PDA

View Full Version : Sony's First DSLR Camera

Xaroxantu Zero
05-11-2006, 06:29 PM
http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/05/firstsonyalpha.jpg

Sony has taken the wraps off of the company's first Alpha DSLR camera and, as expected, the digicam appears to be largely based on designs from Konica Minolta, and supports all lenses that work with Konica Minolta's earlier DSLRs, the Maxxum 5D and 7D. At this point, Sony is being coy about key details, like the digicam's megapixel count or actual launch date, but the company does say the camera is still expected to ship this summer, and that it plans to release 20 new lens models over the course of the next year -- which should be a relief to any 5D and 7D owners who were worried that they'd have to toss their gear on eBay and switch to -- shudder -- Nikon or Canon.

Update: According to Sony, "final photography" for the first Alpha model "has not been finalized yet." So, assume that what you see above is subject to change, and may end up looking completely different by the time Sony releases it. Kind of like the Playstation 3's "boomerang" controller.
Source: Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/11/sony-unveils-first-alpha-dslr/)

C4S
05-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Oh .. from that pic .. it looks aweful!!

:dunno: Sony is well known for "look" .. I am sure they will make it look better .. :(

RickDaTuner
05-11-2006, 06:46 PM
ugh whats wrong with Nikon Or Canon?

DJ Lazy
05-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
ugh whats wrong with Nikon Or Canon?

Nothing..... well I suppose each have there tiny issues, but the way they worded "switching to - shudder - Nikon or Canon" made me laugh.. because Sony is that LAST manufacturer I would buy a camera (DSLR) from.. :rofl:

BerserkerCatSplat
05-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

Nothing..... well I suppose each have there tiny issues, but the way they worded "switching to - shudder - Nikon or Canon" made me laugh.. because Sony is that LAST manufacturer I would buy a camera (DSLR) from.. :rofl:

Yeah, I thought that was pretty funny - you just watch, this'll be a rebodied Minolta with minor changes. The built-in VR was the K-M's selling point, and if they lose that, they're screwed - Sony will end up competing with Pentax for the "bargain basement" DSLR market.

Ekliptix
05-11-2006, 08:14 PM
I predict lots of noise.

Ferio_vti
05-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Oh boy!! Another reskined DSLR. First the Samtax , now a Sonyolta. :thumbsdow

D'z Nutz
05-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Meh, I welcome the competition. Canon and Nikon's been hogging the spotlight too long. Atleast now that there's more alternatives, they'll either be forced to keep their prices competitive or introduce more newer and better features to stay ahead of the game. (Not that I'd even consider a Sony.)

I don't imagine it'll be that bad. The Nikon D70/D70s, D50, and D100 cameras all used CCDs made by Sony (as well as their P&S cameras) and I'm almost certain the same ones were used on the KM dSLRs. I think the D200 uses a Sony CCD as well. If that's the case, it's gonna be tough to argue which camera has better photo quality! Haha! It'll just boil down to functions and glass now...

Ferio_vti
05-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I don't imagine it'll be that bad. The Nikon D70/D70s, D50, and D100 cameras all used CCDs made by Sony (as well as their P&S cameras) and I'm almost certain the same ones were used on the KM dSLRs. I think the D200 uses a Sony CCD as well. If that's the case, it's gonna be tough to argue which camera has better photo quality! Haha! It'll just boil down to functions and glass now...

This is true, a good number of competitors use the same Sony CCD. Yet all the cameras have different image quality and results. Different processors between D70s and D50 seemed to change everything. Pentax has the same CCD from Sony, image accuracy isn't as good but thier noise control is amazing.

BTW, has everyone seem Panasonic's new DSLR, a reskined E-330??

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/panasonic/dmcl1-front-001.jpg

Got to love that rangefinder styling and the Leica lens.

TurboMedic
05-12-2006, 07:09 PM
I don't think Nikon's prices are that out of line...there are some things that are puzzling, like the body only prices of the D50 vs D70 considering how little is different between the two.......and the D200 is reasonable for how much camera you get......I will admit, Canon's pricing is worse.....

Xaroxantu Zero
06-05-2006, 05:36 PM
DPReview just posted a hands-on preview of the camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydslra100/