PDA

View Full Version : Sony gets PWNED.

Xaroxantu Zero
05-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Never do anything stupid, especially when there are reporters around. xD

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/05/blu-ray_dvd.jpg

Who'd you think you were fooling, Sony? You go throw some big huge party celebrating the 10 year birthday of the Vaio and the launch of the Vaio UX Micro PC and your new flagship Blu-ray playing AR series 17-inch powerhouse laptop, replete with demo of early Blu-ray title House of Flying Daggers. And then you get done caught red-handed by a meddling reporter who discovered the Blu-ray playback is actually coming straight off a typical, normal old DVD+R. It's a sham, Sony, the whole thing's a sham! How are you gonna make a case for your laptop -- let alone Blu-ray as a format -- now that you tried to pawn off a DVD as a Blu-ray tech demo to a room full of industry professionals? We hope at least it was playing back a high def trailer, or something; now go to your room, you're gonna have some serious alone time, little mister.

Source: Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/16/sony-throws-party-for-vaios-fakes-blu-ray-demo/)

motion
05-16-2006, 03:13 PM
:dunno: :dunno:

heavyD
05-16-2006, 03:17 PM
I have no respect for Sony. They are liars plain & simple and their whole blu-ray thing is turning into a debacle. It's forcing the PS3 into a complete new console price range as well as delays (that & the fact that developers are having problems programming for the cell processor).

Sony sucks.:thumbsdow

Seanith
05-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Caught red handed :thumbsdow

ZEDGE
05-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Fuck Sony.

toyboy88
05-16-2006, 04:40 PM
BOO.

/////AMG
05-16-2006, 04:43 PM
For all we know he could have switched dics, but Sony has been telling alot of lies lately! :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

HoisinSauce
05-16-2006, 04:54 PM
thats pretty hurt

CustumRydz
05-16-2006, 04:57 PM
welle everyone knows that the Ps3 is gonna be the Ps2 in a new shell:whipped:

sputnik
05-17-2006, 07:10 AM
It looks like the article was updated.

Update: To be honest, we never thought this one would take off the way it has, but it looks like we underestimated the forensic skills of the collective. The latest word is that someone claiming to be from Sony has posted a comment on Gearlog saying that there were two laptops, one with the DVD-R of "House of Flying Daggers," and the other with the Blu-ray version, so that folks could make a side-by-side comparison. Gearlog's reporter apparently popped the latch on the DVD version, and didn't check the Blu-ray one. We have no way to independently verify this version (or Gearlog's original take), though Notebook Review does have some pics clearly showing two laptops on display at the Sony shindig. All of this leads us to one conclusion: Next time, Sony should just invite us to their parties, and we'll get it straight. And we may even like the tinfoil-flavored cake, too.

Despair*
05-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Wow, so many people ready to jump the gun with and crucify sony's new ps3 with all these new and recent developements. Personally I don't really care about the way they go about buisness. Being a game fan I play for the games released and not just the system alone. People should wait until the full story is told and the system is released before they condemn it.

rage2
05-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Despair*
Wow, so many people ready to jump the gun with and crucify sony's new ps3 with all these new and recent developements. Personally I don't really care about the way they go about buisness. Being a game fan I play for the games released and not just the system alone. People should wait until the full story is told and the system is released before they condemn it.
Sony did make some huge mistakes with the PS3. Blu-Ray would be at the top of the list and it's anything but recent. Blu-Ray's been having tons of problems from the design side (still unfinished specs on security) all the way to the manufacturing side with low yield rates (which jacks up cost significantly). This has been the case for a year or two now and Sony continued to march on with PS3 and blu-ray. I really hope blu-ray doesn't sink PS3 even before launch, but it sure is looking like it.

With this announcement, it clearly shows that blu-ray is still vapourware or betaware and the PS3 will suffer if there are more delays. In the meantime, I'm watching HD-DVD at home now after picking up a player from Future Shop.

Despair*
05-17-2006, 10:45 AM
^ By recent developments I probably should clarified a bit better what I meant. Its not only the blue ray issues that have been going on for a long while as you have mentioned here and in other threads. I was also meaning alot of newer information released such as the pricing, non dual shock controller, the stripped down budget version of the console etc and other various things that have seemed to turn alot of people off on the system and spark alot of debate.

I'm hoping along with you that the system survives its shaky beginnings and that Sony can get there act together. Right now all I can think about is getting my hands on the next installment in the Metal Gear Series and seeing how things end for Snake! :drool:

Xtrema
05-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Take it with a grain of salt:

My wife's uncle works for GE Plastics Development and has been involved in the creation of the plastic composite that will make up the Blu-Ray (along with 2-3 competing companies). He told me about a month ago that tjhey just had their first really promising batch of discs that they were subjecting to torture tests (typical usage scratches, UV bombardment, etc.) and he indicated that he would be falling on the floor shocked if Blu-Ray made it to market by XMas 2006.

asuth077
05-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by rage2

In the meantime, I'm watching HD-DVD at home now after picking up a player from Future Shop.

How is the quality on it? Worth the $700 bucks? I was thinking of picking one up but not sure if I should wait for the price break.

If the 360 could play hd-dvds that would make life simple.

heavyD
05-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by asuth077
If the 360 could play hd-dvds that would make life simple.

It will in the fall with the add-on player that was shown at E3.

asuth077
05-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

It will in the fall with the add-on player that was shown at E3.

Thanks for the info!

That will be great if it is priced decently.

Xaroxantu Zero
05-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
It looks like the article was updated.

It's still makes you wonder why Sony wouldn't just use a commercial copy DVD instead of a DVD-R.

GQBalla
05-17-2006, 01:12 PM
LOL sony got pwned...

heavyD
05-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Xaroxantu Zero

It's still makes you wonder why Sony wouldn't just use a commercial copy DVD instead of a DVD-R.

That's what I was thinking. Something still stinks.

rage2
05-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by asuth077
How is the quality on it? Worth the $700 bucks? I was thinking of picking one up but not sure if I should wait for the price break.
If you have HD movies on satellite, don't bother with HD-DVD yet. The differences is subtle, mostly no macroblocking on high action sequences. However, if you have a projector with a screen over 70", the difference is dramatic.

Xtrema
05-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Xaroxantu Zero

May be it's a showcase of how easy the old DVD are pirated?

Or they downcovert DVD9 to DVD4 so the difference is more dramatic.

Sony = Scam

HyperZell
05-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

May be it's a showcase of how easy the old DVD are pirated?

Or they downcovert DVD9 to DVD4 so the difference is more dramatic.

Sony = Scam

Even if they decided to use a DVD-R instead of an original DVD, why wouldn't they use one of their own blank DVD's? That's pretty dumb - let's use Verbatim's product instead of our own!

Xtrema
05-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Even if they decided to use a DVD-R instead of an original DVD, why wouldn't they use one of their own blank DVD's? That's pretty dumb - let's use Verbatim's product instead of our own!

Probably didn't expect nosey people to hit the eject button. And the convention center doesn't carry Sony brand DVDs. :rofl: