size of a tenis ball.
6) Also be careful of your beverages juice and pop are hidden calories.
Drink WATER MMMMmmmmm!!! You'll fell better.
7) Walk after super for about an hour either on you treadmill or make it a
family walk out side. Even taking the kids to the park and play tag for and
hour will help you lose weight and the pumpkins will come home tired and
ready for bed.
8) do not eat or exersize 2 hours before bed, the reason for this is because
this will boost your metabolism and you won't be able to sleep.

heavyD
05-10-2006, 01:00 PM
There's hundreds of theories, diets, & workout regimes but in truth you are either born with a good metabolism or your not. If you have a slow metabolism it can be improved with diet & exercise but it will be a struggle for the balance of your life. Try to get in the best shape you can but come to grips that you may never look 'model' svelte and accept yourself for who you are.

Building muscle won't make you thinner in fact it may make you pack on more fat. You need to focus on cardio & diet as well as weights.

Gen4Accord
05-10-2006, 01:03 PM
im a bigger guy myself but for that guy that feels scrawny this is for you if you hit up the gym like 3 days a week like get a session just a one time with a personal trainer they will give you a three day workout plan and also go to the health store and instead of us big guys taking low calorie low fat whey powder (protein) go and ask for a weight gainer each dose is somin like 1100 calories and who knows how much fat my friend is into body building hes only like 180 and wanted to pack on a bit so he took that now he gained 10 lbs u can still see his six pack and hes turning that gained weight into muscle

Justin

Alex_FORD
05-10-2006, 10:00 PM
First off, I'd like to say thanks for an awesome thread so far! There has been so many good posts that you've got my mind doing 100 just thinking about them.

Leah, I wonder if there is a better solution for me than swearing off the weight lifting.

Last fall,in 16 weeks - I lost about 24lbs fat and gained 1 lb lean mass while doing 2 PT sessions(weight training) per week, and 3x 1hr eliptical sessions....So I guess that whatever I was doing during those 16 weeks worked well - at least for me, of course. (btw, I did WHC body comps before and after) ........:eek: thats alot of thoughts crammed into 1 paragraph :)

Sooo.....If I was to use my past regiment as a starting point, and add the following to it, what do you think?:

- lots of water, lots more than I used to drink
- daily walks with my son, over and above the 3 eliptical sessions
- 6 meals of balanced food( or at least better than I have in the past)

AND this is a question that I have always wondered: what kind of weight training should I do, if my only goal is to slow down muscle loss?

Also, I would like to use a crude home test to evaluate my lean mass, would my maximum press be a valid test, or should I consider one of those bathroom scales that has the body fat sensors on it. Like who cares if it's acurate, i'll be happy if it is consistantly wrong, if you know what I mean :rofl:

nhlfan
05-10-2006, 10:20 PM
HIIT

iceburns288
05-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Run. Run a lot.

I can't slow mine down enough! Track ends next week though. I have to eat every other period at school or else I'm absolutely starving; my stomach empties itself in about 1.5h:eek:

Alex_FORD
05-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by nhlfan
HIIT

FFS!!!!
If I could do that, I wouldn't be asking about metabilism. :banghead:

1-Cent
05-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Alex_FORD

FFS!!!!
If I could do that, I wouldn't be asking about metabilism. :banghead:

The only way to alter it would be adding thyroid hormones, T2, T3, T4... T3 being most effective. You can temporarily through diet but a couple weeks and back to homeostasis you'll be, maybe even a few lbs heavier, very common.
But as I said the only direct way to speed it up is thyroid hormones... If you don't do any form of cardio though it won't make any difference.

Alex_FORD
05-14-2006, 03:32 AM
still trying to push drugs on me, eh?