403Gemini
05-20-2006, 01:20 AM
Anybody else let down by this?

Dont have much more to say other than i expected more

kaput
05-20-2006, 01:24 AM

Si_FlyGuy
05-20-2006, 01:29 AM
Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 19%...which is in the same ballpark of what I would've given the movie. It was long, anti-climatic, and deviated from the novel. Sophie was supposed to be super hot according to the book too.:poosie:.

rc2002
05-20-2006, 01:32 AM
:thumbsdow Just saw it, wasn't too impressed with it... I think it's a hard movie to make though especially because so many people have already read the book and have high expectations.

gp36912
05-20-2006, 01:33 AM
lol :P well seeing as i havnt read the book, i enjoyed it quite abit. it problably is the only movie that actually kept me guessing that ive watched in the past 2 years. they did omit some details etc but i followed and understood everything just fine

Si_FlyGuy
05-20-2006, 01:39 AM
I don't think that they fully utilized Tom Hanks and Jean Reno's talents in this movie.

403Gemini
05-20-2006, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
I don't think that they fully utilized Tom Hanks and Jean Reno's talents in this movie.

i agree, everybodies acting seemed really flat

Originally posted by gp36912
lol :P well seeing as i havnt read the book, i enjoyed it quite abit. it problably is the only movie that actually kept me guessing that ive watched in the past 2 years. they did omit some details etc but i followed and understood everything just fine

... did you even watch the trailer? the trailer gave away every "twist" in the movie

brettg
05-20-2006, 01:54 AM
^i dont know if it was so much flat acting or just that there was way to much dialog to really have a chance to act. the movie was like listing to my grade 12 social teacher talk, sooooo much information. it was really well done just not as entertaining as i would have hoped. honestly i think that when a moie has so much hype like this one it is almost always a let down.

gp36912
05-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

... did you even watch the trailer? the trailer gave away every "twist" in the movie

actually no i didn't watch the trailer lol.

Si_FlyGuy
05-20-2006, 01:59 AM
Paul Bettany outshone the rest by far. Maybe Ron Howard wasn't the right director for this movie. Everytime I see him, I think of the Simpsons episode with him and the Baldwins.

avow
05-20-2006, 02:15 AM
too damn long :S

no_joke
05-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Paul Bettany outshone the rest by far. Maybe Ron Howard wasn't the right director for this movie. Everytime I see him, I think of the Simpsons episode with him and the Baldwins.

http://simpsons.metropoliglobal.com/famosos/BABF02RonHoward.jpg

For me, the book was alright; I'd give it 7/10 but from the reviews I've read from critics and you guys Ron Howard should've just made this movie.

Ron Howard: Well, well, there is this one thing. It's about a killer robot driving instructor that travels back in time for some reason.
Brian Grazer: I'm listening.
Ron Howard: Okay, okay, well, you see...this robot, he's got a heartbreaking decision to make about whether his best friend lives...or dies.
Brian Grazer: Eh.
Ron Howard: His best friend's a talking pie!
Brian Grazer: Sold! Howard, you've done it again!

Source: Wikipedia

MidnightDreamer
05-20-2006, 11:11 AM
I agree on almost all points... Very anti climatic, just like MI3... Damned ending took so long too... As someone having a religious backround I didn't find the movie too difficult to follow, but I can understand how some might have been overwhelmed by all the religious dialogue...

beecue
05-20-2006, 11:33 AM
lol i read the book so it wasnt that confusing ... my friend wanted to walk out cuz he had no idea what was going on ... i dont think it would be possible to put in all the detail :dunno:

Importz
05-20-2006, 12:53 PM
what a bunk movie....

403Gemini
05-20-2006, 01:22 PM
it wasnt difficult to follow at all

i never read the book (reading it now since everybody is going on about how much greater the book was... which isnt difficult haha)

and if you think lord of the rings: return of the king ending was long... wow did this ending ever drag out haha

Si_FlyGuy
05-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Read Angels and Demons by the same author if you're into this kind of stuff. It's a way better book than DaVinci Code.

403Gemini
05-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Read Angels and Demons by the same author if you're into this kind of stuff. It's a way better book than DaVinci Code.
yea my friend kendall said that, think ill read that before i start davinci code

dave101
05-20-2006, 06:02 PM
ya angels and demons is kind a prelude to davinci code. but i changed my mind about reading davinci code. what a dissappointment

edit: angels and demons was AMAZING. i could NOT put the damn book down! ha

Wildcat
05-20-2006, 06:32 PM
i think everyone got aboard the hate train with this movie. of course it wasent going to be as good as the book, it never is! i dont know what the critics were expecting but it wasent a terrible movie, neither was it a tremendous success by any stretch... 7/10

snade831
05-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by dave101
ya angels and demons is kind a prelude to davinci code. but i changed my mind about reading davinci code. what a dissappointment

edit: angels and demons was AMAZING. i could NOT put the damn book down! ha

next book i will read

kertejud
05-21-2006, 04:38 PM
The book was overrated to being with, most people seemed to have read it because it was controversial, but it wasn't really that good a book. The concept was interesting, even though they were just recycled theories, so it was good, but not great.

As for the movie, I thought it did pretty damn well considering how hard it got critiqued, it isn't a very easy story to adapt to the screen (with all the dialouge) but it still managed to keep moving and keep my interest with some good action. I would also like to echo the props to Paul Bettany, he played Silas exactly like I pictured him, but Hanks didn't really make a good Langdon, but still, his acting was good despite it, it didn't take anything away from the movie. Entertaining yes, but is it going to win any awards? No.

Anybody just keep thinking that they were watching 'National Treasure: Catholicism Edition' though?

JAYMEZ
05-21-2006, 04:40 PM
^^^ I disagree , i thought the book was really good . Also Angels and Demons was another excellent book (just re read it)...

Anyways I thought the movie was decent , it could have been better but not much you can about that.

I get it 1 thumbs up

snade831
05-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by kertejud

Anybody just keep thinking that they were watching 'National Treasure: Catholicism Edition' though?

^^^ i liked that movie

Wildcat
05-21-2006, 06:57 PM
i agree, tom hanks was a bad choice. and this was one of his worst performances easily, he bored me to death actually. Harrison ford wouldve made a better robert langdon.

i also agree with the book being overrated, you can't deny it was poorly written. interesting concept tho..

l8braker
05-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
^^^ I disagree , i thought the book was really good . Also Angels and Demons was another excellent book (just re read it)...

Anyways I thought the movie was decent , it could have been better but not much you can about that.

I get it 1 thumbs up

Wasn't Angels and Demons a good read? I'm gonna re read it as well when the chance comes up.

I enjoyed the book and the movie, could have been better but oh well eh.

kertejud
05-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
i agree, tom hanks was a bad choice. and this was one of his worst performances easily, he bored me to death actually. Harrison ford wouldve made a better robert langdon.

My cousin said that as well ('Harrison Ford ten years ago' actually), but I think that they might as well have called it Indiana Jones and the Da Vinci Code had they gone that route.

toyboy88
05-21-2006, 11:06 PM
his digital fortress is pretty good book too IMO

dave101
05-22-2006, 03:09 PM
has anyopne read deception point yet? i just bought it.....

arian_ma
05-22-2006, 08:07 PM
SPOILER!!!!!!!

The entire movie, I thought they already told us she was the last person with the blood of jesus. So when they actually found out I was like wtf? hahahaha. I found it confusing since I have almost no religious background.

b_t
05-22-2006, 09:42 PM
Personally I thought the movie was pretty good. Not amazing, by any means, but exceeded my expectations.. and did not deserve 17% on rotten tomatoes by ANY stretch

JordanLotoski
05-22-2006, 10:26 PM
wow....pretty much if you have seen national treasure.....you dont need to see this movie, sure the plot is a little different, but pretty close to the same kinda flick...i was let down for sure

JordanLotoski
05-22-2006, 10:28 PM

i also agree with the book being overrated, you can't deny it was poorly written. interesting concept tho..

harrison ford...thats funny cause on the way out of the movie i said it shoulda been harrison ford and ashly judd..they always seem to do tese types of flicks

eb0i
05-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Haven't seen this yet but I believe it would be best to see it in the cheap theatres.

You know when I thought of Robert Langdon, I thought of Hugh Laurie from the tv show "House" (He's Dr. House). So when I saw that they chose Tom Hanks I was pretty disappointed.

Godfuader
05-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by beecue
lol i read the book so it wasnt that confusing ... my friend wanted to walk out cuz he had no idea what was going on ... i dont think it would be possible to put in all the detail :dunno:
If you haven't read the book, it would feel like an action thriller. So i think reading the book is critical before watching the movie.

Originally posted by dave101
has anyopne read deception point yet? i just bought it.....

Just finished, interesting read. Very very simple language, and typical dan brown style. real good read for long flights or when you have a lot of free time.

heavyD
05-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Some like it, some hate it so the consensus is that it won't be the summer blockbuster that was hoped. This year has really stunk for movies. Is there anything else on the horizon to look forward to? The best movie I've seen by far this year was Lucky Number Slevin & it certainly won't go down as a classic.

Lo)2enz0
05-23-2006, 10:22 AM
i thought it was a good movie, but they left a bunch of topics un solved. like how the hell did he figure that out by the drop of blood. and why was the grandpa fucking that girl????makes no sense.

besides that, a bit of an adventure and awsome diction used in the movie

5abi
05-23-2006, 10:32 AM
angels and deamons all the way.

2000_SI
05-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
like how the hell did he figure that out by the drop of blood.
When the drp of blood hit the sink and made a line towards the drain it reminds him of The Paris meridian.

Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
and why was the grandpa fucking that girl????
Langdon explained in the movie that Pagans beleived that they could experience god though intercourse with a woman because women where sacred.

gonefishing
05-23-2006, 10:44 AM
i seen it yestrerday and thought it was ok. i never read the book though and had to get the gf to explain some parts afterwards. it might have been better if the damn fire alarm and flashing lights didn't go off halfway thru the movie at Spectrum .

Lo)2enz0
05-23-2006, 11:15 AM
oh ok, i get it now. wow paganism is +1 for being awsome lol

sexualbanana
05-23-2006, 10:03 PM
I just saw the movie and I gotta say I thought it was alright. Not great, but considering the material the screenwriter started with, it's alright.

The book contained too many flashbacks and too much thought (as in the thoughts of the characters) to really make a sufficient movie. Plus there are too many details of the rituals, etc. The one thing they should've explained better was the ritual of Hieros Gamos (the sex ritual). The way it was portrayed in the movie just made the Priory look like a bunch of creeps.

Wildcat
05-23-2006, 10:08 PM
honestly, the movie wouldve been awesome if no-one read the book, or if there wasent a book, just a screenplay. but since everyone read it... it got slammed.

stevieo
05-24-2006, 12:35 AM
honestly, the movie wouldve been awesome if no-one read the book, or if there wasent a book, just a screenplay. but since everyone read it... it got slammed.

i never read the book, i thought the movie was quite good, but then again like you said, peopel who read the book have different opinions.

403Gemini
05-24-2006, 12:50 AM
i never read the book and i thought the movie was a complete bore.

as you said wildcat, EASILY tom hanks WORST movie ever. he couldnt save this movie just like johnny depp couldnt save the 9th gate

beecue
05-24-2006, 10:00 AM
time to read angels and demons as they are going to probably make it into a movie now

Cherrypicker
05-24-2006, 10:18 AM
was disappointed :thumbsdow

dansmith11
05-24-2006, 03:46 PM
i havent seen it yet, so i dont really know what im talking about.

but i get the idea people are hating on it just becuase its the thing to do. lol everyone wants to sound all smart talking about how much better the book was and how bad the movie is.

hating this movie seems to be like cheering for the flames. nobody really understands why, they just jumped on the bandwagon. :dunno:

EMAN_O
05-25-2006, 07:31 AM
OH SNAPP!!

Was gonna go see it... But I guess I will save my 15 dollars for another...

Everyone that knows me knows that I have an attention span of like 5 minutes.... movies 1 hour max with constant leaving, therefore, most movies don't cut it... :D

Plus I hate movies that contradict each other within sources (movie contradicts the original book, etc.)

How long is it anyways?

Kirbs17
05-25-2006, 10:37 AM
I read the book and enjoyed it more, but the movie was alright.

KLCC
05-27-2006, 02:00 AM
It is a regular flick, nothing too exciting about it. However, after reading the book prior to the movie, the movie actually made me re-read the book all over again. :D

szw
05-27-2006, 02:10 AM
i thought the movie wasn't great, but neither was the book.

Kamen
05-27-2006, 10:47 PM
I just came back from the movie tonight, I thought it was ok.
I read the book last year so a lot of memories were coming back to me which was cool. Some parts were omitted/rushed for sure but understandable.

The funniest thing was that when Silas attacked Langdon in Teabing's house, some guy in the theatre screamed really loud it was hilarous, I've never heard a guy scream like that before. :rofl: