PDA

View Full Version : tormenting between 2003 350z vs. 1991-1992 nsx

ncy_00
05-09-2006, 07:59 PM
i need your input especially from those who have driven, bought or have had experience with these two cars. i'm torn between getting a 350z or a 91-92 nsx. both have their pros and cons. higher mileage vehicles generally need more maintenance, but its a honda. let me know what you all think..

A790
05-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Two VERY different cars.

350z is a bit more practical, but the NSX gets you laid. You decide.

ncy_00
05-09-2006, 08:11 PM
i heard both get you laid... thats why i cant decide..hahaha

LudeRoca
05-09-2006, 08:11 PM
im sure you wouldnt have any problems gettin laid drivin a 350 either.

C4S
05-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Would you like to get a car with some warranty?

My heart will say NSX for sure ..

However, it is still a 15 yr old car .. and we know how expensive on the NSX's service Bill.

Good thing for NSX is, it probaby won't depreciate much, even we can now get a JDM from Japan .. but they are not a lots cheaper, and NSX buyers are willing to pay more for a nicer unit.

Say on a 350Z, you will expect less on servicing cost, and probaby $3-4K each yr depreciate in the next few years.. and 1K for service ...

On NSX .. it probaby 1-2K depreciate each year ... but say 3-4K for service and repair.

NSX is a very reliable car, however, if you need a fender, headlight etc ..they are expensive, since not many of them around.

:)

ncy_00
05-09-2006, 08:25 PM
hey cs4, thats exactly what i'm afraid of. maintenance. and i dont think i'll have 2-4k dollars for that every couple of years. you know how it is, mortgage and all the other real life stuff..

M_K_3
05-09-2006, 08:30 PM
nsx.... there isnt as much as there is 350s.... if i was u id hit the NSX

Z_Fan
05-09-2006, 08:49 PM
My vote is 350z.

No comparison IMO. Technology in the 350z vastly superior to the NSX. If you really want an NSX, save your money and buy the next generation when it comes out. Because that car will be a real supercar.

IMO, a 1991 NSX is simply an old car. It _was_ special 15 years ago. Now, it's just old...if it is an extremely low KM (like under 20K) and in absolute mint and original condition, that'd change my opinion.

Nissanaddict
05-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Yeah. The 350z is the much more practical choice. It will still get you laid this is true. The NSXs are nice, but the only people it would be more practical over a 350z, are complete Honda fanboys (no offense, just that a 15 year old rare car is always less practical than a semi-common brand new car, that's all) Drive both basically. If the NSX makes you feel a LOT warmer and fuzzier than the 350z, then take it. I honestly don't think the NSX could be that much better than the 350z (but I haven't driven very many nice/expensive cars in my life) Make your pick, but practicality points to Nissan here.

4doorj
05-09-2006, 09:30 PM
such a hard choice!
350z is new, but u are starting to see them everywhere now
nsx is 15 years old but really rare

but both are sweet!

either choice is a good choice:thumbsup:

RC-Cola
05-09-2006, 10:10 PM
You can always do the old "which one will fit my golf clubs" test. Depending on whether this is your only car or if you have a backup would also help decide. I would hate to drive the NSX in the winter.

clem24
05-09-2006, 10:19 PM
My opinion is that the NSX is still a sexy car, and I still see more Z's than NSX'es. But, like Mal points out, this is an OLD CAR. As with any old car, maintenance becomes an issue. Lucky for you, NSX'es are pretty much completely aluminum, so rust is not an issue.

However, remember that the NSX has lots of gadgets. Stuff like power windows, heated seats, mirrors, wiring, ANYTHING electronic can break. On my 15 year old car (not NSX - I wish), wiring is starting to rust (design fault), so I had to go into the door, rip out the old wires, and solder new ones in place. Believe me, it's HARD WORK trying to wires out of the grommets. That's the kind of stuff you'll be dealing with. Sometimes you'll get lucky, and get nothing. Other times, it'll be a nightmare and your car will FOREVER be a WORK IN PROGRESS.

Secondly, you'll have mechanics to worry about: worn seals, worn tranny, everything. EVEN if it's a Honda.

My suggestion is, if you know how to fix your own car, then yeah, NSX for me hands down. Fixing your own car is very satisfying. Otherwise, if you need to bring it to the shop cause you don't know how to change the oil, then the Z.

ncy_00
05-09-2006, 10:21 PM
thanks guys this is all very helpful

rony_espana
05-09-2006, 10:22 PM
I would go for a 350Z personally, just because the other will be around 15 years old. I see your willing to get a used car, why don't you just go for a used G35? You get 2 extra seats in the back and it won't depreciate as much since it an infinity? Just a suggestion...

jdmakkord
05-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by rony_espana
I would go for a 350Z personally, just because the other will be around 15 years old. I see your willing to get a used car, why don't you just go for a used G35? You get 2 extra seats in the back and it won't depreciate as much since it an infinity? Just a suggestion...

Have you ever seen how much infiniti's drop in price after the first year? Of all imports, I swear they hold their value about as good as a hyundai.

arian_ma
05-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

Have you ever seen how much infiniti's drop in price after the first year? Of all imports, I swear they hold their value about as good as a hyundai.

:rofl: Here's the beauty though; Hyundai's don't depreciate! When you start at worthless you can't really fall any lower ;)

Hahaha just playing guys.

Lexxan
05-10-2006, 12:24 AM
lol do you guys really get laid because of your cars? Find some real women.

pdm111
05-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma

:rofl: Here's the beauty though; Hyundai's don't depreciate! When you start at worthless you can't really fall any lower ;)

Hahaha just playing guys.

ouch, it's funny cuz it's true. i hope no one here has a hyundai.

my vote's for the z. newer, less owners maybe, still a nice car. do you know what trim level it is? i'd consider the nsx if it has a very complete maintenance history. either way, you better have a winter car :thumbsup:

theken
05-10-2006, 12:41 AM
the z is a sexy car, nsx's i have seen look good, but they are nothing special, form over function with them, they arent really fast, and 40 ish grand for a honda makes my head spin

blue Zed
05-10-2006, 03:40 AM
As an owner of a 03 model i think it's a great car there is alot of potential here,check this web sitehttp://www.violentracing.com

blue Zed
05-10-2006, 03:47 AM
if your charming enough you can certainly can get laid. the 350z can start the ball rolling for you .

A790
05-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Man, I'd get the 350Z. The NSX is an amazing car, but it's also a an amazingly expensive car.

SilverBoost
05-10-2006, 08:53 AM
350Z, hands down. NSX is old technology, I don't care how low it is to the ground. Save yourself the headache and get something newer.

ncy_00
05-10-2006, 11:45 AM
thanks guys this is awesome, it's really helping with the decision so far.

RedBull
05-10-2006, 12:03 PM
350z for sure, but I'm biased of course! If you plan on tracking it though you will NEED bigger brakes as she's a bit a of fat chick and need extra help slowing down at track speeds. I've winter driven with salt bags in the back and winter tires with no problem.

-RedBull

kevie88
05-10-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm all about the NSX. I've loved them since new and it really could be a dream come true in the very near future.

Mind you I can work on/fix anything so repair costs and maintenance is a non-issue for me.

eur0
05-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
I'm all about the NSX. I've loved them since new and it really could be a dream come true in the very near future.

Mind you I can work on/fix anything so repair costs and maintenance is a non-issue for me.

I thought you were looking for something more economical haha

ncy_00
05-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by RedBull
350z for sure, but I'm biased of course! If you plan on tracking it though you will NEED bigger brakes as she's a bit a of fat chick and need extra help slowing down at track speeds. I've winter driven with salt bags in the back and winter tires with no problem.

-RedBull

hey i was just wondering can you tell me what other upgrades you've done to your 350? maybe that can sway my decision..haha dammit i shouldn't even think abou that yet. but whatever

kevie88
05-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by eur0

I thought you were looking for something more economical haha

haha! I left my driving job, my last day is Friday. Wasn't really for me. I'm coming back to Calgary in a week or so! :D

TurboTEGRA
05-10-2006, 04:06 PM
NSX ALL THE WAY. Im buying one next summer

RedBull
05-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by ncy_00

hey i was just wondering can you tell me what other upgrades you've done to your 350? maybe that can sway my decision..haha dammit i shouldn't even think abou that yet. but whatever

Lets just say I've dumped alot of money into the Z and it's no where near stock anymore. There's alot of aftermarket support and modifications available for the car, albeit they are often quite expensive so keep that in mind.

-RedBull

SilverBoost
05-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Just so you know there's lot's of potential, ;)

This was taken at the last Nissan Meet last summer in Red Deer. The local Dealership up there aparantly did all the work, according to the owner at least. GReddy also makes a twin turbo kit for the Z. If you want power you have lots of options. As was said though a brake upgrade wouldn't hurt esp. if you start getting crazy with the HP. :)

http://www.importeast.ca/specv/necc/necc20.jpg

http://www.importeast.ca/specv/necc/necc21.jpg

http://www.importeast.ca/specv/necc/necc22.jpg

snowcatxx87
05-10-2006, 06:41 PM
:drool:

350 for sure, damn.

SidewaysSkyline
05-11-2006, 12:30 AM
My dad has a 2003 Track Pack 350Z for sale (black on black). Its mint and i think he's asking about 33, 000 for it. PM me if your interested.

Akagi
05-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Okay Ohnestly go with * WHAT YOU LOVE *
Are you getting this car for yourself??? or to impress others, If not to impress others why are you asking so many others what * they would get *
go with the flow man.

anyways I'll help you out if you have the money arn't TO concerned about getting a new vehicle.

Get the nsx!! I mean if you have the chance in life to say you've done so do it up.

If you want performance the NSX is * LIGHT * !!!! and quick for the power to weight ratio
Even if you mod the 350Z... it still weighs over 3000 lb's with a driver, almost 3500 I believe?? not sure I havnt studied to much on that particular vehicle

But weight is weight... I use to think fairladies, g35's were dope etc when I was younger, then I realized if you want performance go light.
There is NO BETTER modification out there then having a light vehicle!
handles better, quicker response, faster acceleration time.

Plus the nsx is a gorgeous vehicle.
Get the car, spend alittle on the engine and maintanence and then your laughing, it is a honda like you said and reliable to a point, its just the parts when you do need to get them will be abit pricey.

I would go for the lighter faster car myself.
its your choice though.

Take the information you've read on this thread, give it some credibility, then from there on do yourself the favor of disreguarding Everything yo'uve heard and Do what you wanto do man.

If you love the Z just go for it, bran new car, warenty, long life etc

if you love the nsx then why get the Z when really everytime you see an nsx drive down the road you'll salvate over it.

Also, you could even do this scenario
Buy an NSX!! Drive it for a year, then if you decide you have a further pull to 350Z sell the nsx and then buy a 350.

I guarentee the value wont diminish a great amount for only driving it one year.
Aspecially if you tweek it up and make it reliable you can sell it for high profit.

sl888
05-12-2006, 02:59 AM
If you can find an NSX that is in mint condition with low mileage then you shouldn't have to worry much about maintenance cause it should be almost like a new car. I don't think I could ever drive the NSX in the winter cause I would baby that car so that goes to the 350Z if it was to be an all season car. But if you do have a winter ride then NSX for sure. The NSX has a lot more of a "wow" factor than the 350Z. Although I'm a person who do like new technology and features I think I would go for the NSX. I don't think you will regret getting an NSX over the Z as much as you would regret getting the Z instead of the NSX. :thumbsup:

Hakkola
05-12-2006, 02:24 PM
NSX is a head turner, 350z is not, picking a Z over an NSX is like picking a Maxima over a Bentley.

Maybe not quite so drastic but you get the picture.

dave101
05-12-2006, 02:31 PM
350z:thumbsup:

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
If you really want an NSX, save your money and buy the next generation when it comes out. Because that car will be a real supercar.

I tend to agree... Wait for a new one... I'm a Honda fanboy, and I would LOVE to own an NSX... but practicality has to eventually rear it's ugly head... +1 for the 350z... Unless you have a backup car, and this new one is just for fun... then go NSX...

ncy_00
05-12-2006, 09:51 PM
well i've decided..............................350z. practicality wise in terms of maintenance and all things related to it, i've decided the 350z. i dont need people to look at me, well it would be fun. But i'd rather be able to buy clothes and maybe eat out once in a while, and not worry about what the next maintence/service will have in store. thanks all of you for your input. cheers.

Akagi
05-12-2006, 11:33 PM
NSX is more reliable then 350 Z.
Honda over nisan ANY DAY

C4S
05-12-2006, 11:40 PM
How about this one ..

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=130387

:rofl: :D

95EagleAWD
05-13-2006, 05:53 AM
Shop for an NSX in that States if you really want one.

I don't know where all the "old technology" and "they're slow" stuff is coming from, because we just ran 13.7s last night at 2200 feet in two stock NSXs. Not super-mega fast like some stuff, but it's not slow. People that have never driven them look at stats and say, bah, 290 hp, can't be fast.

Go drive an NSX. Seriously. Or go for a ride in one. Come to Banff today, I'll give you a spin in mine. After that, you'll never even look at a 350Z.

It's a much better platform than the 350Z. Mid-engine, alumnium, RWD, low, wide and looks much much nicer. Plus, there aren't that many around.

And I got mine in the States for under 30K....

Test one before you decide. Like I said, you'll never go back.

BoS_DC2
05-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
Shop for an NSX in that States if you really want one.

I don't know where all the "old technology" and "they're slow" stuff is coming from, because we just ran 13.7s last night at 2200 feet in two stock NSXs. Not super-mega fast like some stuff, but it's not slow. People that have never driven them look at stats and say, bah, 290 hp, can't be fast.

Go drive an NSX. Seriously. Or go for a ride in one. Come to Banff today, I'll give you a spin in mine. After that, you'll never even look at a 350Z.

It's a much better platform than the 350Z. Mid-engine, alumnium, RWD, low, wide and looks much much nicer. Plus, there aren't that many around.

And I got mine in the States for under 30k....

Test one before you decide. Like I said, you'll never go back.

Get one in the states, after seeing his car, it's wayyyy better than getting a plain 350z, I mean the 350 is nice and I'd prefer it over a g35 anyday but still, nsx is on a different level and I wonder if the 350z can get 13.7 stock. *Under 30k*

C4S
05-13-2006, 10:29 AM
:D again .. if for me .. I will go for NSX too ( if only 350Z and NSX )

However, if getting an nice 15 yr old car .. I will still go for 964 .. some people like the NSX look .. but you can't go wrong with a 964 .. slightly quicker then NSX and 350Z .. not much .. and they are quite reliable too .. and they re going for mid $30K here ..and under $30K US too .. :D

HiSpec
05-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
My vote is 350z.

No comparison IMO. Technology in the 350z vastly superior to the NSX. If you really want an NSX, save your money and buy the next generation when it comes out. Because that car will be a real supercar.

IMO, a 1991 NSX is simply an old car. It _was_ special 15 years ago. Now, it's just old...if it is an extremely low KM (like under 20K) and in absolute mint and original condition, that'd change my opinion.

NSX... NSX is a driver's car

350Z is for show and ride

2002civic
05-13-2006, 02:48 PM
350z just for the newness

95EagleAWD
05-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec

NSX... NSX is a driver's car

350Z is for show and ride

I agree.

350Z also weighs around 3,360 lbs, the roadster is 3,600 lbs.

I got my NSX weighed in at 2980 lbs.

Hakkola
05-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by C4S
.. but you can't go wrong with a 964 .. slightly quicker then NSX and 350Z .. not much .. and they are quite reliable too .. and they re going for mid $30K here ..and under $30K US too .. :D

Only 964 I'd take over an NSX is the Turbo, or maybe, the RS America, but I doubt you can get a nice example in the 30's.

trikypenguin
05-14-2006, 02:18 PM
NSX ALL THE WAY.

Sonic_A4
05-14-2006, 02:27 PM
350z hands down , with a rotorex hks supercharger car make decent and good consistent power. ask Redbull on beyond he has a 350 thats nicely moded and he does regualar service so he should be able to give you the most accurate information

good luck with your decision :thumbsup:

95EagleAWD
05-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Sonic_A4
350z hands down , with a rotorex hks supercharger car make decent and good consistent power. ask Redbull on beyond he has a 350 thats nicely moded and he does regualar service so he should be able to give you the most accurate information

good luck with your decision :thumbsup:

And you throw a Comptech Supercharger on the NSX and all's fair again...

Hakkola
05-14-2006, 04:00 PM
:rofl: Exactly, because of the way the 2 cars are made there's no way a 350z will outperform an NSX when the same mods are done.

NSX is lighter, aerodynamic and more of a track built type of car than a 350z.

I like 350z's, but comparing the two is apples and oranges.

sl888
05-14-2006, 07:55 PM
or how about this?
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/5480/223hv.jpg
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/820/132xq.jpg

95EagleAWD
05-14-2006, 11:08 PM
^^

I don't thnk GruppeM makes a blower for the NSX anymore. They do make some killer titanium exhausts that you could sell your child for, though.

ncy_00
05-15-2006, 01:08 AM
well i've decided, to just go with the 350. i figured i'll just get a newer NSX in a couple of years knowing that the "snap ring" issues would have been cleared up with the newer versions. and i like the newer headlights better, not to say that the pop-ups arent cool, but just my preference. And you never know, if everything works out as planned maybe i'll even have whatever car takes its place in the Acura line-up. But for now, i'll take the 350, just something to screw around with. Thanks all of you guys for helping me make my decision. and 95EAGLEAWD, your car is damn sweet, nice purchase man.