PDA

View Full Version : stored cars...full tanks of gas or no?

spyguy
03-31-2003, 10:46 PM
Just wondering who fills up their tanks...and who doesn't

-some say add a little octane boost after the winter and you're set to go...

-some say to drain the fuel and put new stuff in....

-some say not to fill up the tank....

-some say just add a little new fuel in

just wanna see what you guys are doing and recommendations..

FiveFreshFish
03-31-2003, 10:56 PM
I stored with a full fresh tank of gas and fuel preservative. I just use the gas in the tank when it's time to take it out of storage.

If you do drain the fuel, you can use it in your lawnmower.

Weapon_R
03-31-2003, 11:10 PM
It's best to have just a little at the bottom of the tank (1/4). You don't want to drive on fuel thats 3 months old for very long, just enough to get you to the gas station. Then fill up with a fresh tank

ninjak84
03-31-2003, 11:14 PM
I stored mine with half a tank.

legendboy
03-31-2003, 11:39 PM
If your car is sitting in a heated garage all winter I say as little gas as possible, gas light on. If its outside/ unheated garage, filled to the brim.

benyl
03-31-2003, 11:44 PM
For my motorbike, they recommend full to the brim. Why? Cause the condensation that happens when things cool down cause the inside of the metal tank to rust. Rust in fuel is no good. If you have a plastic tank, it dun matter.

Fuel preservative is a good idea. You don't want the fuel to gel and gum everything up.

guitardemon
04-01-2003, 02:34 PM
its usually to fill it up if ur parking it in or out, beacuase then there is less condansation that is able to be produced then you can drain it or run it and fill with high octane after winter, take the car for a good run

spyguy
04-02-2003, 06:01 PM
bump

spyguy
04-02-2003, 11:34 PM
anyone else?

MerfBall
04-03-2003, 09:52 AM
I would check your manual, no one would no better than the manufacturer.

Like for my Accord it says to put a full tank, unplug the battery, put it in Reverse, don't set the parking brake and put blocks behind the tires

Ferio_vti
04-03-2003, 10:24 AM
If you fill it, you can buy some fuel stabilizer stuff at crappy tire to prevent the fuel from turning sour.

benyl
04-03-2003, 11:07 AM
Honeslty, the real answer to you question can only be determined if you have a metal tank or not.

If you have a metal tank, you should fill it up. That is recommended by most if not all manufacturers.

If you are worried, in the spring, drain the whole system and put fresh stuff in... it will cost you what... $50.

If you have a plastic tank, drain it completely before you store it. Put fresh stuff in when you want to drive.