PDA

View Full Version : any tips on cleaning engine bay???

Gravy_83
05-19-2006, 12:25 AM
yeah like it says my engine is dirty as i drove through canada twice and 2 winters so it's in need of a good cleaning. any tips would help

JordanEG6
05-19-2006, 12:37 AM
use some heavy duty engine degreaser or Simple Green and wash away. then use armorall protective wipes after it dries. heres the enigne bay of my old car after a heavy cleaning

http://jordandino.blogs.friendster.com/photos/civic/dsc00345.JPG

i used armorall on all the black components.

Mitsu3000gt
05-19-2006, 07:46 AM
Don't use armorall it is very bad for plastic/rubber. An engine hose is probably the very last place I would put armorall. It ages and cracks plastic/rubber after it makes it shine for a day or two. Armorall contains a petroleum solution that is very harmful to plastic/rubber. It breaks it down chemically, and intensifies the UV rays of the sun. It also contains alcohol, which further dries/cracks plastic, rubber, vynl, etc. Additionally it attracts dust like no other, so it surprises me any time people use it expecting a long lasting shine. I especially wouldn't put it near any important plastic/rubber pieces in my engine bay.

Use a real product like 303 Aerospace and you will be very happy, it is water based instead of in a petroleum solution, and has full UV protection.

Mark

KKY
05-19-2006, 10:27 AM
I got a bit carried away and spent more than 2 hrs cleaning the engine bay of my car last night with car soap and shop paper towel. Went in there with my hands and fingers! :nut: then protected with 303.

Wouldn't recommand cleaning a dirty engine bay like this though... wouldn't be very effective anyways. my car wasn't extremely dirty to start with, but my back was already killing me when i was done.

Gravy_83
05-19-2006, 11:38 AM
yeah thanks for the tips where can I get this 303 stuff?? and I like doing shit by hand permits me to see into my engine bay and find any potential problems like I did last night hahah found out my exhaust is ready to go by going under the car for something hehe. even though the body has seen way better days i still like to keep it clean when I can and im in the process of getting the body parts to get her all fixed up

JordanEG6
05-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Don't use armorall it is very bad for plastic/rubber. An engine hose is probably the very last place I would put armorall. It ages and cracks plastic/rubber after it makes it shine for a day or two. Armorall contains a petroleum solution that is very harmful to plastic/rubber. It breaks it down chemically, and intensifies the UV rays of the sun. It also contains alcohol, which further dries/cracks plastic, rubber, vynl, etc. Additionally it attracts dust like no other, so it surprises me any time people use it expecting a long lasting shine. I especially wouldn't put it near any important plastic/rubber pieces in my engine bay.

Use a real product like 303 Aerospace and you will be very happy, it is water based instead of in a petroleum solution, and has full UV protection.

Mark

HMM..haha good to know. ill stop buying

GQBalla
05-19-2006, 01:18 PM
would you have to cover anything to clean the engine bay?

i need to clean mine bad.

does the engine need to be cold, hose it down spray simple green and wash it away?

DC2
05-19-2006, 01:34 PM
if you have a short ram intake, put a bag around it. and there was something else... distrubuter i think?

i also heard it was better if the engine was still warm. so all the grease is warm.. makes sense i guess

GQBalla
05-19-2006, 01:39 PM
thats true ^^ makes sense so just cover the distributer?

DC2
05-19-2006, 01:40 PM
and make sure no water gets into it at all

the_fornicator
05-19-2006, 01:54 PM
www.bettercarcare.com

best site ever.

KKY
05-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Gravy_83
yeah thanks for the tips where can I get this 303 stuff??

Auto Value sells it cheaper than cdn tire. Whenever i have it in my hand i have the urge to spray everything rubber and vinyl with it.:D

Mitsu3000gt
05-20-2006, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Gravy_83
yeah thanks for the tips where can I get this 303 stuff?? and I like doing shit by hand permits me to see into my engine bay and find any potential problems like I did last night hahah found out my exhaust is ready to go by going under the car for something hehe. even though the body has seen way better days i still like to keep it clean when I can and im in the process of getting the body parts to get her all fixed up

www.properautocare.com has it and alot of boat shops carry it, because boat interior is like 90% vinyl.

Mark

Azn_Rice_Man
05-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Canadian Tire has lots of the 303 stuff for sale.... Costs $13.99

aRtET
05-29-2006, 11:00 AM
what about if you got HID's wouldn't it be hard to wash the engine bay if your igniter is there? cause I'm having that issue right now..i don't know if i want to wash my engine bay with the HID's in it....just cause my friend told me not to wash the engine bay with the HID's in :(

yellowsnow
06-09-2006, 12:42 PM
wrap areas you don't want wet with a plastic bag w/ a rubber band, or tin foil. the engine shouldn't be too hot. it should be cool enough so you can place your hand on it for 10-20 seconds. then spray on your degreaser, and make sure you rinse it thoroughly

legendboy
06-09-2006, 12:55 PM
princess auto heavy duty degreaser > *

teggypimp95
06-09-2006, 12:59 PM
I like the gunk engine bay cleaner. spray it on a warm not hot engine, wait 10 min, rince, then run the car for 15 min for drying. The use a protector like 303 or something to keep it shinny and dirt with come off even easier next time round.

teggypimp95
06-09-2006, 01:01 PM
What do you guys like for interior shinning? Not to wet but a dry clean not greasy look? i kinda like simmons semi gloss wips, i find it lasts a long time and the perfect amount of shine, curious what you guys like? dont men to high jack just thought it kinda suited the topic of protectant and shining :D