PDA

View Full Version : Photo Taking Not Allowed in TD Square???

rayquan
05-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Has anyone of you been stopped by the security guy taking photo in TD Square? I was taking some snapshots with my kid in the mall yesterday, one security guy approached to me and asked me to stop (politely though). He said the mall was a private property, so taking photo was prohibited according to the mall's policy!!! I asked him if it was new, since it is not the first time for me to take photos in the mall (I also took some photos to practice my skill during some fashion show in front of Sears), he said no.

Raymond

BerserkerCatSplat
05-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Huh, that's a new one. I wonder what the justification for that is.

dezinr
05-08-2006, 09:40 AM
That is common across the board. Not only in Calgary. Often when we have to take photos for a project we need to get permission prior to doing so. The same goes for malls like Chinook and Market Mall. In Barcelona we were shooting pictures in this mall all ghetto style from our camera bags becuase security was all over us before that.

Part of it too has to do with privacy rights of people that may end up in your photos too. The previous firm I worked with did the renos to the Uof C fitness and we were not allowed to include any people in out photos.

Xaroxantu Zero
05-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Why is it listed as a photo hotspot (http://www.downtowncalgary.com/dynamic.php?pageId=5), then?

/////AMG
05-08-2006, 11:05 AM
I've taken some in that garden place, don't think security saw us. never knew about tis though.

craigcd
05-08-2006, 11:24 AM
We got asked to leave chinook for taking pictures of store fronts for a project. This I can understand though:)

turboMiata
05-08-2006, 12:03 PM
and you can't take pictures in devonian gardens either.

Xaroxantu Zero
05-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Uh, yes you can. The last time I went there, which was only a couple weeks ago, there were a ton of people carrying cameras around taking pictures with their family and stuff. I even walked past a security guard with my camera and tripod fully visible but he didn't even give me a second glance.

89coupe
05-08-2006, 12:19 PM
I think that security guy was full of himself.

Read this.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2005-12-29-camera-laws_x.htm

TurboMedic
05-08-2006, 12:23 PM
I think the only time that you need permission from people that will be in the shot is when you are going to publish the photos. Personal use photos aren't a big deal....

Xaroxantu Zero
05-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
I think that security guy was full of himself.

Read this.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2005-12-29-camera-laws_x.htm

Are you sure this applies to Canada though?

3G
05-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by turboMiata

i got a a couple hours of video there but that was back in like 95

rayquan
05-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Well, I might need to clarify the time that I took photo yesterday; it was about 5 minutes after 5. Most of the stores were closed at that time, only one or two were still in the process of closing. My wife was still in one of them. I don't know if that will make a difference and the reason that I got from the security guy was about private property (not for private property after hour). When I took pictures of the fashion show last Thursday during lunch hour, I recalled that there were few security guys around, but I wasn't stopped by them.

JAYMEZ
05-08-2006, 01:10 PM
You cant take pictures in any malls , its to protect the people who work there (people getting stalked).. They are very harsh about it in Chinook.

kenny
05-08-2006, 06:15 PM
While you DO have a legal right to shoot inside a mall, security can ask for you to leave the building. If you don't comply, you will be trespassing.

Perhaps the security guy thought you were a perv shooting pix of hotties in the mall :D

BerserkerCatSplat
05-08-2006, 09:53 PM

I think the only time you aren't allowed is if you're using for a subject-based photoshoot and haven't paid for it. I've been there twice taking pics of the foliage and never been bothered. I went today, in fact, and the security guy walked right by me and didn't even care that I was obviously taking photos.

asuth077
05-08-2006, 11:08 PM
I took the Journalism degree at Mt. Royal and we had to take a law course which deals with this type of stuff. Technically any private property can request that you stop taking photos.

However, they NEVER have the right to take your film, even if they are police, UNLESS the photos could be evidence of a crime.

Also on public property you do not need permission to take or publish photos of people it is just a courtesy.

turboMiata
05-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by asuth077
Also on public property you do not need permission to take or publish photos of people it is just a courtesy.

I'm sorry, but this is incorrect. There has been several landmark cases in Canada, one involving the Montreal Gazette, where people have taken photographers to court and won. Another famous one involved Gilbert Duclos.

This is why I don't like doing street photography anymore.

asuth077
05-09-2006, 09:34 AM

I'm sorry, but this is incorrect. There has been several landmark cases in Canada, one involving the Montreal Gazette, where people have taken photographers to court and won. Another famous one involved Gilbert Duclos.

This is why I don't like doing street photography anymore.

That is becuase of the law in Quebec. Their human rights gives every person the right to their own image so you can't take their photo without permission unless they are part of "hard news" or a celebrity.

Elsewhere in Canada as long as it's not commercial use, such as an advertisement, in public you can photograph who ever you wish.

SCHIDER23
05-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Well I got stopped in chinook for carrying my camera around my neck last year, the security guard said not to take pictures of anything inside chinook it was not allowed hehehehe:poosie:

asuth077
05-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Malls are private property so it is up to whoever operates them as to what their policy is.

turboMiata
05-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by asuth077

That is becuase of the law in Quebec. Their human rights gives every person the right to their own image so you can't take their photo without permission unless they are part of "hard news" or a celebrity.

Elsewhere in Canada as long as it's not commercial use, such as an advertisement, in public you can photograph who ever you wish.

You can photograph whomever you wish. It's the publishing of the photo that is restricted. If you post the picture up in an Internet forum, personal web site or whatever, it is considered published. You will need a model release.

AccentAE86
05-22-2006, 01:42 PM
I've done many professional photoshoots in malls around edmonton. Security will always stop you..... unless you have permission. You need to get into contact with the building operations department and tell them what you're doing and when. They'll send you some forms to fill out and you sign and fax back to them. They'll notify security that you'll be there and you have to check in as soon as you get there. Once that is done, you can take photos to your heart's content. They usually request that you don't take photos of the stores themselves.