PDA

View Full Version : Why import from Texas?

blinkme_210
05-14-2006, 02:42 AM
What is it about Texas that makes it a popular place to import US cars from? Besides the fact that most cars can be found for cheaper. Is it much more cheaper than other states?

Back in the day when I was a car jockey for a local car shop, a friend of the boss would frequently bring in his BMW's to be detailed, and they were all imported from Texas.

Help me out here, looking into picking up a M3 soon... ;)

xrayvsn
05-14-2006, 06:09 AM
Oil money = larger selection of nicer cars. No hard winter starts or rust. :dunno:

Rowdy
05-14-2006, 07:09 AM
The big 3 in the west are Texas, Arizona, and California. I brought back a 2002 745Li from San Fransisco last November. The main reason they come from those 3 for private buyers is they are all snow free regions, with the largest populations (best choices). Because I buy from dealer auctions the largest auctions are in Phoenix, San Fran, Dallas, then Houston. If you want a VW you will find most come from Colorado. That is were VW Finance chooses to dispose of most of their cars because they have a main finance office in Denver. Most US VW that we see in canada had a Colorado Title. BMW and Mercedes both dispose most of their cars between Dallas and San Fran auctions. I assumed from this post you were wondering why the hell I was going all the way to Dallas for a truck. Thats why, best choices, and there fore better $$. When I bought they had 2500 cars going through, the Seattle auctions had 600, and most weeks Calgary and Edmonton have about 400 each, and all our stuff is high mileage. The truck I am bringing back already has a buyer waiting for it. And if for some reason they pass, it will go right through the Calgary auction and you will find it on a dealer lot. Unless I decide to keep it for a while to drive myself, like I did with the 745li. It was too nice not to enjoy for a while.

2002civic
05-14-2006, 10:10 AM
^^where do you find out about these auctions, any websites?