PDA

View Full Version : Access Toyota

eb0i
05-08-2006, 11:13 AM
I've been looking for a new car recently and specifically a Toyota. I've been to a few dealerships and have just found the no haggling policy is bullshit and thought this article that I just read on Access Toyota was an interesting read.

http://www.cbc.ca/disclosure/archives/030211_notebook.html

I know it is old but still interesting.

A790
05-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Trying to get rid of the free market in free market economy.

lol

Xtrema
05-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Dealers have be creative in getting around this Access pricing.

Anywhere from offering Blue Book price on trade in (instead of Black Book) to free/major discount on dealer install accessories.

End of day, people are still buying Toyotas.

C4S
05-08-2006, 11:42 AM
:dunno: :dunno:

Toyota makes good cars ..but they are not cheap cars anymore ....

If every other car offers discount, why the big profit Toyota doesn't?

I talked the the sale manager from Toyota .. he just said the access pricing are just B.S he will sign any deal with discount ....:dunno:

However, depends on model .. said 2007 Camry and FJ are new model, and good value too, for a $35K car, only ~$3,000 make up .. which is fair profit for a high demanding car anyway. ;)

Aleks
05-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by C4S
:dunno: :dunno:

Toyota makes good cars ..but they are not cheap cars anymore ....

If every other car offers discount, why the big profit Toyota doesn't?

I talked the the sale manager from Toyota .. he just said the access pricing are just B.S he will sign any deal with discount ....:dunno:

However, depends on model .. said 2007 Camry and FJ are new model, and good value too, for a $35K car, only ~$3,000 make up .. which is fair profit for a high demanding car anyway. ;)

I disagree. I think a profit of 1000 is more than fair especially when you see that they pad the sale with all sorts of fees and what not. However if people are paying it then there isn't much any of us can do about it.

brandon
05-08-2006, 11:57 AM
When you go into a dealership what warrants one to ask for a discount? is there anything wrong with the car? if not then wtf lol. Why give you $1000 off when the next guy will come in pay full MSRP.

kaput
05-08-2006, 12:10 PM

Aleks
05-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by brandon
When you go into a dealership what warrants one to ask for a discount? is there anything wrong with the car? if not then wtf lol. Why give you $1000 off when the next guy will come in pay full MSRP.

Because even IF the next guy is paying full MSRP they still stand to make 2 sales not just one. If you're a dealer wouldn't you rather make 1 sale at 3000 profit and 1 sale at 1000 profit then only 1 sale at 3000 profit?
Now this doesn't work on limited production cars or high demand models too well. If they are allocated 1 car per month they won't budge on the price...and they don't have to since they know that one guy that will pay full msrp will come in and buy it.

carson blocks
05-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
I disagree. I think a profit of 1000 is more than fair especially when you see that they pad the sale with all sorts of fees and what not.

I don't think $1000 is more than fair. Maybe for some guy selling a car out of his back yard. The salesman will make $250-$1000 of that depending on the car, and then the dealership has to pay for the building and upkeep, all the utilities, +-100 employees, the advertising that brought you in, and everything else that goes along with running a business of that size.

And as for the fees, those don't just directly go into the dealers pocket.. they have to pay to have them shipped, PDI'ed, cleaned, etc.. It's not like the cars just magically show up for free ready to be sold to you by a volunteer salesman and the dealer is just pocketing your money.

Think about everything that's involved before you make a snap judgement that a dealer can live comfortably off $1000/car.

And for the record, yes I work at a dealership, but not in sales, management, or any position that makes me a dime more if you decide to spring for the floormats.. Just salary for me.

Xtrema
05-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Because even IF the next guy is paying full MSRP they still stand to make 2 sales not just one. If you're a dealer wouldn't you rather make 1 sale at 3000 profit and 1 sale at 1000 profit then only 1 sale at 3000 profit?
Now this doesn't work on limited production cars or high demand models too well. If they are allocated 1 car per month they won't budge on the price...and they don't have to since they know that one guy that will pay full msrp will come in and buy it.

I would rather make as many sales @ $3000 until I start accumulate stock. If I only make $1000 of you, you ain't getting your car til people are done paying $2000,$1500,$1300 etc etc.

rc2002
05-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Access Toyota is a total load of crap. I will never buy a Toyota. They're way overpriced for what you're getting.

SilverBoost
05-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks

I don't think $1000 is more than fair. Maybe for some guy selling a car out of his back yard. The salesman will make $250-$1000 of that depending on the car, and then the dealership has to pay for the building and upkeep, all the utilities, +-100 employees, the advertising that brought you in, and everything else that goes along with running a business of that size.

And as for the fees, those don't just directly go into the dealers pocket.. they have to pay to have them shipped, PDI'ed, cleaned, etc.. It's not like the cars just magically show up for free ready to be sold to you by a volunteer salesman and the dealer is just pocketing your money.

Think about everything that's involved before you make a snap judgement that a dealer can live comfortably off $1000/car.

And for the record, yes I work at a dealership, but not in sales, management, or any position that makes me a dime more if you decide to spring for the floormats.. Just salary for me.

Ever hear of returning to have the car serviced? The could lose money on a sale and still have that vehicle be profitable for them down the road.

Aleks
05-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks

So far Acura and Subaru have offered to sell me their cars at 1000 over DEALER cost. So I guess they are losing money every day. I would love to know what dealer you work for? I do know and have known lots of people who worked closely with salesmen and am fully aware on how much they make and what is acceptable profit. Most will gladly take 1000 unless like I said they have a hot model going. It's just that most of society can't be bothered to do their research and find out how much costs are and such. To most people 500-1500 is not a big deal when you spread it over 5 years I suppose.

Originally posted by Xtrema

I would rather make as many sales @ $3000 until I start accumulate stock. If I only make $1000 of you, you ain't getting your car til people are done paying $2000,$1500,$1300 etc etc.

That's where the supply/demand come into play. It's all relative right.

max_boost
05-08-2006, 03:50 PM
^^^
What car are you waiting for? Or you just can't decide?

Anyway, we get the shaft here. In the U.S, you can get discounts for almost any car. Must be volume of sales. Guys are getting thousands off high end cars and it's not uncommon to pay list price for vehicles.

Aleks
05-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Have a deposit on the Si but have no idea yet when they will have one for me. Might end up with a 06 WRX if the wait is too long.