PDA

View Full Version : The Official Bubble Tea Thread

avow
05-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Well with bubble tea growing in popularity I thought I would make a thread about all the places I find bubble tea at :) . I will be adding to the list often and hopfully pictures soon too. Feel free to add your own places to the list too.

Name: Perfect Blend
Location: Shop #11, 3616 - 52 Ave. NW (Across the street from Sir. Winston High School.)
Minors allowed: Yes
Hours: Mon-Fri: 7:00 AM - 7:30 PM (9:30 - 4:30 Sat)
Review: Ok so the best part about this place is probably the staff. When I went in the lady explained to me the difference between their normal bubble tea and their smoothie bubble tea and how they use real fruit in the smoothie bla bla bla. Ok So I order the drink ($3.50 for normal bubble tea, $3.75 for smoothies) and sit down on the nice couch. The nie thing here is it is more of a starbucks type setting where you order your drink and wait for it rather then a restruant where you have to tip and all that. So the bubble tea finally comes out and it is sealed just like at Try Again :O. The bubble tea was really good too, however I found the pearals to be a little soft for my liking. Anyways I loved the place so much (btw the interior is almost as nice as aura lounge, with no smoking) that I had to go back an hour later. The Lchee Smoothie is to die for.

Name: Bubblemania
Minors allowed: No. (smoking environment)
Hours: Open til 2 am most days.
Review: Bubblemania was the first bubbletea place I went to and I must say if there is a place that will get you addicted to the stuff its going to be bubblemania. The selection is unbeleiveable (and the wings ae good too). The only problem you might have is that you could cut the smoke with a knife and thats only if you can find a place to sit.

Name: Aura Lounge
Location Centre Street and 16th Ave (Across the street from the old Brick building)
Minors Allowed No (Smoking and alcohol) but they dont seem to ever id people.
Hours: Open til 2 am most nights
Review: Formally Banana Jacks this place is all about style. In that sense it is the compleate opposite of bubblemania. The selection is small and very expensive (just under $7 a shot) but that said the bubble tea is amazing. Try the coconut if you are going there, it is really interesting.

More coming really soon of:

Try Again
Desert House
Bubblelicious
Peerless Pearl
Phat Cafe
Atomic

Vagabond142
05-11-2006, 06:11 PM
I like the bubbleteas that you can get from Campus Cove @ the U of C... then again, that was teh ONLY bubble tea I could get near to in the time I had between classes.... their mochablasts are good tho :thumbsup: prices range from $2.50-$5 and comes in two sizes, big or tiny :P

avow
05-11-2006, 06:23 PM
wow i never knew there was bubble tea on campus. i am going to have to check that out for sure, thanks for the heads up.

dj_rice
05-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Try Again and Desert House have my vote :thumbsup:

bball2
05-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Perfect Blend (across from SWC) isn't bad, their bubble teas are alright but the smoothies with pearls are better. They also have good chicken fingers, fries, onion rings, and cheesecakes :thumbsup:

avow
05-11-2006, 06:26 PM
dj_rice: where are those places at? i have heard of try again but nothing more.

dj_rice
05-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by avow
dj_rice: where are those places at? i have heard of try again but nothing more.

Try Again, is beside Harbour City I think the restaurant is called, its a lil shop downstairs, its in Chinatown, Centre Street and something lol.....

And Desert House is right on the end of Centre Street, near Sakana Grill

Both are located in Chinatown but Try Again doesnt have a place where you can sit and drink...you just buy your BBT and leave but they'res I find are the best, and Desert House everytime I've gone..is always packed, full of tweenies

natejj
05-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Name: Bubble...... I have no idea. Go check. haha
Location: Foodcourt in Westbrook Mall, the mall next to Ernest Manning. Its next to a burger joint in the foodcourt :P
Minors allowed: Yes, its in a mall
Hours: Whenever malls open, 9 am- 9 pm 7 days a week
Review: No idea, i dont drink the stuff, just figured i would let you guys kow this place exists, because its kinda hidden.

v2kai
05-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Name: Bubblelicious
Minors allowed: Yes
Hours: mmmm regular business hours?
Review: the nicest pearls i've had, i'm addicted to their honey dew milk tea.....i find some places the pearls can be too soggy or still be kinda hard in the center these guys have it down to a science and decent price too =D two thumbs up from me

EK 2.0
05-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Try Again

werrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdddd.....:drool:

Si_FlyGuy
05-11-2006, 07:04 PM
Try Again's the best. Dessert House would be good if they aren't so snotty and take so long to make a drink.

Boosted_TL
05-11-2006, 07:09 PM
I really like Peerless Pearl in China Town......Good shieeet

TurboMedic
05-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Try Again was good

phat cafe (17th ave/3st SW) was not too bad, more slushy/creamy style

thai tai, gross, great subs, bad tea...

jcrules99
05-11-2006, 08:40 PM
try again is the best!!!

Toma
05-11-2006, 09:08 PM
WTF is bubble tea??

crazydriver
05-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Bubble tea.....explained on wikipedia (http://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea)

What that's place called in Dragon City again..
Pearl House??

i use to like Try Again too, until i found they put banana peel in my drink. I thought it was a one time mistake thing, but a few weeks later, my gf also found banana peel in hers, so never went back there again.

avow
05-11-2006, 11:38 PM
anyone got anything to say about the bubble tea at urban rice?

kiwi
05-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Dessert House for me! :drool:

saiyajin
05-11-2006, 11:47 PM
try again and Atomic :thumbsup:

avow
05-11-2006, 11:59 PM
where is Atomic at saiyajin?

saiyajin
05-12-2006, 12:01 AM
^ i dont remember the address but its in a pretty crappy location i just know how to get there from TD mall which it is close to hah sorry for the lack of Info

EDIT:

wow the internet does wonders haha their website is super old and not updated

*atomic
623 - 1st Street SW
Calgary, Alberta
T2P 3B1
Business Phone: (403) 228-6642
http://www.atomicexperience.com

The *atomic taste experience is here! *atomic specializes in tea infused beverages, as well as exotic fruit juice infused creations. *atomic offers a wide variety of exotic juice infused green and black teas; ice shakes; fondue to go; mango-covered glaciers; granola, fruit & yogurt bionics; mochatomics; coconut milk mixes and yogurt and juice infused beverages. Escape the grind and experience *atomic today! Website: www.atomicexperience.com Phone: (403) 2-atomic (228.6642) Email: [email protected] Address: 623 - 1st Street SW (1/2 block North of The Bay on 1st Street SW.

avow
05-12-2006, 12:07 AM
wicked find saiyajin, that place sounds like it is really new. i am going to try and check it out this weekend.

saiyajin
05-12-2006, 12:09 AM
^ its actually been around for a while i used to get drinks from them when they were a booth on Stephen Ave and they were also at some of the festivals during the year in the city and their store has been around for a year or so
it is in a bad location tho hence i only drop by when im by the TD area

avow
05-12-2006, 12:12 AM
http://img.timeinc.net/people/i/2006/startracks/060508/lindsay_lohan.jpg
look who i found drinking bubble tea :hitit:

Team_Mclaren
05-12-2006, 12:13 AM
As beyond's official fob, i would say that Desert House and Try again has the best bubble teas in town.

Bubblemania is okay... some of their drinks are pretty gross..imo

edit: good info saiyajin, got to try that place out next time i go to TD:D

GQBalla
05-12-2006, 12:33 AM
try again
is the best.

small little crack shack but cool inside. i remember when i was still in chinese school. went to that place every saturday

Speed_69
05-12-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

:werd: 75% of the time, their drinks suck. soo watery sometimes, their food isn't the greatest too. thus i try not to go there very often.

IncredibleToad
05-12-2006, 12:42 AM
try again hands down, then bubblemania for this lychee/mango mix, good god... :drool:

Lo)2enz0
05-12-2006, 07:02 AM
As beyond's official fob, i would say that Desert House and Try again has the best bubble teas in town.

omg he admitted it, but he is right. desert house for the win

djayz
05-12-2006, 07:17 AM
damn it this thread has makes me want bubbletea right now

whats that place called in chinatown..its sort of in the basement and the roof is made out of glass and you can see onto the sidewalk?

its just down centre street going into downtown the first left turn and its on the right. i used to go there on lunch breaks and spares during school and they had some good stuff

also that new place that opened up where the internet cafe was in that building on the corner opposite from the above mentioned bubbletea place

Dj_Stylz
05-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Try Again and Desert House have my vote :thumbsup:

:werd: Try again and Desert House are awsome.

Speed_69
05-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by djayz
damn it this thread has makes me want bubbletea right now

whats that place called in chinatown..its sort of in the basement and the roof is made out of glass and you can see onto the sidewalk?

that is Try Again

vietdood
05-12-2006, 11:55 AM
i remember back in 2001-2002 we took some bbt to class then my friend asked this guy what those black balls were. he told him it was turtle testicles and the guy tried some and spit it out. it was hilarious watching him chew on it. then someone decided to shoot a pearl onto the ceiling and it stuck there for the remainder of the year. it might still be there to this day at crescent heights, 3rd floor english room, 301 or something i think. can't remember.

try again/desert house are the best in my opinion

dj_rice
05-12-2006, 06:21 PM
anyone got anything to say about the bubble tea at urban rice?

I've never actually ordered ACTUAL BBT from Urban, cause it serves alcohol there, you'd be the biggest pussy if everyone is ordering beers/hard liquor, and then you order BBT :rofl: :rofl:

But to answer your question, I say :thumbsdow , they're not really experienced in the art of making BBT, although they do make ALCOHOLIC BBT, Lychee Burst for teh win :thumbsup:

But yeah #1 Try Again, #2 Desert House, Try Agains BBT is cool tho cause they have a lid sealer thingie, whereas the other BBT places have just dome lids, so if you dont wanna drink it yet, it wont spill, cause its sealed

dj_rice
05-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by djayz

also that new place that opened up where the internet cafe was in that building on the corner opposite from the above mentioned bubbletea place

I think thats Desert House

BebeAphrodite
05-13-2006, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by saiyajin

it is in a bad location tho hence i only drop by when im by the TD area

It looks really cool at nite but when I saw it the thought to go drink there never crossed my mind because the first thing I thought of was parking.

ha ha ha, that would rank the place as bad in my books.
I like bubblemanias super sweet honey milk tea.

DC2
05-13-2006, 09:57 AM
try again FTW!!

SiG Baby
05-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Boosted_TL
I really like Peerless Pearl in China Town......Good shieeet

My friend owns that shop...Best Bubble Tea in town IMO :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AJL
05-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Bubbelmania is awesome. I go there alot. (maybe to much)
Actually im probably going to be there tonight. The Bubbletea is amazing, and so are the wings.
Salt and Pepper wings with Ranch :drool:

GQBalla
05-13-2006, 04:27 PM
bubblemania does have some great wings !!

but its true some of their bbt is gross

i-VTEC?
05-13-2006, 11:42 PM

I've never actually ordered ACTUAL BBT from Urban, cause it serves alcohol there, you'd be the biggest pussy if everyone is ordering beers/hard liquor, and then you order BBT :rofl: :rofl:

But to answer your question, I say :thumbsdow , they're not really experienced in the art of making BBT, although they do make ALCOHOLIC BBT, Lychee Burst for teh win :thumbsup:

But yeah #1 Try Again, #2 Desert House, Try Agains BBT is cool tho cause they have a lid sealer thingie, whereas the other BBT places have just dome lids, so if you dont wanna drink it yet, it wont spill, cause its sealed

for your INFO, the owners of URBAN used to own BANANA JAKS for 2 years, so TRUST ME when i say they have experience in the ART of making BBtea, and just cause it's an alcoholic place doens't mean everyone is there to get hammered, look at joeys and moxies..

As for BBtea at dessert house, its too long of a wait and i can't handle the b***tchy people

and Bubblemania is just lung cancer waiting to happen and sugared water

GTS Jeff
05-14-2006, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by i-VTEC?

for your INFO, the owners of URBAN used to own BANANA JAKS for 2 years, so TRUST ME when i say they have experience in the ART of making BBtea, and just cause it's an alcoholic place doens't mean everyone is there to get hammered, look at joeys and moxies..

As for BBtea at dessert house, its too long of a wait and i can't handle the b***tchy people

and Bubblemania is just lung cancer waiting to happen and sugared water Hey man, the title of this thread isn't "Fob Wars."

dj_rice
05-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Hey man, the title of this thread isn't "Fob Wars."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Si_FlyGuy
05-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Atomic's really good, and the lady that works there (owns the place maybe??) is always super nice.

AJL
05-14-2006, 01:53 PM
was at Bubblemania last night again. It wasnt busy for once, which meant way faster service. :)

al-ti2d
05-14-2006, 02:22 PM
try again gets my vote for the best bbt joint in calgary.
i'm slightly biased though as my friend's aunt owns it and we always go there :D
bubblemania's bbt is good too...i hate everything else about that place though :thumbsdow

dj_rice
05-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by al-ti2d
try again gets my vote for the best bbt joint in calgary.
i'm slightly biased though as my friend's aunt owns it and we always go there :D
bubblemania's bbt is good too...i hate everything else about that place though :thumbsdow

So your friends aunt owns it eh...you should introduce her to a Beyond Discount idea, 100% off

seksy
05-14-2006, 06:57 PM

So your friends aunt owns it eh...you should introduce her to a Beyond Discount idea, 100% off

^^
LOL Totally:thumbsup:

The coconut milk tea at Aura Lounge is the best Iv'e had so far.

avow
05-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by seksy

^^
LOL Totally:thumbsup:

The coconut milk tea at Aura Lounge is the best Iv'e had so far.
i was going to be like "omgwtfbbq me too" but then i realized i went with you and that was your coconut milk tea i was drinking... :dunno:

badseed
05-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Can't remember the name of the Vietnamese Restaurant but it is across the street from Chinook Mall. It has a yellowish sign.

Coconut bubble tea is amongst the best I've had, definetly worth checking out. They also have good Subs:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TurboMedic
05-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Saigon Y2K

avow
05-15-2006, 10:21 PM
there is this Vietnamese sub place down on 17th as well maybe 15-20 blocks away from the dome that has bubble tea as well. anyone know what that place is?

dj_rice
05-16-2006, 05:11 PM
there is this Vietnamese sub place down on 17th as well maybe 15-20 blocks away from the dome that has bubble tea as well. anyone know what that place is?

Banh Mi Phuc Dat Bich ?

HybridTheory
05-16-2006, 06:05 PM
My fave is definitely Try Again, they get my vote for the Jackfruit :drool: Desert house is damn good too, I love the Taro. I want to try Atomic but it's never open late at night when I'm around downtown.

Anton
05-19-2006, 12:01 PM
I definitely have to try, Try Again...

My favourite up to date is Peerless Pearl. Never really a big line and very good bbt.

Bill Cosby
05-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by badseed
Can't remember the name of the Vietnamese Restaurant but it is across the street from Chinook Mall. It has a yellowish sign.

Coconut bubble tea is amongst the best I've had, definetly worth checking out. They also have good Subs:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GOLDEN BELL

WOW BEST BBT IVE HAD TOO

TARO ROOT IS SOOO GOOOD TEEHEE

avow
05-19-2006, 01:58 PM
ok so i am off right now to check out perfect blend. will be back with a review soon.

TurboMedic
05-19-2006, 07:46 PM
I just had one at a tea stand in the entrance to T&T supermarket in Pacific place....it was great!

dragonone
05-20-2006, 04:56 AM
places in calgary just doesn't cut it at all
in van/hk/taiwan taste is much more consistent (and better)

but the best here i'd have to say is BJai
bubblemania is mediocre, can be gd if special instructions are given
everything else is... well drinkable but either taste like water or sugar

and what 'art' is there to making this stuff. they get it in powder/syrup and the real only technique might be the tapioca
bbtea on the street in hk/taiwan taste better and they're only made from machines; drinks where u could actually taste the milk, tea, and sweetness/chewiness of the tapioca

but.... any bbtea place is gd place to hang out at;)

avow
05-23-2006, 09:17 PM
just put up the review for Perfect Blend. Sorry it took so long. Great place guys, go and check it out.

DarkDream
05-30-2006, 01:24 AM
Try Again is definitely one of the best bbt places.... Mini Pearls:drool: :drool: ... But yeah i went to peerless pearl for the first time a couple weeks ago and the bbt was pretty good :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-30-2006, 01:42 AM
I <3 BBT...
My fave is Desert house...
But at 11pm tonight... No place was open...
No Dragon city... desert house... or try again...
so we went to Thai tai on 17th... wasn't too bad... reminded me of the one inside Dragon city

GTS Jeff
05-30-2006, 04:42 AM
Ok, new fave...

Pearl Castle in Richmond.

avow
06-19-2006, 12:17 AM
just thought i would throw out that perfect blend has some great new flavors including coconut (not watery like most paces), watermelon, and passion fruit. great place if you havnt checked it out yet.

HiSpec
06-19-2006, 12:30 AM
i like that place in TnT too... i believe they brew fresh tea for better taste instead of using powder on certain orders

adam c
06-19-2006, 12:33 AM
my list

1. pearless pearl (i think its the one just east of the chinese cultural centre) - strawberry calpis

2. whatever bananajaks is called now - love song

3. bubblemania - shooting star

i dont like deserthouse very much, either to much ice or watery or flavorless.. as for try again i havent had it in years so i cant remember

omagedon
06-19-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by natejj
Name: Bubble...... I have no idea. Go check. haha
Location: Foodcourt in Westbrook Mall, the mall next to Ernest Manning. Its next to a burger joint in the foodcourt :P
Minors allowed: Yes, its in a mall
Hours: Whenever malls open, 9 am- 9 pm 7 days a week
Review: No idea, i dont drink the stuff, just figured i would let you guys kow this place exists, because its kinda hidden.

Pearl Tea Hut...

I got there ALOT! I think they make one of the best Bubble Tea in Calgary. Their pearls are very good...unlike some others are so freaking hard..and they give you a lot unlike some others...

JRSC00LUDE
06-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Bubble tea.....the ony time it's okay to enjoy balls in your mouth.

Lychee Coconut at Try Again, best damn bbt in town.

str8jkt
06-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Forgive my ignorance (white guy here if you couldn't tell after this post)..

Are the tapioca "pearls" supposed to taste like anything? I don't see the point of bubble tea from my first experience other than having something to chew on in your drink? It would be different if they could get flavoured "pearls" of some kind but as it stands I don't get it right now. Just felt like a smoothie, (which was quite good from Bubblelicious just outside T&T), which stuff to chew on every drink.. :dunno: :dunno:

Also, just noticed that Thai Thai (the new sub place across from Encana Place downtown (just down from Falafel King)), also serves Bubble Tea (haven't had it there, just noticed its available).

TurboMedic
06-27-2006, 03:21 PM
They do make flavored pearls, and coloured ones....but not sure where to get them....they do have a little flavor, not sure how to describe it....

spyce
06-27-2006, 03:49 PM
i want a bubbletea
havent had one in a while
puppy love with lychee jelly from bbmania :drool:

CasperWho
06-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Pearl Tea Hut in Westbrook Mall deffinitly has the best bubbletea in calgary! :D

Bill Cosby
06-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by CasperWho
Pearl Tea Hut in Westbrook Mall deffinitly has the best bubbletea in calgary! :D

if by best you mean worst EVARRRRRRRRRRR!

i tried it before and was absolutely disgusted i got the worst diarhea

Sprinter
07-04-2006, 02:26 PM

Might be called Phat Cafe, not too sure cause i haven't been there for awhile, their bread is really hard in my opinion, always cuts the roof of my mouth when i eat their vietnamese subs

ringer
07-04-2006, 03:09 PM
my list

1. pearless pearl (i think its the one just east of the chinese cultural centre) - strawberry calpis

2. whatever bananajaks is called now - love song

3. bubblemania - shooting star

i dont like bubblemania very much, either to much ice or watery or flavorless.. as for try again i havent had it in years so i cant remember

Can't get bbtea at Banana jaks anymore.. only booze!
I really like pearless pearl so good it's the place that got me hooked
:drool:

EK 2.0
07-04-2006, 11:21 PM
I've heard, and I am not saying from who;) ...

that some of these places re-use straws...

cityhunter2501
07-04-2006, 11:27 PM
Bubblelicious and the other bubble tea store in TNT
Try Again
gets my vote.

used to go to Desert House, never liked it mainly because the persons working there seems arrogant.

I'm not picky about bubble tea anyways, wherever there is an avocado bbt im there

GQBalla
07-05-2006, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
I've heard, and I am not saying from who;) ...

that some of these places re-use straws...

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

what are some of these places???

i would guess bubblemania??

Sprinter
07-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Best Bubble Tea would be Try Again down Chinatown... MMMMM TASTEYYYYY :drool:

SlowLude
07-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Bubblemania fuckin blows ass man. The first and last time I was there, they had dead fly in a cup of tea!!!! And no, it wasn't a leaf!! At least they apologized for it.

EK 2.0
07-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by SlowLude
Bubblemania fuckin blows ass man. The first and last time I was there, they had dead fly in a cup of tea!!!! And no, it wasn't a leaf!! At least they apologized for it.

it didn't have to be a leaf maybe it was a special herbal tea??:dunno:

miyavivi
07-15-2010, 11:17 PM
bubble tea original from Taiwan, TRY AGAIN too Hong Kong-style , and Not fresh produce, various flavors of early deployment in large pot, like go to the store to buy no difference ~~~
Friend took me to one new Taiwanese bubble tea called ¡®3:30 teatime bubble¡¯ , on 3rd Ave cross Center St., beside the cup cake , they are fresh marking , for me the pearl in Calgary ,they¡¯re super Q, drinks taste good too

Disoblige
07-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by miyavivi
bubble tea original from Taiwan, TRY AGAIN too Hong Kong-style , and Not fresh produce, various flavors of early deployment in large pot, like go to the store to buy no difference ~~~
Friend took me to one new Taiwanese bubble tea called ¡®3:30 teatime bubble¡¯ , on 3rd Ave cross Center St., beside the cup cake , they are fresh marking , for me the pearl in Calgary ,they¡¯re super Q, drinks taste good too

Oh really?! Wow, thank you so much for your comment! I really appreciate it. Obviously "teatime bubble" on 3rd ave across from Center St. BESIDE the Cupcake are fresh markings...

Thanks miyavivi.

[Yu]
07-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Oh really?! Wow, thank you so much for your comment! I really appreciate it. Obviously &quot;teatime bubble&quot; on 3rd ave across from Center St. BESIDE the Cupcake are fresh markings...

Thanks miyavivi.

Aww fuck... I spat my Vector cereal everywhere!! the SOY, My laptop!!, damn clusters!!:rofl:

Integra10
07-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by miyavivi

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u205/matt_edrew/bigkahuna.jpg