PDA

View Full Version : Broken foot?

A790
05-09-2006, 12:39 PM
So saturday I went to the hospital and got x-rays, and there was no breaks or anything. But, he said that I'm on my way to getting a "stress fracture" or something and to stay the hell off of it.

The thing is that my foot hurts like a siv whenever I put any amount of pressure on it. It's all on the top of my foot too.

I don't know what the deal with it is, but I'm supposed to be going to another doctor for a "second opinion" or something. I need to be able to walk (for work and other obvious reasons) and this has me off work. It bites balls.

Any ideas?

kaput
05-09-2006, 12:54 PM

A790
05-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Don't walk on it! From the sounds of things, my uneducated opinion is that it hasn't broken completely but every time you put any weight on it it cracks a bit more until it finally will completely fracture. If the doctor says stay the hell off of it and it hurts like hell when you disobey that then why do you think anyone on here will tell you any different (and know what we're talking about)?

I know there's a doctor on these forums. Heh, I kinda want him to chime in. LOL

It's just that I never did anything overtly strenuous to my foot to cause it to fracture, so I'm confused as to why it's doing this.

Pee_Sack
05-09-2006, 01:23 PM
do you drink a lot of pop or anything a long those lines?

The same thing happened to me to the point where I couldn't walk for days. It went on for a couple years and the doctors kept telling me there is nothing wrong, as I had to be pushed out of his office on a wheel chair.

At this time I was drinking LOTS of pop, somewhere in the area of 6-8 liters per day, mostly pepsi and root beer (I worked at A&W). During an 8 hour shift I would drink 4 or 5 of the really big 1 liter cups of pop. Then I would go home and drink half a case of pepsi. It was starting to get really bad and I was always feeling like shit, so I stopped drinking pop so much, maybe 1 liter a week now..if that, mostly it's water.

It turns out that after I stopped drinking so much pop the pain in my feet went away. It has been 1.5 years since and my feet rarely hurt anymore.

Ben
05-09-2006, 01:30 PM
I broke my foot the end of March. (Nothing glamorous, cat made an illegal left hand turn without signalling as I came down the stairs w/ a load of laundry, instead of stepping on the cat I tripped forward another step, fell backwards, and compressed my foot between my ass and the stair as I fell.)

I had it Xrayed and it showed a POSSIBLE fracture on the 3rd metatarcel. but it was inconclusive. It was confirmed later on tho, and the massive bleeding/swelling/pain was supportive also. It hurt like nobodies business, I'm talking serious pain, worse than being shot (dont ask). I had blood everywhere inder the skin, concentrated at the base of all my toes, the arch underneith the foot, and on the outside side between the pinky toe and heal. It was swollen so much that I couldn't fit my foot into some skate shoes with the laces out and are 2 sizes too big.

It's now FINALLY starting to feel a bit better, every day I'm in pain but I manage it. The car show this weekend owned me, from all the crouching and junk. Just grin and bear it.

It's very important to keep your weight off it. Keep it elevated, and iced. It's not always something that a cast would help. Mine was in such a spot that a cast would have done nothing, so I just hobbled everywhere and tried to keep it as un-used as possible.

Sometimes you can break a bone in your foot in wierd ways, other times it takes massive trauma.

You could have a decent sprain, which can often hurt almost as much as a break, but again, it depends on pain tollerance. Most people say that when you BREAK the bone, you cannot walk on it, it's just too intense, but thats who's opinion? I could walk, albeit in a lot of pain, and slowly, but I could walk, and other times you could just have a sprain, but need crutches it's so bad.

bspot
05-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Ah the broken foot club. I broke mine playing ball hockey. My friends though I was just a big pussy so they wouldn't even drive me home and I had to drive back with a broken clutch foot. Hurt really really bad to put any weight at all on it the next day.

8 weeks in an air cast and I was good as gold! ... good luck.

Ben
05-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Ah the broken foot club. I broke mine playing ball hockey. My friends though I was just a big pussy so they wouldn't even drive me home and I had to drive back with a broken clutch foot. Hurt really really bad to put any weight at all on it the next day.

8 weeks in an air cast and I was good as gold! ... good luck.

AIR CASTS ARE GOLD!!!

EVeryone should own one, you can get an attatchment that cycles icewater through, those things are the bomb.

Great for sore joints or full on breaks.

djayz
05-09-2006, 01:51 PM
the pop thing might be correct
your bones may be getting weak from lack of calcium and since the feet are used the most they get more wear and tear

try drinking more milk it definately helps
and if your heavy on the pop or coffee cut down a little but definately keep off the foot at all costs

it may hurt now but itll hurt a hell lot worse if you keep walking on it

Gravy_83
05-09-2006, 02:57 PM
don't fuck with it I walked on a severly broken ankle for 12 hours without realizing it was broken...i thought it was sprained and I went to work anyways. well anyways it was broken and now I have arthritis pretty bad in my ankle and im only 23. So yeah anyways I would tell you to not walk on it if you can avoid it since having pains in your foot for the rest of your life could very well happen if your not carefull...listen to common sense and listen to doctors and I'm sure everything will fix itself

xrayvsn
05-09-2006, 04:18 PM
I can't write too much now since I am at my Royal College Fellowhip Exam (well, not at this exact moment, but you get the idea).

Bottom line: Keep off the foot. Stress fractures happen from repeated minor trauma to the bone (for example, soldiers can get fractures of their metatarsal bones of the foot from long marches). You do not need to have a history of acute big injury type of trauma, just a lot of little injuries in the same spot. Lots of tiny microfractures form, and if you keep going, they join together to give you one big fracture.

I don't know if you are a runner or something, but stop doing what makes your foot hurt.

A790
05-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Yea, went to the doctors again today and now they're talking about foot arch or something. ARGH

I don't drink a lot of pop (if any), I don't smoke, I don't drink a lot. I get enough calcium (I eat lots of cheese/protein shake).

GRR I don't get it.

xrayvsn
05-10-2006, 06:09 PM
plantar fascitis?

A790
05-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
plantar fascitis?

I don't know what that is.

Hakkola
05-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Pee_Sack

At this time I was drinking LOTS of pop, somewhere in the area of 6-8 liters per day,

That's disgusting, but at least now I know why your name is Pee Sack.

guessboi
05-10-2006, 08:46 PM
sprained my ankle severely when I landed on someone's foot last month.
didn't see the doctor for a week after the accident. boy am I dumb. hahaha. I heard my ankle popped and it is my worst ankle sprain of all time!!!
my ankle was swallow like crazy, blood was inside my foot and toes as well. doctor told me is a high level 2 ankle sprain, and that level 3 I will need surgery.
so now after a month. I can walk and play bball "ok", no more blood inside, but at the same time my ankle is swallow if I sit for too long and that's why I put a support around still. Doctor told me it will take 6 months to completely heal. :nut:

so I leanrned my lessons, put ankle supports around your ankles whenever you play bball.

what sux the most is when you need to press in the clutch when you left ankle is in pain. :cry: