PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider essential in the camera bag?

forced14
05-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Just wondering what you carry around in the camera bag, such as accessories for your camera. Im trying to find out what I should buy next. I have a Canon Digital Rebel, and im wondering what I should get for it, because so far I have not bought anything besides the camera and the basic lens it comes with, as well as memory card.

Oh as well, because I am just getting into photography, perhaps a brief description as to why its important, and mention what it helps with.

Thanks for any help

--forced

lint
05-14-2006, 10:20 PM
lens pen, blower bulb. lenses get dusty and so does the sensor if you change lenses in the field. spare batteries. spare memory card. self explanatory.

TurboMedic
05-14-2006, 10:50 PM
tripod! I know it doesn't fit in the bag, but its very important! A good lens cloth or two, spare battery...

DJ Lazy
05-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Essentials IMO:

- EXTRA memory card (especially if you shoot in RAW)
- Extra Batteries for sure.

Anything you don't think you will need when you go out shooting, take with you, because there have been too many instances where I said to myself... I won't use that.. and something comes up and guess what.. I need that one thing.

D'z Nutz
05-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Word on the batteries and memory. Get your batteries off eBay and memory at Costco.

Rav4Guy
05-14-2006, 11:25 PM
In Bag:
- Battery (good to have, small size)
- Memory (I carry 2 1GB and 1 2GB)
- Lens Filters (polorizer/UV for 2 sizes)
- Brush/Cleaner cloth (clean lens)
- Mini tripod (used it a couple times)
- Flash unit (a must have)
- Lenses

In Car:
- regular tripod in the car
- battery chargers (just in case everything dies)
- foldable chair (just in case you're tired in the field)

Ferio_vti
05-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Get a 'the pod' at the Camera store, www.thepod.ca.
I had one til I lost it in HK this year. Amazing little piece of equipment. Great for those locations where you can't use a tripod.

A point & shoot cam. I know, sounds wierd. But I find myself working with both a DSLR and my point & shoot all the time. Doubles as a back up or whatever. Not all of us can afford a second camera body.

Lenshood to reduce flare.

DJ Lazy
05-15-2006, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Rav4Guy

- Memory (I carry 2 1MB and 1 2MB)

I sure hope you mean 2 1Gig and 1 2Gig.. you won't fit much on a 2MB card.. ;)

- Lenses

pshhh.. those aren't essential.. :rofl:

Rav4Guy
05-15-2006, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

I sure hope you mean 2 1Gig and 1 2Gig.. you won't fit much on a 2MB card.. ;)

pshhh.. those aren't essential.. :rofl:

LOL! I fixed it... Let me see.. shooting at 8MB.. I wouldn't get one picture in at max settings with a 2MB card... :D

anyone know where I can pick up a lens hood for my 28-135IS? The only places I've seen them are on eBay.

DJ Lazy
05-15-2006, 12:13 AM

LOL! I fixed it... Let me see.. shooting at 8MB.. I wouldn't get one picture in at max settings with a 2MB card... :D

anyone know where I can pick up a lens hood for my 28-135IS? The only places I've seen them are on eBay.

The Camera Store should be able to help you.. or atleast order one in for ya..

Rav4Guy
05-15-2006, 12:14 AM
^ I think I asked Larry there.. as I bought all my gear through them. I don't remember what he said.... either that or it was really expensive..

:thumbsup: for The Camera Store.

forced14
05-15-2006, 05:58 PM
What type of lens filters should I be looking at, and what exactly are they going to help me with?

--forced

lint
05-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by forced14
What type of lens filters should I be looking at, and what exactly are they going to help me with?

--forced

It depends on which school of thought you follow. I'm not a filter guy. I personally don't see the point of putting a $50 piece of glass infront of the front element of a $1400 lens. I just try to be careful, and when the shooting is done the lens cap goes back on. I also use a lens hood, which protects the front of the lens as well.

The only filter I use now is a circular polarizer. There are tests out there that show the image degradation that you can experience, especially with cheaper filters.

Ferio_vti
05-15-2006, 09:49 PM
^^

On the other hand, I'd rather have a $50 piece of glass protect my $1400 lens from the elements. Plus a UV filter is highly recommended for digital.

DJ Lazy
05-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
^^

On the other hand, I'd rather have a $50 piece of glass protect my $1400 lens from the elements.

However most people don't realize that you can replace the individual elements (if damaged) in the lens for about the same price as a filter that you use to protect them...

JTI
05-16-2006, 01:32 AM
There are tons of things you can get. If anything, get some good glass. That, my friend, is essential.

Obscura
05-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

However most people don't realize that you can replace the individual elements (if damaged) in the lens for about the same price as a filter that you use to protect them...

let's see...
take off damaged filter in a couple seconds...
send in lens for repair for a couple weeks...

I'll take the first option.

Yeah cheap filters will degrade image quality so don't buy cheap filters...

:thumbsup:

Moonracer
05-23-2006, 08:53 AM
In the 13 years I have been shooting wtih and SLR camera I have yet to damage the front element of any lens. I used a UV for the first year but decided I didn't like the extra piece of glass out front. I do use a lens hood on my wide angle zoom at least. Protects from lens flare and the lens itself a bit.

Obscura
05-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Moonracer
In the 13 years I have been shooting wtih and SLR camera I have yet to damage the front element of any lens.

Neither have I but I like the extra bit of insurance it offers. Even a mistake in cleaning can damage the coatings.

But hey, just my opinion:thumbsup:

Moonracer
05-23-2006, 10:38 AM
^^^ I hear ya, it certainly can get damaged so it's whatever makes you feel comfortable really.