PDA

View Full Version : No More hummer H1

afrotl
05-12-2006, 05:48 PM
http://www.mytelus.com/money/news/article.do?pageID=ex_business/home&articleID=2259241

Friday, May 12, 2006 Email this to a friend
print this page

General Motors to end production of hulking, gas-guzzling Hummer H1

DETROIT (AP) - Get ready to say goodbye to the Hummer H1, the hulking, gas-guzzling status symbol that has attracted celebrities and off-road enthusiasts but has drawn the ire of environmentalists.
General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM) said Friday that the 2006 model year will be the last for the H1, which has been the foundation for the automaker's Hummer brand. Based on the military's Humvee, the about 12,000 put on the road since 1992 defined the Hummer name.

"It's a reflection of where we're going with the Hummer brand," Hummer general manager Martin Walsh said of the decision. "The Hummer DNA still resides in the Humvee. ... It will always be the core from where we come."

GM expects the last H1s to be built next month.

Walsh said Hummer plans to focus on models with broader appeal instead of the niche-market H1. Since taking over the Hummer name in 2000, GM has introduced the still hefty H2 and a midsize H3 sport utility vehicle.

The H1 gets about 16 kilometres per U.S. gallon, but Walsh said rising gas prices didn't factor into GM's decision. He noted that H1 buyers typically have been less sensitive about gas prices than most other drivers.

Auto analyst Erich Merkle with the Grand Rapids consulting company IRN Inc. said the decision fits with steps GM has taken to bring the Hummer brand to more mainstream drivers with the H2 and H3.

"They're going to continue moving Hummer in that direction," Merkle said. "It's a great brand. There is a lot that can be done with that in terms of leveraging its ruggedness and toughness."

Merkle added that the kind of drivers who buy the H1 don't worry about things like gas prices.

"It's really one of those over-the-top vehicles," Merkle said. "It doesn't really have much of a place in everyday society. You can't put it in the parking ramps. Parking spaces can't accommodate it."

The H1 attracted well-heeled drivers looking for a military-style vehicle with an intimidating stance. For the 2006 model year, the H1 was offered as a high-performance H1 Alpha that costs about $130,000 to $140,000 US.
The 2004 model year H1 sold at a base price of about $106,000 US. The vehicle first was marketed to the public as the Hummer in 1992 by AM General, which also makes the military version. Under a 1999 deal, GM bought marketing rights to the Hummer name and called the vehicle the Hummer H1.

Hummers often have been associated with celebrities who owned them, such as actor Arnold Schwarzenegger. He was AM General's first civilian customer, buying a custom-made conversion of the military model as well as civilian production models.

Schwarzenegger once owned a fleet of Hummers but now has just two. The California governor's aides say he rarely drives them anymore.

The Hummer's critics include the Sierra Club, which has faulted the vehicle for its bulk and poor gas mileage. Dan Becker, director of the Sierra Club's global warming program, welcomed the news, which comes as Congress tackles fuel economy standards and drivers face higher gas prices.

"The timing is pretty amazing," Becker said.

Last year, GM sold 374 H1s, down 16 per cent from 447 in 2004.

GM is working to turn around its North American automotive operations and this week announced its first quarterly profit since 2004. Last year it announced plans to cut 30,000 jobs and close 12 facilities by 2008. It also has stockpiled parts in case workers at supplier Delphi Corp. go on strike.

AM General, which builds the H1, H2 and Humvee in Mishawaka, Ind., said it doesn't plan to cut any jobs as a result of the decision. It said workers there were expected to be shifted to military production.

With the war in Iraq, the end of H1 production comes at a time when military demand for Humvee has increased, said AM General spokesman Craig MacNab. Publicity surrounding the Humvee in the Persian Gulf War - and the drop in military demand afterward - helped lead to the civilian model.

"The military production is way up, the civilian production is way down," MacNab said. "You can't make a business case for making any investment in the civilian vehicle. ... It's a good time to stop."

snowcatxx87
05-12-2006, 05:49 PM
H1 for off road enthusiats? Lol - I wish handsombandman wasnt banned, he could tell you how much they suck haha

Hakkola
05-12-2006, 05:59 PM
H1 sucked? That's the only hummer I like, it's the H2 and H3 that lick balls.

toyboy88
05-12-2006, 06:08 PM
i only like the h2 IMO

Supa Dexta
05-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
H1 sucked? That's the only hummer I like, it's the H2 and H3 that lick balls.

agreed.. I want to see an h2 or 3 drive over a landmine..

:rofl:

"What matters is that three MPs walked away from a Humvee after its front end was blown off in Bosnia, and that a U.S. Army Ranger in gritty Mogadishu, Somalia, was saved when an RPG—rocket-propelled grenade—failed to penetrate the door of his Humvee."

"One of the vehicles dropped by helicopter landed upside down; the [Army] Rangers rolled it over and drove it away,"

"The Hummer is a tiger offroad. The H1 can climb a 22-inch vertical wall, navigate a 60% grade, traverse a 40% grade side slope fully loaded (with nearly 3,500 pounds of payload), and operate in up to 30 inches of water."

lets see your yukon wrapped in square sheet metal do that^

And I seen this, while looking up the facts>

All Hummer dealers are required (as a condition to holding the franchise) to organize 4 Hummer off-road events per year!

didn't know that^..?

Graham_A_M
05-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
The H1 can climb a 22-inch vertical wall, navigate a 60% grade,

:nut:

WOW, 60% is NUTS. Those were amazing vehicles, and still definately are today, the $130k-140k "high performance Alpha" LMAO, WTF is up with a "high performance H1?" I hope thats engine performance only.

My buddy is getting an H3, I really like them, but I'm not an "SUV person" But if I was, an H3 would be first on my list. :)

infected
05-12-2006, 10:36 PM
H1's are still the way to go, ugly... but solid. ;)

Supa Dexta
05-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by infected
H1's are still the way to go, ugly... but solid. ;)

No way! Way hotter than wannabe h2's..

http://www.netcarshow.com/hummer/2004-h1/1024x768/wallpaper_0f.jpg

http://pascalpierart.free.fr/photos/script/albums/userpics/10001/normal_HUMMER%20H1.jpg

:drool:

It's like comparing a wrx to the kia wannabe.. It doesn't come close to the original,, it's for poseurs....

GC84ever
05-12-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm not a SUV fan.

But the Hummer H1 is the ONLY SUV that I like. And is the only one worth owning.

Isn't the H2 and H3 based on another GM chassis with Hummer body parts.

Supa Dexta
05-12-2006, 10:59 PM
"Although it shares GM's GMT820 truck platform with the Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon, those vehicles differ in many ways and are constructed in three other GM plants. The H2's final frame assembly is made up of 3 sections: The front uses a modified GM 2500-Series utility frame, the mid-section is all new and is completely boxed, and the rear section uses a modifed GM 1500-Series frame which is upgraded for the 8000 pound gross vehicle weight."

so a 1/2 ton frame with a few extra gusset's..ha

barbarian
05-13-2006, 12:20 AM
The only good Hummer is the military Humvee.

SilverBoost
05-13-2006, 02:07 PM
H1, Awesome...

H2, good city version

H3, not a hummer IMO. If you can't afford the real thing, then don't buy one at all.

2002civic
05-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost
H1, Awesome...

H2, good city version

H3, not a hummer IMO. If you can't afford the real thing, then don't buy one at all.
:werd:

dave101
05-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by snowcatxx87
H1 for off road enthusiats? Lol - I wish handsombandman wasnt banned, he could tell you how much they suck haha

why was he banned??

freakin
05-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Did I read that right? 8,000lbs for an H2??? Fuck that's a pig. I can't belive people buy those ugly things. The only thing I can see going for them is that they're expensive so they make your superficial neighbors jealous.

Here's a fitting link:
http://fuh2.com/

Eleanor
05-14-2006, 04:11 PM
The H1 IMO is the only true SUV. I hate all these ppl who go out and buy an H2 to take their kids to school. You don't need it, get a mini-van. If you're going off-roading then get an SUV, if you're not leaving the city, get a van, period. Plus H2s are tiny inside. I'm 5'11 and my head was touching the roof in the middle row. Ridiculous, if you're going to pay that kind of money get something that you can fit in.

Dren
05-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by barbarian
The only good Hummer is the military Humvee.

True...:thumbsup:

Mar
05-15-2006, 11:13 AM
What's the difference in a Hummer and a Humvee?

freakin
05-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Mar
What's the difference in a Hummer and a Humvee?

One will cost you $100. :poosie:

The Humvee is what they were originally called when they were intended for military use. It's an play on HMMWV, or High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle. Hummer is what yuppies drive.

cujo_cjc
05-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
The H1 IMO is the only true SUV. I hate all these ppl who go out and buy an H2 to take their kids to school. You don't need it, get a mini-van. If you're going off-roading then get an SUV, if you're not leaving the city, get a van, period. Plus H2s are tiny inside. I'm 5'11 and my head was touching the roof in the middle row. Ridiculous, if you're going to pay that kind of money get something that you can fit in.

Just cuz you dont go offroading doesnt mean you shouldnt get an SUV. I personally hate vans. And SUV's look nicer too

Thats like saying only get a sports car if you are gonna be at the track 24/7

dezinr
05-15-2006, 01:33 PM
I read an article in business week some while back that stated although the Humvee is the military vehicle for the us army the Us Rangers elite force do not use the Humvee as they are unreliable and constantly breakdown. They use toyota's and nothing else.

bspot
05-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by cujo_cjc

Just cuz you dont go offroading doesnt mean you shouldnt get an SUV. I personally hate vans. And SUV's look nicer too

Thats like saying only get a sports car if you are gonna be at the track 24/7

If your gas pedal will never see the floor and your tach will never see redline and you'd like a 'sports car' get a fricken passeo.

If you need to take your kids to soccer get an odessy.

Hakkola
05-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by dezinr
I read an article in business week some while back that stated although the Humvee is the military vehicle for the us army the Us Rangers elite force do not use the Humvee as they are unreliable and constantly breakdown. They use toyota's and nothing else.

Which is why the Canadian Military was smart and bought G-Classes. :thumbsup:

l8braker
05-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Back in the day around '96, my Dad was close to buying a black wagon (my lovely Mother crunched the idea at the last minute and had another baby) But I remember the Hummer Salesman Danny Shannon at Greatwest Hummer on Blackfoot (Before is went over to Shaw) taking my Dad and myself out in the dead of winter in an opentop 4-door on the road and over to the motorbike park for some offroading... The thing is a pita on the road, but when we got off and were going down the steepest inclines, thru a big snowbank it was unreal. The coolest thing was the air monitoring system which you can control all tire pressure at the flip of a switch. The car had a presense on the road which i don't think can really be topped. You can try with a jacked up domestic suv or truck, but a Hummer barrelling down blackfoot scared alot of people!! Sad to see it go.

l8braker
05-15-2006, 05:18 PM
http://www.code3motorpool.com/images/031hummerh1_b.jpg

It's still on my list of cars to own oneday. Big back one with a massive brushguard and field lights.

Kind of sad how the brand is viewed as what it is today as opposed to the brute car back then, but any smart businessman would have made as much profit as they did and are..