PDA

View Full Version : how reliable are 240sx's?

Dooms_Bane
05-17-2006, 11:10 AM
1995-1998
nissan 240sx
how reliable are these cars?
just wondering
i was planning to get one then getting a S15 conversion

and maybe twin turbo it?
i heard i can get a stock turbo with this car? i'm not to sure? is it possible?

will the engine last long is will it die out? and force me to get a sr20det? :)

mshaw
05-17-2006, 11:14 AM
just swap in the rb26dett, problem solved

Dooms_Bane
05-17-2006, 11:18 AM
don't got the money for the swap yet
so was wondering how long it would last or allow me to save some cash up :)

and i was wondering how reliable it is to like how often i should change things or when other pieces start breaking down
IE: timing belt,filters plugs all that...

hope it's not like the sunfire which i believe it's not but i hear that thing breaks down pretty fast

ex1z7
05-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Things break down when you twin turbo a 4 cylinder 2.4 litre.

Look in the service manual for replacement intervals .. but timing belts and such should be what, every 90,000 km? Or if it looks bad.

And no, 240sx's are NOTHING like Sunfires. Plus, if /anything/ breaks, you can get aftermarket replacements that wont break (if you get the right ones, not ebay specials :P)

The 240sx between 89-98 never came turbo in America.

You can get a KA24DE bolt on turbo kit at about 7-8 psi, which is about what these engines can handle before you have to do a bit of internal work just-to-be-safe etc. If you tune it right it wont break on you for quite some time.

Saving for a swap while driving a boosted KA24..? Do one or the other so you aren't just pissing money away .. boost the ka to safe levels then when you get the money, build it up. it isn't as if KA24's are hard to find or anything.

oh and.. www.carsurvey.org is good for basic info on cars and how people like 'em.

vietdood
05-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by ex1z7
Things break down when you twin turbo a 4 cylinder 2.4 litre.

Look in the service manual for replacement intervals .. but timing belts and such should be what, every 90,000 km? Or if it looks bad.

And no, 240sx's are NOTHING like Sunfires. Plus, if /anything/ breaks, you can get aftermarket replacements that wont break (if you get the right ones, not ebay specials :P)

The 240sx between 89-98 never came turbo in America.

You can get a KA24DE bolt on turbo kit at about 7-8 psi, which is about what these engines can handle before you have to do a bit of internal work just-to-be-safe etc. If you tune it right it wont break on you for quite some time.

Saving for a swap while driving a boosted KA24..? Do one or the other so you aren't just pissing money away .. boost the ka to safe levels then when you get the money, build it up. it isn't as if KA24's are hard to find or anything.

oh and.. www.carsurvey.org is good for basic info on cars and how people like 'em.

ka24de doesn't use timing belts, it uses chains and you don't HAVE to replace them but people do change them around 200000km.

ka24det can handle alot more then 7-8 psi. stock internals are good up to 400whp until things go wrong. however there is someone on ka-t.org that hit over 500whp on stock internals.

pissing away money? everything that deals with a car is pissing away money, unless you buy cars like an enzo where they actually go up in value.

Dooms_Bane
05-17-2006, 02:39 PM
awesome

thanks for the help :) guess now i know what i do

how much HP can you get with 7-8psi on the ka24?

vietdood
05-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Dooms_Bane
awesome

thanks for the help :) guess now i know what i do

how much HP can you get with 7-8psi on the ka24?

on my setup with a t3/t04e @ 7psi i shouldn't be making any less then 250whp from what i've seen with identical setups.

blue Zed
05-17-2006, 03:14 PM
I have friend who has a turbo on 12psi and got 305 whp 288 tq

Dooms_Bane
05-17-2006, 08:33 PM
oh very nice. i was just hoping for aboue 210whp :D
thanks guy i'll work on it :D

maybe this year Hopefully late summer

Anton
05-17-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm thinking the 12psi guy's car won't hold up for long but I could be wrong.

I have read about the 500whp on stock internals but I don't remember what psi he was pushing but I wouldn't recomend anything as high as 12 psi on stock internals on a regular KA especially if you are asking if it's reliable.

On a side note, don't do an S15 front end, a 97,98 S14 like what Vietdood has looks a LOT better because the lines flow better on it (well because it was designed to be that way). But thats just my opinion.

n1zm0
05-17-2006, 09:53 PM
I believe the record for stock internals sits at 5hun something for KA-T. 718whp (http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/175547) with internals ;) .

Originally posted by Anton

On a side note, don't do an S15 front end, a 97,98 S14 like what Vietdood has looks a LOT better because the lines flow better on it (well because it was designed to be that way). But thats just my opinion.

if you buy a 97-98 keep the front end like they^ said, but if you find a 95 or something i think S15 front looks way better on S14's than doing it on an S13.. besides from the rearview mirror, S15 front would look tite pulling up :D

Dooms_Bane
05-18-2006, 12:23 AM
http://www.grounddynamics.com/Merchant/89-99n240s15n1c-b.jpg
i kinda saw this and fell inlove :)
so i think i might just go with the S15
not to sure what year that car in the picture is but hell it's nice!!!

http://www.grounddynamics.com/Merchant/89-99n240s15vc-b.jpg
this one is ok i like the first one better tho :)

i think i might try 7psi little scared to blow the engine.. but i'll ask around to see how i should maintain the engine
maybe change the stock internals to if i get the time before i upgrade the turbo :)

gonna be a sweet summer car... if not i'll have to try and get it during winter then have it for next summer :)

Zephyr
05-18-2006, 01:46 AM
Go find a car first and worry about boost later. These things are fun enough without boost. Get a set of coils, LSD and a set of tires and go to some drift pratice event and have fun. Worry about boost and cosmetics later...

Dooms_Bane
05-18-2006, 02:57 PM
ooo poor orange :( bad banana hahaha thats hilarious

anyhow whats LSD? :dunno: i am ultra noobie haha

oh well i'm just trying to learn as much as possible but the first thing i'm gonna do is
suspension for sure then rims
then whichever happens to fall in next :)

Boost Infested
05-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Can i have your KA when u do your swap?

Lo)2enz0
05-18-2006, 04:10 PM
ha ha ha, i saw reliable and 240sx in the same sentence

i am getting all up to par on my car and than she is gone by the end of the summer. so someone can enjoy my car doing good.

Dooms_Bane
05-18-2006, 06:31 PM
that won't be till like next year or 2 years or so

Originally posted by Boost Infested
Can i have your KA when u do your swap?

gotta gather alot of info before i try something stupid :)

Anton
05-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Dooms_Bane
anyhow whats LSD? :dunno: i am ultra noobie haha

Limited Slip Differential. Stops your tires from spinning (takes away power from 'em) if they loose traction.

Zephyr
05-19-2006, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Anton

Limited Slip Differential. Stops your tires from spinning (takes away power from 'em) if they loose traction.

Um...that doesn't sound quite too right...I think..

turab16
05-19-2006, 03:00 AM
just buy the bootyful 240sx and you won't regret a bit!

And maybe then you will know what the whole craze is abt?

Anton
05-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr

Um...that doesn't sound quite too right...I think..

Thats what I thought it was...might be mistaken...will edit this post once I find the answer on Google!

Attempt number 1 at Google...Typed in LSD.

Answer: LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide). A drug, mood changing chemical.

Not sure thats right...

Edit #2: Ahh here we go

A Limited Slip Differential (LSD) is a modified or derived type of differential gear arrangement that allows for some difference in rotational velocity of the output shafts, but does not allow the difference in speed to increase beyond a preset amount. In an automobile, such limited slip differentials are sometimes used in place of a standard differential, where they convey certain dynamic advantages, at the expense of greater complexity.

The main advantage of a limited slip differential is found by considering the case of a standard differential where one wheel has no contact with the ground at all. In such a case, the contacting wheel will remain stationary, and the non-contacting wheel will rotate at twice its intended velocity – the torque transmitted will be zero and the vehicle will remain stationary. In everyday use on typical roads, such a situation is very unlikely, and so a normal differential suffices. For more demanding use however, such as driving off-road, or for high performance vehicles, such a state of affairs is undesirable, and the LSD can be employed to deal with it. By limiting the velocity difference between a pair of driven wheels, useful torque can be transmitted as long as there is some friction available on at least one of the wheels.

However, when a car is cornering close to it's limit, the car will exhibit roll, a leaning to one side, causing the inside tires to lose forward traction and lateral grip. The wheels lift and cause excessive spin because of lack of downward force or weight distribution. This wheel spin is useless for acceleration until the tires regain traction and start to translate the power to the ground.

An LSD is used to alleviate this wheelspin.

I was right, just didn't elaborate on it. Lol, I was scared I messed up...

Genjuro
05-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by turab16
just buy the bootyful 240sx and you won't regret a bit!

And maybe then you will know what the whole craze is abt?

lol easier said than done. do you have any idea how hard it is to find a decently priced and condition 95-98 240sx now adays? i've been looking this whole year! anyone find one PLEASE PM ME

habsfan
05-19-2006, 06:38 PM
to put it simply, a limited slip diff allow power transfer to go to both left and right side wheels in corners or in conditions where your wheels are spinning. drifting for example.

turab16
05-19-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Genjuro

lol easier said than done. do you have any idea how hard it is to find a decently priced and condition 95-98 240sx now adays? i've been looking this whole year! anyone find one PLEASE PM ME

Word up bro!
its a bitch to find a nice one........ :(

Dooms_Bane
05-24-2006, 09:12 AM
ya i don't think i'm gonna find one :(
ebay looks nce tho but it's all like in the united states and shipping is about 1700 :(

Lo)2enz0
05-24-2006, 09:44 AM
what are you guys talking about, i have seen 95's and 96's going for $8000ish which is alot cheaper than what they were priced 4 years ago.

and finding 97-98's has always been hard and they are higher in value. but whats wrong with s13's?

andres_mt
05-24-2006, 09:49 AM
I just sold my 95 for 5000ish, but that's cause it was auto.

Dooms, if you want the carbon fiber hood once your doing your S14.5 conversion then let me know cause I have one for sale.

Genjuro
05-24-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
what are you guys talking about, i have seen 95's and 96's going for $8000ish which is alot cheaper than what they were priced 4 years ago.

and finding 97-98's has always been hard and they are higher in value. but whats wrong with s13's?

yeah i've seen a couple last month for about 8G but were sold before i called them... still rare to find though man....
rather have the s14 cause like i said... uncommon, rare.

ex1z7
05-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by vietdood

ka24de doesn't use timing belts, it uses chains and you don't HAVE to replace them but people do change them around 200000km.

ka24det can handle alot more then 7-8 psi. stock internals are good up to 400whp until things go wrong. however there is someone on ka-t.org that hit over 500whp on stock internals.

pissing away money? everything that deals with a car is pissing away money, unless you buy cars like an enzo where they actually go up in value.

I was speaking generally to look in the service manual to see when things such as timing belts/chains should be replaced. I knew they were timing chains too .. I've been thinking about belts cus my honda needs a new timing belt soon.

Yes, I agree the KA24 can take more then 8 psi, it can take quite alot more, if you tune it perfectly, but he wants reliable power and 7 psi is reliable. too much after that on an anything less then perfect tune and supporting modifications and his engine will go pop.

And what I meant by pissing away money is, to boost his KA24 will cost roughly 3 or 4 thousand dollars, and getting an SR20 and everything he needs for it and such, will cost about 4-5 thousand, if he wants to go boost, then boosting 2 engines will cost double then boosting one, so either go KA24DET or SR20DET, not both.

n1zm0
05-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by ex1z7
if he wants to go boost, then boosting 2 engines will cost double then boosting one, so either go KA24DET or SR20DET, not both

lol most confusing post ever,

anyways if i were you I'd research before you pick either.. there are plenty of ppl here with SR's and a handfull of KAT's you could question..

ex1z7
05-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

lol most confusing post ever,

anyways if i were you I'd research before you pick either.. there are plenty of ppl here with SR's and a handfull of KAT's you could question..

How about you re-read the thread starters original post and then tell me that was confusing. Thanks for coming out. He's wants to turbo a KA then go SR20 later if it doesn't last. Which it wont if he doesn't build it. Not for long anyways.

He wants to go SR20 but also wants to go KA24DET, and doesn't know which to go for. Cost to performance ratio is in his mind. Same with reliability.

IMO, build the KA24 to handle the boost you want, and to get the performance you want. KA24's are easier to find then SR20's in Calgary, and if you want to get good power, you'll end up building whatever engine you have to handle /more/ power down the road. I'd say just build a KA24 into a turbo screamer, forget the SR20.

n1zm0
05-24-2006, 06:58 PM
^ yeh well I just didnt take the time to read all of it.. because once again from reliable + 240sx as it was originally, its become the inevitable KA vs SR thread.. just can't get enough of it :D