PDA

View Full Version : Filter sizes

streetarab
05-08-2006, 02:22 PM
so yea, im still a noob at this stuff

i found a converter that will convert my camera to accept a 50mm thread, i just want to use some filters to get some different style pics but dont know if 50mm thread is the way to go. i wanna do this on the cheap so i want something that offers a large array of (cheap) filters and lenses. so is there a better thread size or does it matter or just tell me whats up...

streetarab
05-08-2006, 09:03 PM
so title changes and yet no responses :dunno:

MudCrawler
05-08-2006, 09:06 PM
well its almost been a whole afternoon...hmmm.... Might have to start using CAPS Lock soon.

:rolleyes: :burnout:

BerserkerCatSplat
05-08-2006, 09:51 PM
What camera is it? If it's digital, the only filters that you should really need/want are polarizing and Neutral Density filters. All other filters can be applied in Photoshop in seconds, saving you the time and expense of lugging around filters.

streetarab
05-09-2006, 02:21 PM
so are there cheap easily findable polarizing and neutral density filters in 50mm thread?

3g4me
05-09-2006, 04:08 PM
UV filter as well, as all those filters above. Check your local camera store they will have lots of filters with different thred sizes and functions.:thumbsup:

Ferio_vti
05-09-2006, 11:16 PM
eBay baby. If you can find a seller with various filters buy more to save on shipping. Getting a circ. polarizer on eBay alone it worth the savings.

From the sounds of it, I'm assuming you are putting filters on a point and shoot, and not an SLR. If you can use 50mm, then go with it. The bigger the filter size, the more expensive they get

D'z Nutz
05-09-2006, 11:24 PM
50mm is a really unusual size, so you may have trouble finding filters. My suggestion would be to get a step up ring so that you can use a filter size that's more easily accessible, like 52mm. At 52mm, you'll have no problem finding any sort of filters and they'll still be cheap.

But again, like I said, 50mm isn't a very common thread size, so even finding a 50-52mm step up ring might be tough. See if a 49-52mm step up ring will work. It might be loose, but still workable...