PDA

View Full Version : cardio or just go to body building

kane584
05-12-2006, 06:29 PM
in about 3 years from now, ill have to do a physical test, im about 5"7 and kinda stocky, but im about 20-25 lb over, i was wondering if i should go strait to weights or lose the pounds first and then go to doing wights for body building..
a buddy told me to just go strait to weights..i dunno
any suggestions

vincent-h
05-12-2006, 08:09 PM
do both?

do weights with a nice mix of cardio

Alex_FORD
05-14-2006, 03:36 AM
Ay your age, you probably think 20-25 pounds is an incredible amount of weight, but it isn't.

When you are that close to your target weight, you should only focus on a healthier lifestyle, IMO.

2002civic
05-14-2006, 10:12 AM
its harder to do both at the same time, if you want to get big you eat and gain muscle and fat, so bulk up and cut afterwords

Hakkola
05-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
its harder to do both at the same time, if you want to get big you eat and gain muscle and fat, so bulk up and cut afterwords

I think he said he's 25 pounds heavier than he wants to be, I wouldn't suggest bulking more.

Honestly, maybe do weights at lower weight and higher reps, while doing cardio, so you get stronger while losing weight. Then when you're around where you want to be start uping the weights.

I wouldn't suggest going straight to just weights because then you're not going to be burning much fat, you'll just be adding muscle, then it's going to be even harder to hit your target weight.

2002civic
05-14-2006, 12:25 PM
lifting weights does help with fat loss if its intense though but id aggree 25 lbs overweight means a healthier diet and lighter weights with some cardio to start or pm 1-cent ;)

1-Cent
05-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
lifting weights does help with fat loss if its intense though but id aggree 25 lbs overweight means a healthier diet and lighter weights with some cardio to start or pm 1-cent ;)

We talked, he didnt take my suggestion lol

People that are overwieght for the mirror but aren't morbidly obease are in somewhat of a good start possition. since the body has an additional source of stored calories, as in fat and its fact that if you've got a little extra on you you can move more weight. You may tire faster but it evens out, I think it would feel much more rewarding to at least start with weight training for a few months then throw in some light cardio and ramp it up over time so in the end you've got some mass to you underneith rather than dropping all the fat and looking skinny-fat. A lot of numbers are passed around so i'll use a range rather than a specific, roughly 12-16% is optimal for muscle growth, lower and your body eats into protiens to get its fuel to work out and building muscle is harder... so really you'll just end up bulking back up next winter.

I mean yeah ok everyone wants to look beach ready yesterday haha what I gave you was a long term plan say next summer rather than this one, that is a more reasonable time frame... without coming to the darkside :devil:

Wildcat
05-14-2006, 04:29 PM
the guy who does 1.5 hours of weights a day and half and hour of cardio is going to look 100 times better than the guy doing 2 hours of cardio everyday.

write that down

Hakkola
05-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
the guy who does 1.5 hours of weights a day and half and hour of cardio is going to look 100 times better than the guy doing 2 hours of cardio everyday.

write that down

Problem is some people have physical tests to pass and that might not cut it.

1-Cent
05-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Like I said, plan ahead, as in quarters and years, don't wait till a month before your physical and look for the magic answer, there isnt one.

PSYCH
05-14-2006, 09:03 PM
You have to do both, period.

Cardio will help to burn more energy, but you need to lift weights to increase your metabolic tissue (burn more energy). Your body will want to keep you about the same weight so when you start to eat more it speeds up your metabolism, when you eat less then it slows it down. You have to have muscle that demands energy for when you 'diet' to keep up you metabolism.

kane584
05-15-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by 1-Cent

We talked, he didnt take my suggestion lol

People that are overwieght for the mirror but aren't morbidly obease are in somewhat of a good start possition. since the body has an additional source of stored calories, as in fat and its fact that if you've got a little extra on you you can move more weight. You may tire faster but it evens out, I think it would feel much more rewarding to at least start with weight training for a few months then throw in some light cardio and ramp it up over time so in the end you've got some mass to you underneith rather than dropping all the fat and looking skinny-fat. A lot of numbers are passed around so i'll use a range rather than a specific, roughly 12-16% is optimal for muscle growth, lower and your body eats into protiens to get its fuel to work out and building muscle is harder... so really you'll just end up bulking back up next winter.

I mean yeah ok everyone wants to look beach ready yesterday haha what I gave you was a long term plan say next summer rather than this one, that is a more reasonable time frame... without coming to the darkside :devil:

i want to get stronger, and build more muscle with out using any enhancments besides protien, any suggestions bro

Originally posted by Hakkola

my physical is exactly 7-8 months from now

A790
05-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by kane584

That makes no sense.

Is it EXACTLY 7 months, or 8?

Man, do a half hour of cardio when you wake up in the morning and do a good weight routine. Worked well for me ;)

Alex_FORD
05-28-2006, 01:14 AM
in about 3 years from now, ill have to do a physical test, i

Holy Crap!!! Time sure flies when you are having fun on beyond.ca

:rofl:

1-Bar
05-31-2006, 05:41 AM
Rough plan: Hit the weights, put as much lean body mass on as possible in 4-6 weeks while putting in ~6 hours of cardio/week. Interval train for 4-6 to shed all that fat.....Personal experience, my client shedded 25lbs of fat and gained 30lbs of LBM in a span of 2 months. :thumbsup:

5hift
05-31-2006, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
Rough plan: Hit the weights, put as much lean body mass on as possible in 4-6 weeks while putting in ~6 hours of cardio/week. Interval train for 4-6 to shed all that fat.....Personal experience, my client shedded 25lbs of fat and gained 30lbs of LBM in a span of 2 months. :thumbsup:

Unless your client got some help from the darkside like 1-cent was refering to, I call bullshit on 30 lbs of LBM in 2 months. Secondly, I hope you were joking about doing 6 hours of cardio a week while trying to gain muscle. He'll sure lose a lot of bodyfat, but the chances of him building any muscle let alone retaining everything he has is slim with that much regular cardio.

Your a trainer? :rofl:

~Leah~
05-31-2006, 09:36 AM
Personally I do between 5-6 hours of cardio/week at 75-90% MHR and when I was actually doing weight training, I put on A LOT of lean muscle mass... so it's not entirely impossible, I think it just depends on each individual's body... as with every aspect of fitness.

1-Bar
05-31-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by 5hift

Unless your client got some help from the darkside like 1-cent was refering to, I call bullshit on 30 lbs of LBM in 2 months. Secondly, I hope you were joking about doing 6 hours of cardio a week while trying to gain muscle. He'll sure lose a lot of bodyfat, but the chances of him building any muscle let alone retaining everything he has is slim with that much regular cardio.

Your a trainer? :rofl:

Yeah, I'm a trainer.....30lbs of LBM in 2 months, what, just got its a lot of in such lean time you call BS?!? I'll give you his number and you can talk to him personally and tell him his gains are BS. What personal experience have you got training people? You ever heard about the ABC's of anabolic training?

What role does cardio have in reducing muscle gains?:dunno:

Unknown303
06-03-2006, 07:30 AM
:clap: SUPER SETS:clap:

I love doing workouts were all the different muscle groups are combined in supersets. Makes you sweet like crazy and really gets your heart pumping. But thats the whole point right. When i had a trainer she did lots of superset workouts with me and circuits and although i never gained weight which was my goil. I did go from 12% BF down to 4% BF. Which i thought was impressive as i discovered that there are some serious abs down here. :D

1-Bar
06-03-2006, 08:31 AM
12% to 4% nutz!! How long did that take you??

iceburns288
06-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Alex_FORD
Holy Crap!!! Time sure flies when you are having fun on beyond.ca
:rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

fluid
06-04-2006, 12:04 AM
well best way would be to bulk, but when ppl say bulk alot of them think that bulking means to put on as much fat and muscle as possible, the point is to try and put on as much as muscle, while limiting fat gains to a minimum.....but this take time for you to learn your body.
the best way to try and accomplish this is by using carb-cutoff's.
its a type of way that you can lose fat, but keep your muscle loss at a minimum, because face it when you try and lose weight, you eat less...which means less protein/carbs/etc. in ur system which actually cause you to lose some of your muscle.
This is actually a very long subject, you can pm me if u got more questions.

Unknown303
06-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
12% to 4% nutz!! How long did that take you??

I believe it took me about 6 months, i had a trainer twice a week and she busted my ass.