PDA

View Full Version : Interview Question

maximus
05-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Just wondering how you guys would answer the question of "how do you motivate people". The position is a managerial position and it's pretty much certain that they will ask that. I don't really know what I'll say yet.

Ben
05-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Quick ramble, anything along these lines is an option, picking bits and peices of it. There are lots of different things you can say, this is only a small amount. Whatever is true with you:

"In the workplace I portray a positive and encouraging attitude, rewarding achievements and supporting improvements. People are motivated when they are encouraged and rewarded, more so than being punished and threatened. With my open door policy members of our team can approach me at any time, and not feel apprehensive about performing a task that they are unsure of. Again, when people understand that I am there to support them they will feel satisfaction in their role within our organization. A happy employee is a productive employee."

lint
05-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Best bet is to talk about a situation where you did motivate someone, and what you did to achieve the results. Backing up your statements with examples is much more effective than just rattling off a grocery list.

Thaco
05-09-2006, 04:39 PM
give em a swift kick in the ass :thumbsup:

boopydogg
05-09-2006, 07:20 PM
a big whip :whipped:

w3apon
05-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by maximus
"how do you motivate people"

Tell them "Work or get fired."

w3apon
05-09-2006, 07:50 PM
or something along the lines of Ben's suggestion...

jcrules99
05-09-2006, 07:52 PM
^ haha yeah, i likes bens suggestion

Traffic_Cop
05-10-2006, 08:02 AM
If you are a true motivator, this shouldn't be a problem for you. However if you say things like, "I instill confidence and create a positive work place", and other buzz phrases such as "lead by example", you should be fine. If you are going for a sales manager position, generally some kind of reward system or bonus works well.

Having a team / group work toward a common & specific goal, by a certain date or time works wonders as well

Good luck!!