PDA

View Full Version : Took the car out to the track!

ron korolak
05-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Took the car out to the track last weekend for Bracket racing. Just trying some low boost pulls to shake out the bugs from the new "raod racing" setup. To my suprise even on low boost 26 Psi and a very conservative tune and huge bog off the line the car still trapped 137Mph and ran 11.5, and on my last run when my clutch finnally packed it in the car ran 108Mph in the 1/8th and coasted to a 11.3 @ 100Mph! Can't wait to get the new clutch in and start leaning on this thing.

RUQUIKR
05-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by ron korolak
To my suprise even on low boost 26 Psi

lmao, Good work Ron, low boost eh? Maybe for that monster!

illeagle
05-17-2006, 08:14 PM
26 psi!?, is the turbo the size of an apple?:rofl: Nice number's!:thumbsup:

Teggy2nr
05-17-2006, 08:34 PM
do I sense a de-throaning of z-fan this summer for the fastest sportcompact

RotaryDrifter
05-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Teggy2nr

i think i do too....AWD launches OwNzZzz!!:eek:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/files/2/2/7/4/2274richg_small-med.jpg

gp36912
05-17-2006, 09:15 PM
26 psi is low????? wow, and here i was thinking 20 psi is high for most cars.

ron korolak
05-18-2006, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by RotaryDrifter

i think i do too....AWD launches OwNzZzz!!:eek:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/files/2/2/7/4/2274richg_small-med.jpg

The worst thing is I haven't got a good launch out of it yet except the pass my clutch let go. I would love to cut 1.5 60' this year on my 18" street tires.

95EagleAWD
05-18-2006, 04:12 PM
I gotta ask Ron...

Why are you running 18s on that car?

Throw some DOT radials on 16s... Unsprung weight is terrible.

Just a thought. Obviously, you know what you're doing, but just thought I'd ask.

ron korolak
05-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Its called "Fast with Class". I could strip the car down to nothing and pick up huge time to, but I know I can daily drive the car, put it in a car show like SCN on Saterday, then race the car Sunday without ever changing tires or taking anything in or out of the car.

95EagleAWD
05-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Its called "Fast with Class". I could strip the car down to nothing and pick up huge time to, but I know I can daily drive the car, put it in a car show like SCN on Saterday, then race the car Sunday without ever changing tires or taking anything in or out of the car.

Exactly what I figured.

:thumbsup:

ron korolak
05-18-2006, 10:17 PM
You drive a NSX you should no a thing or two about it!

smontyLS1
05-18-2006, 10:20 PM
so what psi is "high" for you ron?

ron korolak
05-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Well I hope to run around 40ish later this year and the turbo I'm running dosn't come into its efficency range till 30-35Psi. So basically I'm not even in to the power band yet and so far I have been picking up over a 1Mph per PSI so I hope to run in the high 140's-low 150's this year no spray. Then bring out the 100 shot!

habsfan
05-18-2006, 11:44 PM
you, sir...are a damned lunatic...i think someone needs to shoot a vid or two of your trips down the strip so i can see that beast

Anton
05-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Well I hope to run around 40ish later this year and the turbo I'm running dosn't come into its efficency range till 30-35Psi. So basically I'm not even in to the power band yet and so far I have been picking up over a 1Mph per PSI so I hope to run in the high 140's-low 150's this year no spray. Then bring out the 100 shot!

Is it just me or did anyone else pee themselves a little too???

Z_Fan
05-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Teggy2nr

Yup. No way in hell I can keep up to that beast.

Ron's car will be far and away the fastest car on the Top 10 list. Just my thoughts, but he'll likely be the only one in the 10's and maybe he'll run a 9.

I figure at best there will be 3-4 cars in the 11's. Nothing in the 10's. So, Ron's car is really in a class all by itself.

ron korolak
05-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the kind words Shawn, but if people only new all the hard work and blood sweat and tears, not to mention money that goes in to building a fast street. I have been struggling to get this car really running right for several years now, and it looks like things are finally starting to come around for me. I have to admit I am jealous of seeing you drive the Z from Calgary to Edmonton then race.:thumbsup: I still drive the car on the street but always trailer to races just in case something breaks, and to get to this point lots of things have broke along the way.:( Should be an exciting year if I can ever get away from work long enough to enjoy all this nice weather. Hopefully after June I well have enough time to get back to the track and get the car dialed in. Just trying to get the car to launch with my new found traction is a mission in itself, and something that can't be setup on the street before hand. I hope to get out to some road racing events this year, that well be my main focus with the car, I'm sure setting up the suspension and handling well not be easy, but I look forward to the challenge!:guns:

Ben
05-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Ron, I was the photographer for SCN, and misplaced your card.

I have those photos you were looking for.

Hot car!!!!!!!

ron korolak
05-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Ron, I was the photographer for SCN, and misplaced your card.

I have those photos you were looking for.

Hot car!!!!!!!

Great Ben my email is [email protected] if you wouldn't mind sending me what you have since my camera is a piece of s#%t! Thanks Ron

tsi_neal
05-20-2006, 04:46 PM
... I hope to get out to some road racing events this year, that well be my main focus with the car, I'm sure setting up the suspension and handling well not be easy, but I look forward to the challenge!:guns:

Welcome to the other side (hopefully) Before you know it youll be putting a smaller more responsive turbo on there and have 10x more fun than you ever did drag racing :poosie:

A790
05-20-2006, 07:14 PM
W/E man, dragging is where its at!

ron korolak
05-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal

Welcome to the other side (hopefully) Before you know it youll be putting a smaller more responsive turbo on there and have 10x more fun than you ever did drag racing :poosie:

You would be suprised how responsive this car is on the street with the custom gearing, and stroker and tune. But we well see once I get the car on the track, I'm a little worried about the front staight at Race City might be a little scarry braking from 180Mph!

R!zz0
05-20-2006, 08:25 PM
good run :thumbsup:

tsi_neal
05-20-2006, 11:28 PM

You would be suprised how responsive this car is on the street with the custom gearing, and stroker and tune. But we well see once I get the car on the track, I'm a little worried about the front staight at Race City might be a little scarry braking from 180Mph!

You say that now, but if you get drag racing out of your blood youll be dreaming of insta-boost

i wouldnt be scared of the front strait... just find find your braking point...

ron korolak
05-21-2006, 12:37 AM
I'm not scared sitting behind my computer either but miss your breaking point at that speed and I bet you and anyone else would be scared.

tsi_neal
05-21-2006, 06:02 AM
I'm not scared sitting behind my computer either but miss your breaking point at that speed and I bet you and anyone else would be scared.

Im hitting 155mph at the end of the front straight, i was in the same boat as you before i had the new car on the track but after about 2 laps no problem. Yea its a far cry from 180mph but corner one is a good learning corner that you can take far faster than most people think and by the time your hitting it with no room for mistake youll be confident enough in your driving that you just wont miss the breaking point. I hope you do eventually make it out.

ron korolak
05-21-2006, 07:28 AM
For sure! I'm assuming you have your licence etc...?

tsi_neal
05-22-2006, 05:36 PM
For sure! I'm assuming you have your licence etc...?

Yup, your assuming correctly. Im trying to get some mechanical issues solved before ill be out on the track again. (feel free to make turbo rotary jokes) But if there is a track day inparticular youll be at let me know, id like to see the car in action on the roadcourse.

ron korolak
05-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Where do you race? Do you come up to Edmonton to do the Autocross there?

tsi_neal
05-23-2006, 11:05 PM
I do most of my racing in calgary. Its the only roadcourse ive drivin. as for autocross, ill travel around a bit for those if the event is worth my time.

Were you planning on running some solo2 events or wait till next year when you can get some timed runs at race citys track?

ron korolak
05-23-2006, 11:46 PM
I would like to run some solo2 events, atleast thats what I think they are called. I'm not 100% up to speed on the difference. I would like to go out to race city for time trials more so then bumper to bumper racing. Not looking to have the car damaged just looking for fun and improve my driving skills. If you have any websites that offer info could you please share.

Teggy2nr
05-24-2006, 09:03 PM
^^You should try to make it down to SCC at Bud park in sept always a lot of beyoners there and a really fun day, way better than SCN

tsi_neal
05-24-2006, 10:16 PM
I would like to run some solo2 events, atleast thats what I think they are called. I'm not 100% up to speed on the difference. I would like to go out to race city for time trials more so then bumper to bumper racing. Not looking to have the car damaged just looking for fun and improve my driving skills. If you have any websites that offer info could you please share.

solo2 is autocross, slalom, etc parking lots and tight courses made of pylons.

solo1 is timed road course lapping. one car at a time (well several on the course at once but spaced out so your essencially on your own. You need a licence for this, so you gotta sign up and take the school early in the year.

Lapping days youll be with traffic, but generally no passing in corners and no timing (this gets by alot of safety regulations, and insurance, and licencing, etc)

www.bishop.ab.ca/CSCC there are some lapping days with jay pringles track techniques coming up later in the year and for solo1 your gonna have to wait for next year.

ron korolak
05-24-2006, 10:43 PM
I can't believe that they only have one day a year to get your licence? I was hoping to make it out this year but I guess I well have to wait till next. Where is the longest most open autocross events held?

tsi_neal
05-25-2006, 06:01 PM
I can't believe that they only have one day a year to get your licence? I was hoping to make it out this year but I guess I well have to wait till next. Where is the longest most open autocross events held?

I think the loss of our red deer lot killed the true open events. although ive never been nanamo (sp?) in edmonton is a large airfield lot and may be in the same ball park as red deer, but that is guessing.

With the way solo1 works (well more race city...) it makes sence that there is only one day a year to get a licence. as there is a minimum number of people needed to make the whole season economically viable and you gotta lock those people in early. There are other aspects of this that i dont like tho, ie i may not be able to get refunded for the events that im missing because of a blown motor. but such is life and id rather pay a bit more now and ensure that i can run in future years.

Z_Fan
05-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the kind words Shawn, but if people only new all the hard work and blood sweat and tears, not to mention money that goes in to building a fast street. I have been struggling to get this car really running right for several years now, and it looks like things are finally starting to come around for me. I have to admit I am jealous of seeing you drive the Z from Calgary to Edmonton then race.:thumbsup:

I hear ya. For any car to run fast consistently, you've got to stay on top of things and it is time consuming and costly. Tweak tweak tweak. It never stops.

The Z was a very expensive project. BUT- like you - I really put a major priority on being able to drive the car in the same form that it runs at the quarter mile. I'll take 11 second passes on radial tires, zero weight reduction and street legal [save for exhaust] all day thank you very much. :D

I think everyone has illegal exhaust tips anyhow...hahah...