PDA

View Full Version : Improved Fuel Economy w/ Winter Gone?

Ekliptix
03-30-2003, 06:59 PM
I'm not talking about gas used to warm up your car.

Recently, I've been getting ~11.5km/L with non-condervative city driving.

buh_buh
03-30-2003, 07:10 PM
makes sense. I noticed my fuel economy went down since winter ended. Maybe cuz I bag the shit out of it everywhere I go now hahaha.

hjr
03-30-2003, 07:14 PM
Generally milage goes down in winter so its safe to assume that it will rise with the temperature as well as fall with it.

But 11.5, what are you driving?

Ekliptix
03-30-2003, 07:18 PM
I get better mpg after the snow is gone.

b18a

I think it might be because ppl are not driving like the elderly and there is more time spent in higher gears, rather then stopping and starting like in the winter.

Daddymax
03-30-2003, 07:23 PM
well make sure you do a spring tune up too! every spring I always get a fuel filter, spark plugs, cap & rotor. But I guess I always ge ta new engine swap every spring......

THREE40SEVEN
03-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Colder ect/act= richer mixture.
Plus many people like to let their cars warm up for excessive periods of time.

Ekliptix
03-30-2003, 08:51 PM
I think cold air = denser air = more air/fuel = lean

but don't efi's keep the a/f ratio constant?
I what I wrote it right, it makes sense to use more fuel in colder weather because the air would be denser, but the a/f ration would be the same.

THREE40SEVEN
03-30-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
I think cold air = denser air = more air/fuel = lean

but don't efi's keep the a/f ratio constant?
I what I wrote it right, it makes sense to use more fuel in colder weather because the air would be denser, but the a/f ration would be the same.
Fuel doesent change states as easily (from a liquid to a gas) at colder temperatures, therefore you have to add much more fuel with a cold engine. Heat is tranfered from the engine components as the engine gets warmer, requiring less fuel.
a/f ratios are constantly changing depending on engine coolant temp (ect) air charge temperature (act), load, rpm, barometric pressure and many others.
Part throttle and idle with a warm engine should see a/f ratios of 14.64:1 properly tuned.
FYI, You CANNOT burn gasoline in a liquid state.