PDA

View Full Version : Slotted and drilled vs regular disc brakes?

topmade
05-09-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm in need of new rotors and want to know if slotted and drilled discs are that much better than regular discs. I have a 94 civic and it's my weekend delivery car and I do go through pads pretty good as I'm pretty hard on the brakes trying to make my $4.00 deliveries haha.

Please no stupid comments on how I drive, I just would like some feedback with anyone who's done the conversion and is it really a big difference?

Chao

rc2002
05-09-2006, 01:06 PM
You'll get a big difference in performance from rotors, even bigger difference from pads.

Keep in mind that the slotted discs will wear out your brake pads more quickly than regular discs.

A790
05-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Cross Drilled/Slotted rotors are more for performance oriented driving. The wear on the pad probably won't be much different as the slots/drills are there to dissipate heat and reduce brake fade.

Though I could be wrong on that, I think you're probably fine to just have a set of disc brakes.

GTS Jeff
05-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Here's a GTS Jeff (tm) breakdown for you:

-cross drilled - minimal performance gains depending on who you talk to. They look pimp. Risk of cracking with heavy track use.

-slotted - proven performance gains. Increases pad wear. Looks pimp.

-blanks - quality and performance can vary. If you get nice Brembo blanks or genuine OEM blanks, you are gauranteed good metallurgy and a good internal vane design so the rotor is well ventilated. Jobber blanks usually aren't as good, but hey, they're cheap so you can afford to replace them at every pad change.

Basically, I'd recommend anything but cross drilled.

djayz
05-09-2006, 01:47 PM
whats about cross driller and slotted?