PDA

View Full Version : Winnipeg.. anything worth seeing?

RickDaTuner
05-16-2006, 08:17 AM
So I'll be in Winnipeg for three possibly 4 days, at a convention, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to skip out on a few Sessions.

anything interesting to do?

I'll be staying at the Delta Winnipeg Hotel and probably wont bother renting a car?

any and all tips are welcome:thumbsup:

AllGoNoShow
05-16-2006, 09:01 AM
If your their on a Sunday, go check out cruise night on main..

Never been there before? The Forks is a big, semi big, well big for winnipeg, shopping center, lots of interesting stuff in there.

THis time of year there is always classic car shows if your into those.

sputnik
05-16-2006, 09:14 AM
If you arent renting a car there isnt much to do downtown.

Its a bit of a walk, but if you want the best burger you have ever eaten go to a little place called Mrs Mikes on Tache (in St Boniface) and order a King Burger. It on the other side of the river opposite the Forks (sort of). I think there is a little bus you can take to get there too.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Mrs.+Mikes+Winnipeg+Manitoba&om=1

Sunday cruise nights are pretty popular on Portage. Just wander up and down Portage starting around 8-9pm and watch the cars cruise by.

www.winnipegtransit.com has a NaviGo system which will tell you exactly which buses to take to get anywhere. Its pretty handy since you have no wheels.

RickDaTuner
05-16-2006, 09:19 AM
cool will defenitely Try the Burger... and the Cruise would have been cool to see but i'm only there till Friday... shucks

thanks thus far :thumbsup:

viffer
05-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Its a bit of a walk, but if you want the best burger you have ever eaten go to a little place called Mrs Mikes on Tache (in St Boniface) and order a King Burger. It on the other side of the river opposite the Forks (sort of). I think there is a little bus you can take to get there too.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Mrs.+Mikes+Winnipeg+Manitoba&om=1

+ 1 BILLION

I grew up in St B and Mrs Mikes has the best burgers, in the entire world, bar NONE. Peter's will taste like dog shit after you eat here.

Second place is Dairy Whip on Marion, which is a little further East.

sputnik
05-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by viffer

+ 1 BILLION

I grew up in St B and Mrs Mikes has the best burgers, in the entire world, bar NONE. Peter's will taste like dog shit after you eat here.

:rofl: +1 billion + 1

Yeah. Everytime my mom and sister go there the owners always ask when I am coming back to Winnipeg for a visit. I have even told them that I would buy the restaurant from them if they ever retired.

My dad passed away this March and thats where we went after the internment at the cemetary (my mom didnt want to hang out with sad family right away). I walked up to the window and before I said anything the whole family came outside and gave me a hug. Apparently they read the obituary a couple of days before. They are REALLY nice people. My dad had also been going there since the mid 70s and I first went when I was only a few weeks old.

My brother-in-law and father-in-law were with me (both hardcore Peter's fans) and they said flat out. It was the best burger they have ever eaten. I have yet to find anything that even comes CLOSE in Calgary (or ANYWHERE for that matter).

RawB8figure
05-16-2006, 09:36 AM
If your into the car sence, they usually meet at polo park mall and burger factory on portage ave.

RickDaTuner
05-16-2006, 09:37 AM
haha okay it's 9am ish and my mouth is watering haha damn... you're all making me feel like i can't get there soon enough... :eek:

viffer
05-16-2006, 01:14 PM

:rofl: +1 billion + 1

Yeah. Everytime my mom and sister go there the owners always ask when I am coming back to Winnipeg for a visit. I have even told them that I would buy the restaurant from them if they ever retired.

My dad passed away this March and thats where we went after the internment at the cemetary (my mom didnt want to hang out with sad family right away). I walked up to the window and before I said anything the whole family came outside and gave me a hug. Apparently they read the obituary a couple of days before. They are REALLY nice people. My dad had also been going there since the mid 70s and I first went when I was only a few weeks old.

My brother-in-law and father-in-law were with me (both hardcore Peter's fans) and they said flat out. It was the best burger they have ever eaten. I have yet to find anything that even comes CLOSE in Calgary (or ANYWHERE for that matter).
Sorry to hear about your dad.....funny thing though.....my uncle passed away a couple years ago, and after the funeral, we all went there too. haha. We always try to convince Steve & Nick to move out here, but so far they haven't gone for it. :dunno: ha

I've looked for anything that compares here in Calgary, but there is nothing. I've given up. I just passed through the Peg a month ago, so I got my fix until next year. :D

damn now I want one soooo bad. :rofl:

viffer
05-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Oh, and btw Rick.......to answer your original question, No, there is nothing else worth seeing in Winnipeg. :rofl:

Unless you like baseball, the Goldeyes might be in town when you are there, you might want to check that out.

Gravy_83
05-16-2006, 01:24 PM
no

RickDaTuner
05-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Oh, and btw Rick.......to answer your original question, No, there is nothing else worth seeing in Winnipeg. :rofl:

Unless you like baseball, the Goldeyes might be in town when you are there, you might want to check that out.

Originally posted by Gravy_83
no

I figured as much but thought i would ask anyway LOL

sputnik
05-16-2006, 02:55 PM

Cheap and entertaining. Canwest Global Park is really nice Lots of "stuff" to look at too.

:poosie:

sputnik
05-16-2006, 02:56 PM

Sorry to hear about your dad.....funny thing though.....my uncle passed away a couple years ago, and after the funeral, we all went there too. haha. We always try to convince Steve & Nick to move out here, but so far they haven't gone for it. :dunno: ha

I've looked for anything that compares here in Calgary, but there is nothing. I've given up. I just passed through the Peg a month ago, so I got my fix until next year. :D

damn now I want one soooo bad. :rofl:

If they moved to Calgary I think my entire family out there would be forced to relocate here as well.

Or I would just buy the restaurant in Winnipeg and move back.

sputnik
05-16-2006, 02:59 PM

I think most cities are like that (with the exception of NYC and other larger centres). Even when family comes out to visit here in Calgary there isnt really anything to do in town.

If he had a car I would suggest going to the Grand Beach or out the Whiteshell.

Its also different when you live there. Because then you can just hang out with friends or go to the states for a weekend and do some crossborder shopping in Fargo or Minneapolis.

78si
05-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Mrs. Mikes:drool: and Sunday night cruising are the only things I miss about Winterpeg.

Dren
05-16-2006, 04:35 PM

Cheap and entertaining. Canwest Global Park is really nice Lots of "stuff" to look at too.

:poosie:

YA true....Canwest is a Great way to spend a evening :)

RickDaTuner
05-16-2006, 08:49 PM
well i arrived at 6:30 today and on my ride to the hotel I pased through some of the City, and well to me it all looks like the East Village in Calgary.. run down old Hoodlums everywhere and nothing is properly developed and run down in some instances.

there are a few parts that reminded me of Mexico, after the Hurricane blew by...

haha I'm scared to leave the Hotel...:drama:

I'll be sure to have the Heavenly Burger though prolly Tom...

dub_c
05-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Winnipeg is the hood of Manitoba :rofl:

RickDaTuner
05-16-2006, 09:01 PM
oh and i saw the "Strip and Rip" will defenitly have to go and get my self some VD from that place:barf: :hitit:

EK 2.0
05-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Haunted Chruches...and some field with Crosses...supposedly some cool stories behind those...

KoukiS14
05-17-2006, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Haunted Chruches...and some field with Crosses...supposedly some cool stories behind those...

Yeah the old Monastery in St. Norbert, one of the creepiest places to be at night on foot. Went there many times during my high school years.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/hrb/prov/p031.html
http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/parks/popular_parks/st_norbert/trappist.html

Theres another one but its not coming to me right now.

loriv
05-18-2006, 11:54 AM
If you are sticking to downtown, the Forks is nice, if you are into museums, they have the museum of man and nature. Always have a lot of bands playing, Winnipeg is known for its muscians, I guess there is nothing else to do so they learn to play or sing.

Nice parks, if you are in on a Sunday evening, they always have a cruise, this goes on down Portage Avenue, classic cars etc.

former Winnipeger

RickDaTuner
05-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by loriv
If you are sticking to downtown, the Forks is nice, if you are into museums, they have the museum of man and nature. Always have a lot of bands playing, Winnipeg is known for its muscians, I guess there is nothing else to do so they learn to play or sing.

Nice parks, if you are in on a Sunday evening, they always have a cruise, this goes on down Portage Avenue, classic cars etc.

former Winnipeger

I was walking down portage last night for a while and all i heard was a bunch of fart cans drving up and down the street...

lots of civics and hondas out here, saw a white STi, but nothing special... but there is a "presence" here haha ate at Junoirs burger place yesterday, and wasnt very impressed, hopefully mikes will be better tonight!

thanks for the tips everyone mabey I'll take some pictures tomm before i head back to calgary:thumbsup:

78si
05-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Teasers -> Its close to Mrs Mikes--lol-- I forget the address:thumbsup:

RickDaTuner
05-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by 78si
Teasers -> Its close to Mrs Mikes--lol-- I forget the address:thumbsup:

haha yeah dood thats cool, my last post was only to poke fun at the name... haha The Strip and Rip... strip clubs were so Highschool... haha
Thanks anyway

But i did manage to Find Mr Mikes, just a little stand on the side of the street eh... but well the Verdict is in and all the Rumors/reviews are true... THIS BURGER ROCKS!!!!! i had the single King burger and the double cheese (had to try as many as I could lol) pretty darn good and the people are so Friendly too, are they Russian?

if i ever come back to the "peg" I'll make sure to stop by again..
:thumbsup:

Dren
05-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by loriv

former Winnipeger

Soo much fun, on sunday nights :) they want to add speed bumps i heard on portage

sputnik
05-24-2006, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
But i did manage to Find Mr Mikes, just a little stand on the side of the street eh... but well the Verdict is in and all the Rumors/reviews are true... THIS BURGER ROCKS!!!!! i had the single King burger and the double cheese (had to try as many as I could lol) pretty darn good and the people are so Friendly too, are they Russian?

if i ever come back to the "peg" I'll make sure to stop by again.. :thumbsup:

Heh. I dont lie. That place is incredible. They are a Greek family. In fact they close down from Christmas to mid-March because the entire family vacations in Greece. They are super nice people.

Glad you tried the King Burger (even if it just was a single). Next time you are there try the chili dog. Its equally as amazing. Sometimes when I am feeling adventurous I will have a single king and a dog with an order of fries.

Anyhow. The only thing that sucks for you know. Is that you will remember how good that burger is as you try and choke down a sub-standard local burger.

A790
05-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

anything interesting to do?

Not really, no.

Tik-Tok
05-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by A790

Not really, no.

Agreed. My favorite thing in winnipeg was the sign "you are now leaving winnipeg"

Donmega
05-25-2006, 12:10 AM
you can go to the mint factory

i was tricked by my parents in thinking im going to some candy factory....instead it was an organized tour of how money is made....bla bla bla....but if u like that stuff, then theres ur source of entertainment right there.

heavyD
05-25-2006, 10:34 AM
They used to have one of the best stripclub scenes outside of Montreal but I don't know if it has eroded like the Calgary scene.:dunno: