PDA

View Full Version : U of C Marks

kev
05-08-2006, 08:43 AM
As the School year of 05/06 is coming to a close. All the Grad 06' students are mostly looking forward to grad and all sorts. But for me, its post secondary. For the year of grade 12, i messed up my first semester ( which was not a smart idea at all ) so now i am stuck with taking chinese school 35, work ex 35, social 30, science 30, and english 30-1 all in 1 semester. I am hoping i stay in u of c in general studies. And i was just wondering if u of c, if the mark expectations are decreasing, and whether or not people that got accepted into early admission, have a better chance of staying in. I am doing my best to keep my marks up and its stressinN!! ahhh
:drama: :drama: :drama: :drama:

Mckenzie
05-08-2006, 10:20 AM
From my experience there, the people who get direct entry into faculties end up doing worse than the people who transfer form the general studies (communication and culture). This is because they do not have the pressure of attaining high grades to get into a program and are used to the work load of a high school program.

I'm not sure about whether the marks are increasing or decrasing but I got into general studies with a 75.6 high school average and then transferred to Haskayne School of Business with a 3.7 GPA. Many of my friends who got direct entry got kicked out or were put on academic probation for low grades as they did not have a goal or pressure to get good grades. My .02 anyways

cujo_cjc
05-08-2006, 10:22 AM
I doubt mark expectations would be decreasing. If anything they would stay the same or become higher? :dunno:

Did you get early acceptance?

Neil4Speed
05-08-2006, 11:51 AM
If you didn't get early acceptance, generally the averages drop in some faculties. I remember Haskane dropped around 5 percent from the early admission to the final admission.

Mckenzie has a good point, depends on your work ethic etc also though!

andres_mt
05-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Depends on the faculty, as for engineering... its decreasing.

Mckenzie
05-08-2006, 12:41 PM
When direct entry first came about for Haskayne, it dropped from 83 to 76....so 7%. I missed by 0.4%:nut:

So there is a chance that you can still make it in, but sometimes depending on the enrollment numbers the average for entry may not go down.

Go to the UofC website and check out the entrance requirements for all of the faculties.

Another option is to do your transfer program at Mount Royal College or Saint Mary's College. Entrance requirements are not so strict there and the classes are much easier.

kev
05-08-2006, 04:50 PM
i jsut learned about the Diverse Qualifications Admission which grants people that is going through hardship.
and i've actually had a rough gr 12, but the deadline was april 30th should i still try to apply?
and i was also wondering about the adimission mark for general studies is for uofc cause i was planning to go into that faculty for now and transfer into another faculty