PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Kumho Ecsta MX tires

B18C
05-09-2006, 08:23 PM
It's time for new summer tires. Has had experience with the Kumho Ecsta MX tires. They have them at tiretrends and seem like a pretty good deal at $477 including shipping and taxes.

JAYMEZ
05-09-2006, 10:11 PM
I had them on the FD , pretty damn good tires if you ask me!

GTS Jeff
05-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by B18C
It's time for new summer tires. Has had experience with the Kumho Ecsta MX tires. They have them at tiretrends and seem like a pretty good deal at $477 including shipping and taxes. They are cheap, but that's about it. Kumho MXs are old tires and they get owned by all the newer tires out there. Take a look at the Azenis RT615 and Hankook RS2, these are newer tires in the same category which perform better.

There's a good review of these tires in an old GRM. The Kumho was last and the Azenis ranked first.

EnRich
05-10-2006, 08:37 AM
I also found that they wear out after only a couple seasons... I only had em on for about 4 - 5 months at a time for 2 - 3 seasons...

A2VR6
05-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by EnRich
I also found that they wear out after only a couple seasons... I only had em on for about 4 - 5 months at a time for 2 - 3 seasons...

but isnt that the case with tires in this category?

tsi_neal
05-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
They are cheap, but that's about it. Kumho MXs are old tires and they get owned by all the newer tires out there. Take a look at the Azenis RT615 and Hankook RS2, these are newer tires in the same category which perform better.

There's a good review of these tires in an old GRM. The Kumho was last and the Azenis ranked first.

Honestly tho 95% of people that care that much on how a street tire performs are in the states and competing in ST classes at national level SCCA events... Anyone who tells me they get everything out of their tires on the street is either a liar or a total danger on the road. and that an azenis is .3 seconds faster in a solo2 means nothing to anyone on the street.

Bottom line is the MX is a wicked tire for the money paid. Does great in the dry and well in the wet, wears a bit quick for my tastes tho. But then again i have 3 sets of race tires for the track and i like to let my street tires last.

B18C
05-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal

Honestly tho 95% of people that care that much on how a street tire performs are in the states and competing in ST classes at national level SCCA events... Anyone who tells me they get everything out of their tires on the street is either a liar or a total danger on the road. and that an azenis is .3 seconds faster in a solo2 means nothing to anyone on the street.

Bottom line is the MX is a wicked tire for the money paid. Does great in the dry and well in the wet, wears a bit quick for my tastes tho. But then again i have 3 sets of race tires for the track and i like to let my street tires last.

That was kinda my thought. I'm just using them for normal day to day driving. Just something that is good in wet and dry and can perform for the few times I want to push the car a little. I figure for $99 a tire, I can't really go wrong.

GTS Jeff
05-11-2006, 04:27 AM
I mention Azenis because Speedtech is having a wonderful sale on them right now. If you PM one of those guys with a size, they'll respond with a lowwww price.