PDA

View Full Version : Help me find what car to get???($40k)

pookie
03-31-2003, 01:54 PM
My family is looking for a new car, and I think my dad really set on Mercedes because my he thinks that BMW's are too expensive to maintain. But my mom really likes standard cars so that might keep it as a tight race between the two brands.

Here are the rules:
-The max we are willing to spend is a little under 40K.
-There is no chance that we would consider a domestic or non-german car.
-And I dont think my dad wants a new car but rather a pre 98 or 99 car.
-No green cars. I can't stress this enough...
-No Audi's. Becuase my mom already has the new Beetle, and I don't wanna be any more of a nazi.

Does anybody know of any cars within Alberta that can fufill this criteria and help me be happy again?

Thanks alot

hjr
03-31-2003, 02:05 PM
Ok, mercedes will probably not be any cheaper to maintain than a BMW, but somebody owning these cars should confirm.

OK, so he doesnt want an Audi, or a VW or a BMW, so C class Merc. Benz it is. I dont see where else to go. Well i guess you could import an Opel, but thats kinda lame.

max_boost
03-31-2003, 02:09 PM
The only mercedes you can get is a used C-Class Sedan 240

What about Acura TL/CL/TSX/
Honda Accord

Toyota Camry/Avalon
Lexus IS300/ES300

I can go on forever man! haha

I knew another one of these threads would start, what I am suprised that it isn't Xlythane, lammer or stratus power bhwhahah :rofl:

pookie
03-31-2003, 02:54 PM
...well dudes, we DO like BMWs.
And my parents refuse to get a c-class.
My dad is currently checking out a 98 E320. But I really want him to get a 1994 540i.
I love e34's. If you just put in the clears and black out the grill they can look so fresh.

The only problem is that if we get a BMW its GOTTA be standard. Its not really a problem, but too many people have automatics for sale. Its hard to find a stantard, and i need a clutch that i can burn.

P.S. I think I have SARS.

Weapon_R
03-31-2003, 04:23 PM
You haven't left much of a choice:

No non-german car

No audis, bmw's, vw's etc.

Leaves Benz. Not too many newer ones you can find for under 40k, although a used C class or older E Class may be ok

R-Audi
03-31-2003, 05:00 PM
Ummm, about the Audi-Nazi thing. Hitler started VW- peoples car.
Audi was started through an assortment of companies called the Auto-Union. VW has recently purchased them, so the whole Nazi thing shouldn't really apply.

That said, and seeing that you live in Calgary, an A4 or an A6 would suit you fine. A4's start at around 35k for the 1.8T, and go up with the 3.0L V6. Quattro really can't be beat for Calgarian winters.
As far as maintenance, all of the German cars are more expensive than most, but as with anything, it depends on how you treat the car. Wouldn't warranty take care of this anyways?

It should also depend on what your parents want too, typically most Benz's are geared towards the retired age people (I say typically because the SLK's on the board are definately not old person cars, along with a few others in the line up)
Where as BMW has more of a sporty reputation. I am not really sure of Audi's reputation, but drive one in the snow, and your mind will be made up.

RC-Cola
03-31-2003, 05:36 PM
I know you said that your family is looking for a new car, but you didn't state if this is just you and or your Dad to drive 99% of the time or if you need a people hauler. Alos you didn't say if you want a something speedy or classic.

If I had between $35,000 to $40,000 to spend I would look no further than the Subaru WRX...:thumbsup:

But that's me... :dunno:

Ferio_vti
03-31-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You haven't left much of a choice:

No non-german car

No audis, bmw's, vw's etc.

Leaves Benz. Not too many newer ones you can find for under 40k, although a used C class or older E Class may be ok

There's Porsche.

No offence but with a criteria like that.

R-Audi
03-31-2003, 06:01 PM
If he is looking at German cars, typically a Subaru won't be in the same class. Especially if its for his parents. They would look more towards refinement, then raw speed. And in that case, a Subie doesn't stand a chance

szw
03-31-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by pookie

P.S. I think I have SARS.

WTF is that supposed to mean?

TheXplosion
03-31-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by szw

WTF is that supposed to mean?

That new desease out in the world mainly in toronto, no case of it in Calgary yet.

darknight
03-31-2003, 06:38 PM
UMM Infiniti G35. Not european but in my mind way better and better yet servicing won't be near as much as those others your looking at for the simple reason Infinity keeps its shop rates the same as the nissan dealerships.

European cars are way to over rated!!:werd:

pookie
03-31-2003, 06:38 PM
Ladies, ladies.
Its really a choice between
MERCEDES and BMW
I'm not asking for whats the best car or whatever.
I'm asking if you know of any nice mercedes or bmws that are for sale in calgary. And we are not gonna get an entry-level car.
No C-classes, no 318i's, and no WRXs.
I think I can push up the price to about $45K.
And as long as it seats 4 adults its big enough for us.

P.S. I like Audi, but they look too much like passats for me to really consider them.

pookie
03-31-2003, 06:41 PM
AND I hope you guys realize, I said PRE 1999.
So 1992-1999 are the ideal years.

szw
03-31-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by TheXplosion

That new desease out in the world mainly in toronto, no case of it in Calgary yet.

yah i know what it is, i just don't know why he's saying it

hjr
03-31-2003, 06:58 PM
97 E420. That is a REALLY freaken nice mercedes benz. Check em out. Thats probably the way i would go i think.

hjr
03-31-2003, 06:59 PM
The 95 style is pretty nice too.

nismodrifter
03-31-2003, 07:25 PM
w126 mercedes 560 sel or 420 sel:D

Glowrider
03-31-2003, 07:58 PM
W210 MB E-Class

FiveFreshFish
03-31-2003, 08:31 PM
Does anybody know of any cars within Alberta that can fufill this criteria and help me be happy again?

Thanks alot

I know someone selling a 98 M3 sedan in Estoril Blue that may fit your requirements. Looks similar to this but with black interior.

Hakkola
03-31-2003, 09:07 PM
Fuck, some of you people really should read the thread before you reply, he never said no bmw... Basically it's between BMW and MB, your dad doesn't want a c-class, that's a good thing.

I'm not sure if I could see your mom driving an M3, but your dad I could see. A 98 CLK or something would be cool, or E34 5 Series, or a nice E500 my body style.

Hakkola
03-31-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by darknight
European cars are way to over rated!!:werd:

I'm willing to bet $100 you've never owned a Mercedes or BMW.
Maybe they're slipping a bit right now, but mid 90's I'd say there are no better cars.

Zorro knows of an E500 for sale, it's a mean machine. Next time I talk to him I'll look into it, or maybe he'll see this thread.

FiveFreshFish
03-31-2003, 09:10 PM
But my mom really likes standard cars...

She'd be the coolest mom in the city driving an M3! :D

hjr
03-31-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by darknight
UMM Infiniti G35. Not european but in my mind way better and better yet servicing won't be near as much as those others your looking at for the simple reason Infinity keeps its shop rates the same as the nissan dealerships.

European cars are way to over rated!! :werd:

umm, your tarded boi. Have you ever even sat in a Merc. Benz? (and not a C class)

92 Teg-B18A
04-01-2003, 12:00 AM
Lexus IS 300 would be a good choice as max boost suggested :)

hjr
04-01-2003, 12:12 AM
they dont want asian cars, or entry level cars, so ultra-nay on the IS300.

02bump'nWRX
04-04-2003, 04:24 PM
My mom bought a new 2000 E320 4matic a couple years ago from hyatt. By far the worst experience we have ever had with an automobile. Their serivce was crap the car was crap and everyhting else was crap. My parents live in Red Deer and we had to tow the car to calgary 3 times. The tranny control thing craped out all the time and it wouldn;t shift gears or anything. It was cause by apparently someone spilling coffee on the counsel. They wern't going to warrenty it because, get this "it specififcly says in the owners manual that you can't have drink in the cup holder while the car is in motion" We checked all our other car manuals and it says no such thing. They finally replaced it under warrenty and it happened about 2 months later. They threatened again not to warrenty it but after we talked to the president or vp of MB of canada they finally replaced that. Oh and the head customer service chick plainly told my mom if you want a reliable car buy an infinitie and not a mercedes. Needless to say we got rid of that POS in a hurry and traded it in on 3 suzukis. My mom got a fully loaded XL7 my sister a 4 door vitara and my dad a 2 door. Suzuki in red deer sure likes us!! Anyway service is expensive too. At hyatt they charged us somehting like 300 for an regular maintenance... lube, filter, oil change and some other shit. Oh and all the axel seals need to be replaced with 36000kms and the tranny was leaking fluid. I will never own a MB product and same with my family. At the time there were 3 benzes in my imediate family (grandma, unlce and us) and now their is none. I suggest buying anything japanese. Our old toyota perivia is still running awsome with 325000kms. It has never had anything done to it except for regular maintenance, brake pads and rotors and one u joint.