PDA

View Full Version : Architectural Technologies @ Sait ??

RawB8figure
05-15-2006, 09:53 AM
Anyone take this program at SAIT>

What did you think of the course.

What kind of posistion do you qualify for with this program.

What is the pay like.

civicguy2002
05-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Yeah I took this course at SAIT. It was a great program to take. You will be able to work as a designer for any home builder or Architecture firm. Depends on what you want to do. For the most part, when you first start you will be doing nothing but drawing. I have been working for about 5 years now, and am finally starting to do more than just draw. However it really depends on the company. My first job, I was doing design, site supervisor, estimating, the whole nine yards that was cause it was a smaller company. Now I am with a larger company so mainly I am doing nothing but design, slowly getting into more of the paper work side. There is a huge demand for this position right now. I was reading in the Homes section of the Herald on the weekend, that companies are paying students second year tuition if they are signing agreements to work for them after school.

Pay is alright for beginers, I started at a home builder for about $12 an hour, which was high for the home building industry, Architect firms will pay more than that. But once you work in the industry for a while, pay can really go to whatever you want, just because of the demand. If the company you are working for wont pay you what you want, someone else might. However, dont do this as a career choice cause you want good pay. If you want to be paid well, go into process piping drafting.

Otherwise, it is a great class to take, and will be a guaranteed job once you finish.

/////AMG
05-15-2006, 11:16 AM
This thread might help you:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117557&highlight=Architectural

:thumbsup:

88CRX
05-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by civicguy2002

Oh shit, didnt know you were still around.... I'm Ryan, Don's buddy from school. You did that student for a day with me way back lol.

Where are you working now?

civicguy2002
05-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Yup I am still around!!

Check your pm

Merritt
10-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by civicguy2002
Yeah I took this course at SAIT. It was a great program to take. You will be able to work as a designer for any home builder or Architecture firm. Depends on what you want to do. For the most part, when you first start you will be doing nothing but drawing. I have been working for about 5 years now, and am finally starting to do more than just draw. However it really depends on the company. My first job, I was doing design, site supervisor, estimating, the whole nine yards that was cause it was a smaller company. Now I am with a larger company so mainly I am doing nothing but design, slowly getting into more of the paper work side. There is a huge demand for this position right now. I was reading in the Homes section of the Herald on the weekend, that companies are paying students second year tuition if they are signing agreements to work for them after school.

Pay is alright for beginers, I started at a home builder for about $12 an hour, which was high for the home building industry, Architect firms will pay more than that. But once you work in the industry for a while, pay can really go to whatever you want, just because of the demand. If the company you are working for wont pay you what you want, someone else might. However, dont do this as a career choice cause you want good pay. If you want to be paid well, go into process piping drafting.

Otherwise, it is a great class to take, and will be a guaranteed job once you finish.

Hm, what's your pay like now? :D

OP, what are you doing now?

Cos
10-17-2011, 06:52 AM
We hire lots of AET's

www.stantec.com