PDA

View Full Version : Any body taking EET at SAIT?

JordanEG6
05-11-2006, 07:47 PM
I was wondering if there are any people who are taking EET currently or about to take it this fall?

HuMz
05-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Im already conditionally accepted for the fall as long I pass math pure (sitting at a 86 with a month left to go so it shouldn't be a problem)

I met with the head of the energy department yesterday though and he explained pretty much everything there is to know about the course, look's very promising from everything ive heard.

jav_
05-11-2006, 10:47 PM
you lloyds cousin?

JordanEG6
05-12-2006, 03:22 PM
^^ yeah, i need to sell my books ASAP.

Unknown303
05-12-2006, 08:34 PM
I just finished first year as EET.

Alex_FORD
05-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
I was wondering if there are any people who are taking EET currently or about to take it this fall?

I work in the industry. You should go to DeVry :devil:

Ven
05-12-2006, 09:03 PM
I just met 3 guys who graduated EET recently, none of them are employed in their field, and they all say most of their class is either unemployed, retraining, or working in an unrelated field. Seems most employers would rather have a P.Eng fresh outta school rather than an EET for about the same money.

JordanEG6
05-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Alex_FORD

I work in the industry. You should go to DeVry :devil:

so do i haha im just wondering who else is going

BlackArcher101
05-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Ven
Seems most employers would rather have a P.Eng fresh outta school rather than an EET for about the same money. [/B]

Except for the fact that P.Eng's aren't fresh out of school. It takes 4 years of work experience under another P.Eng to obtain that designation. They basically have their degree and an iron ring. That's it.

JordanEG6
05-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

Except for the fact that P.Eng's aren't fresh out of school. It takes years 4 of work experience under another P.Eng to obtain that designation. They basically have their degree and an iron ring. That's it.

very true actually..you need experience to get your P. Eng. Stamp. most engineer grads dont know whats going on, on the job fresh out of the U. which is strange because sait gets more practical and/or work experience through out the eng. tech courses and seem to know more fresh out of school IMO, they just dont get the degree, ring and title as engineer.

rinny
05-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I hope its not true about what was said about EET's not being hired. A friend of mine graduated PET in June last year, got a job that Sept making 45G's + job bonus, then just got promoted a month ago making over 6 figures.

JordanEG6
05-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by rinny
I hope its not true about what was said about EET's not being hired. A friend of mine graduated PET in June last year, got a job that Sept making 45G's + job bonus, then just got promoted a month ago making over 6 figures.

i guess its all about where and how often you look...you'll be surprised at how many good industry contacts you obtain during your second year...people are just lazy...and its only been 2 weeks since the end of my course so no one should expect all of us to have jobs already. I bet within a year, most of us will have jobs if we not already have them.

During your years at SAIT, some contacts come visit for KVA Club meetings and give the students a chance to hand-in resumes and chat with industry contacts with FREE PIZZA and pop, which most schools such as the University, or MRC don't have this kind of privlage (sp?) and opportunity. You'll meet companies such as Fluor Canada, Colt Engineering, AESO, GE (General Electric), Enmax ect. All you need to do is take advantage of the situation.

Alex_FORD
05-12-2006, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't hire a eng grad to do the work of an experienced EET. The eng grad would suck, and by the time you have him trained he will want a better job with better pay.

But you are right, there a definitely companies that think that way. But, then there are other companies that have alot of EETs doing the work of junior and intermediate engineers.

So, personally, I don't think that there is any inequity happening here. Things work out for EETs and eng that bring value to their employer, the others will see alot of short-lived low paying jobs until they smarten up.

Experience is not hard to find, there's always someone out there that wants to exploit you.

jav_
05-18-2006, 01:47 AM
aaahh the books got sold alrdy...anyone else selling??