PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Standard (Manual)

Dren
05-17-2006, 07:04 AM
Anyone have any Suggestions of how to best explain learning a standard. Im teaching a friend, and they want to know if there is like online video's that can be downloaded to watch. they are having a hard time of getting the car moving from a light(stop sign)...the whole thing about..as the left foot goes up, the right goes down. they are always releasing, or pushing one down too fast.

thanks !

/////AMG
05-17-2006, 07:25 AM
I personally think should learn from a proper driving teacher, go to a driving school
There already too many people who don't know how to drive properly.

Fcuk
05-17-2006, 07:36 AM
i had problems with that for a few min too, just tell them they are releasing the clutch too fast... problem fixed.

A_3
05-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Clutch --------> Shift ------------> Gas...

For me it was all practise. I bought my first standard car, drove it around my nieghborhood for an hour practising first flat starts, then hills. After that I felt good behind the wheel, in the first couple days I would stall her from time to time, and I would purposely avoid hills during traffic hours. After that it became second nature.

shakalaka
05-17-2006, 07:39 AM
Well its quite simple really. The procedure is really really simple, all it takes is practice. Tell them to keep on practicing what they are doing and eventually they'll get it.

Mitsu3000gt
05-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Teach them the basic mechanics of it, that way, they can relate their mistakes and/or smooth shifts to exactly whats happening and they know why they either did well or poorly. That being said, they can also correct their mistakes and learn to shift better/smoother if they understand how the mechanics of it work.

Drive the car first yourself so you know how it behaves (if the clutch engages right off the floor or almost at the end of the travel or whatever) then you can help them better.

Other things I tell people, incase they don't know, is that the clutch is more less your "safety switch" for when the car is about to stall, jumping forward, or whatever you happen to be making it do because your bad with a standard. Press in the clutch and it all calms down.

Also tell them not to hold in the clutch and leave it in gear at a stop light as this is hard on the throw out bearing.

If their not fast, teach them the e-brake trick on hills as it probably will help them until they get more used to it.

Lastly people always want to know what RPM to shift at, so explain that to them and also tell them its like their bike, its hard to start pedaling in a really high gear, and is just as hard for your motor to turn it, so you don't cruise along at 40 km/h in 6th gear. Nor obviously do you want to be crusing along at 6000rpm.

Take them to a big parking lot or something and most people can learn within about an hour. I think most "professional" teaching places like driving schools are a joke because its so easy to teach yourself. Once their good at the basics, teach them to match the rpm for a smooth downshift if they are comfortable.

Hope this helps,

Mark

R!zz0
05-17-2006, 02:35 PM
tell him to buy a cheap $100.00 or $200.00 car and learn in it. this way he can burn the clutch and no one will give a fuck. Once he becomes an expert, donate the car to the kidney foundation and they will give you a coupon for pizza at boston pizza and take us all out for pizza.

kaput
05-17-2006, 02:43 PM

BlueFrenzy
05-17-2006, 06:36 PM
You can also get your friend to check out www.standardshift.com

They have some videos there on shifting plus driving techniques (heel toe, etc) and a forum devoted to entirely standard transmission.

I guess another site that's pretty good on driving in general is www.turnfast.com.

Heck, everybody should read that site (like the idiot who hit and run my car while I was parked in an EMPTY Safeway parking lot)

Supa Dexta
05-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Go find a hill and get them to hold the car at a certain point first off... you just man the e brake.. then get them to take off while on a hill... thats the hardest part, once you get that your on your way..

M_K_3
05-17-2006, 06:48 PM
let go of the clutch really slow and gas thats about it just practice alot

hash
05-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Teach them the basic mechanics of it, that way, they can relate their mistakes and/or smooth shifts to exactly whats happening and they know why they either did well or poorly. That being said, they can also correct their mistakes and learn to shift better/smoother if they understand how the mechanics of it work.

:werd: :werd: :werd:

that helped me a lot when i was learning

Supa Dexta
05-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Did everyone actually get taught? as in have someone sit down and go thru it with you? I never actually did, not sure why.. I guess just growing up on the farm, you learn.. tractors, dirtbikes.. etc.. then when it came time to drive a car I just did it.. Sometimes nowadays I get tired of it, and almost want an autotragic... :nut:

frostyda9
05-17-2006, 07:18 PM
I had a really laid back buddy in high school who would let me borrow his car whenever he didn't need it...I just practiced lots. In the end lots of practice is all you need.

-Jay21-
05-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Growing up in England where nearly all the cars are manual (Only the new ones are auto now) I took to it like a duck to water, took me 10 minutes to be able to drive around slowly but knowing what I was doing, I did stall a few times and stuff like that, but everyone does that.
I had the advantage of having driven quite a few dirt/road bikes when I was younger, so it was the same thing just using different controls.

Chester
05-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Did everyone actually get taught? as in have someone sit down and go thru it with you? I never actually did, not sure why.. I guess just growing up on the farm, you learn.. tractors, dirtbikes.. etc.. then when it came time to drive a car I just did it.. Sometimes nowadays I get tired of it, and almost want an autotragic... :nut:

My dad sorta taught me, didn't take me very long because:
a) He taught me how everything worked
b) He would yell at my ass for screwing up haha

Accord_tunerx
05-17-2006, 08:34 PM
easy jsut bring them down to rush hour
and be like if you fuck up my car your paying for it!
i hate friends...:guns:

HiSpec
05-18-2006, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Accord_tunerx
easy jsut bring them down to rush hour
and be like if you fuck up my car your paying for it!
i hate friends...:guns:

don't u just love pressure learning haha

Accord_tunerx
05-18-2006, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec

don't u just love pressure learning haha

lol...i just RODE the clutch like no one business :rofl: every second just clutch --gas then just balance it out...but its all good! i am pro star ahha jokgin

Zephyr
05-18-2006, 01:44 AM
I taught my exs on my S13.

My method, seems to work fast enough so far:
1. Pull up ebrake, sit on passenger side.
2. Tell them to play with the clutch to get use to the feeling of the pedal at all levels.
3. With the car on and ebrake still up tell them to slowly release the clutch and not worry about anything else and to stop releasing the pedal when the engine begins to die. If engine dies, redo again.
4. Repeat 3 with ebrake off so they can see engagement point.
5. Let them move the car without gas, feather the clutch.
6. Add a little gas.

i think everyone is too nervous to let the engine stall, just remove the fear of stalling to concentrate on moving...

of course you can do the yelling method LOL
"you're stupid! why can't you get this to move?!"

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-18-2006, 02:26 AM
i bought my car... got it to my place... and drive around my enighborhood teaching myself for the next 2 or 3 days... sure i stalled alot... and it was a lil rough and jumpy at the start... but i do fine now (less than 2 months later :rofl: )

Dren
05-18-2006, 07:10 AM
:thumbsup:

nonsane
05-18-2006, 08:06 AM
Teach them how to use the clutch WITHOUT pressing the gas first, then they'll get then hang of it

Release, to where it starts to get friction, release it about 1 cm more, then let go

This way they learn how to feel where the clutch is first, and the rest of it comes alot easier.

The easiest way to learn to drive MT is in a diesel(they are really hard to stall :D)

And don't make a big deal of stalling it, i still stall maybe once a month at a light and i've been driving for a while.

iblizzard
05-18-2006, 11:12 AM
I was forced to learn really quick. I didn't have a car with a manual transmission to learn on, but I got a job delivering for AutoValue which required me to drive all day long in a car with a manual transmission. I showed up on Monday for my first day of work got in the piece of crap civic and was a pro by the time i went home. :)
Helped a lot that the car was absolute crap and I didn't care if I damaged it.

89coupe
05-18-2006, 01:25 PM
What I find funny as hell is the guys who "think" they can drive but really can't...LOL.

\JCAR/
05-18-2006, 01:40 PM
yikes i was making that noise between gears did it a couple of times not alot

Dren
05-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
What I find funny as hell is the guys who "think" they can drive but really can't...LOL.

Lol , true. they are next to you at a lights, they rolling back and forth..the light goes Green...they Stall the car !

Bill Cosby
05-18-2006, 03:42 PM
haha one time i was being cocky at a light and accidently stalled god i was so embarassed, cot damn!

Dren
05-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by nonsane
Teach them how to use the clutch WITHOUT pressing the gas first, then they'll get then hang of it

Release, to where it starts to get friction, release it about 1 cm more, then let go

This way they learn how to feel where the clutch is first, and the rest of it comes alot easier.

The easiest way to learn to drive MT is in a diesel(they are really hard to stall :D)

And don't make a big deal of stalling it, i still stall maybe once a month at a light and i've been driving for a while.

Nice ! ..Thanks using the clutch and getting a feel for it is the best tip.

GTS Jeff
05-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by nonsane
Teach them how to use the clutch WITHOUT pressing the gas first, then they'll get then hang of it Yup.

guessboi
05-24-2006, 03:56 PM
too many people step on the gas way too much when they move from a stop. :werd:

Dren
05-30-2006, 12:13 AM
some ppl just can't drive a standard, today actually, at dairy queen a guy in a 06 accord pulled into a spot right in front of the store, the spot sloped downwards towards the store. we were outside eatting, and the guy spent like 15 mins at least tryin to back up. moved up, hit curb,or stalled it while in reverse. we were all thinkin to ourselves. useeee hand brake. !

Dren
09-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by BlueFrenzy
You can also get your friend to check out www.standardshift.com

)

Good Site ! :thumbsup: