PDA

View Full Version : legal amount of tint???

vtec4life
05-08-2006, 10:11 PM
so im planning on getting my windows tinted on a 98 civic coupe and i was wondering if there is any amount of tint that is aloud on the driver door and passenger door windows?? if so what is the % that is aloud.
thanks alot

wildrice
05-08-2006, 10:13 PM
IIRC you are only allowed the stock tint.

redevil
05-08-2006, 10:14 PM
none

GoChris
05-08-2006, 10:43 PM
no tint

95EagleAWD
05-08-2006, 11:41 PM
^^

No tint on side windows in Alberta.

M_K_3
05-08-2006, 11:44 PM
none!!!!

Xtrema
05-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Tint on windshiled, drive and passenger windows are illegal at any level.

But I've seen a lot of people do it. I have 35% myself since it's not as noticable. But if you are stopped for any reason and the cop is being an ass, he'll give you a ticket and make you take it off.

It's your risk to take.

rony_espana
05-09-2006, 09:17 AM
I have always tinted all the back windows the darkest (I think its 5%) and the front the lightest tint (?50%) and I have never been pulled over.

I do have some friends that had a bit more tint and they have gotten tickets.

Reminds me of Mexico, where they're even allowed to tint the front windshield :rofl:

dub_686
05-09-2006, 09:27 AM
go get a doctors note, stating u have sensitive eyes to sunlight, and while driving the sun really bothers you. then tint your windows, and carry that doctors note in a glove box, just incase u get pulled over. :thumbsup: (i dont know if it will work, but its an idea)

yellowsnow
05-09-2006, 09:30 AM
I have 35% tint on my driver/passenger windows and never had a problem. just make sure you roll your windows down if you get pulled over. unless the cop is a total prick (which is very likely i guess), he won't care as long as you roll your windows down. It's more of a safety thing for the cops, so they can see you when they pull you over to make sure you're not grabbing a gun or something.

but ya it's not legal. so you are taking a risk if you decide to have it

Lo)2enz0
05-09-2006, 09:53 AM
my car came from bc and it has tint on the side windows and the cops have never made it a problem with me, but it is stock tint. Just don't ever do it and have them pitch black.

Mitsu3000gt
05-09-2006, 11:03 AM
My friend is a police officer, this is what he told me: As of now there are no tinting laws (obviously you can't tint your windsheild though). He drives a car with almost limo tint on every window except the windsheild.

The tint shop told me you won't get pulled over for it in the city but the RCMP will pull you over for it.

Mark

Xtrema
05-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Alberta Traffic Safety Act

http://www.canlii.org/ab/laws/regu/2002r.304/20030225/whole.html

Division 5
Miscellaneous

View not to be obstructed
80 A person shall not drive a vehicle on a highway if

(a) the view through the windshield or windows of the vehicle is so
obscured by mud, frost, steam or any other thing so as to make the driving
of the vehicle hazardous or dangerous, or

(b) an ornament, device or thing is placed in or on the vehicle so
that it may obstruct that person's view.

awd
05-09-2006, 12:58 PM
None.

I just had my drivers/passenger windows tinted with 35% (rear 3 are 20%) and I was pulled over within 24 hours.

Don't waste your money and give the pigs an excuse to pull you over.

JAYMEZ
05-09-2006, 01:01 PM
Ive always had very dark tinted front windows , no problems.

:closed: :repost:

nismodrifter
05-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Tinted Windows

Window glazing

69(1) A person shall not install, replace or cover the window glazing in a windshield or in a left or right side window of a motor vehicle that is beside or forward of the driver with a transparent, translucent or opaque material.

(2) A person shall not install, replace or cover the rear window glazing in a motor vehicle with a transparent, translucent or opaque material unless the motor vehicle has outside rear view mirrors on both the left and right that comply with section 72(2).

(7) A person may apply stickers to the window of a motor vehicle only if they do not limit the driver’s field of vision or otherwise impair the safe operation of the motor vehicle.

There is a BIG sticky on the very top of this forum for a reason.