PDA

View Full Version : Going to Japan

eblend
05-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Hello
I am planning on going to Japan at the end of July and need some pointers at what to do and how to do it all.

I am planning to go to Tokyo and then travel some of the country and visit places like Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I want to know all there is about this country, customs, ways of getting around fairly inexpensively, accomidations, stuff like that. If anyone knows of a good book to buy to learn about some of this let me know as well. I want to be in Hiroshima on Aug 6th for the anneversary of the atomic bomb. Anyways, any and all pointers are welcome. I am a white male, 22 and speak not a single word of japanese, so any advice on traveling alone would be awesome.

Thanks

abc1
05-20-2006, 11:34 PM
There are stores called 99 yen shops that sells food for a fairly cheap price compared to your normal convenient stores. That can save you a bit on money. Taxi's are expensive. Don't take the taxi in Tokyo. Just pick up a guide book like loney planet. I have one and it has phrase that'll help get your around places. I know in Tokyo, the locals here will help you automatically if you have a confused look on your face or if you're trying to figure out the train system here hahaha. Google up japan guide. That website has lots of information on getting around Japan and where is the hot spot to check out. Also, how long do you plan on staying in Japan? If you're here for just a short time, don't worry too much. Just go out and enjoy yourself. But if you still have any questions, please let me know by PM or post here.

eblend
05-20-2006, 11:45 PM
thanks abc1. I am planning to go for about a month.
If there are hostels which I assume there are I will be staying. Other than tickets, how much in canadian funds should I save up for my 1 month trip do you figure? I am not looking to live a lavish life, I just want to pay bare minimum to accomplish what is needed

88CRXGUY
05-21-2006, 12:04 AM
^He doesn't know how to speak Japanese. I think that you should pick up some material and try to lean just a few of the basics just in case. There are cd's and books out there that can help you, I got a book and learning cd for 35 bucks. Japanese are very helpfull and they will help you if you look lost, or you try to ask for help in japanese. Also there is two different ways of how to speak and write Japanese(Katicana & Kanji). One uses symbols(brush strokes) & the other uses engish letters (a,e,i,u,o). The letters would be better to try to learn Japanese(it was for me anyways). For the numbers they use brush stroke lines(not actual numbers 1,2,3,4 etc)(its hard to explain on here).

Bring some extra money with you(when your out and about in Tokyo), they probably don't take visa and mastercard, debit etc. Wear something canadian, or that has a canadian flag on it(so they don't think your american). Try to take up a tour, then you can get some of the sights and sounds and having it explained to you in english.

I agree with abc1 when you there have a blast. don't worry about anything. Its going to be an awsome experience, its could be the trip of a lifetime. Take lots of pictures and video(memories). I am going to be going next summer and I can't wait.

I hope that some of this helps, its hard to remember back 5 years to Japanese class.

I also found somethings that might help(tips)

http://gojapan.about.com/cs/traveltools/a/japanhowtotips.htm

When it comes to money, think about how much a day you would be spending. Say about 50 bucks a day. for the month it would be around you need 1500(not including plane ticket)

andres_mt
05-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Wow, thats really gonna be a sweet trip.
Be sure to take lots of pictures (especially of cars) and post them when you get back.:thumbsup:

abc1
05-21-2006, 10:48 AM
You can never save enough for travel :D But it's going to be hard to say how much you should save up, since you will be traveling alot. Eating can start from at about $9 a day. Traveling cost will depend on where you are traveling to. My friend is getting a JR train pass that lets you use the any JR line for one week. That is something to look into. I have a map of hostels. If I have a website showing where they all are, I'll post the link up. Also guesthouses can be cheap.

For money, you can go to the post office and use your debit card to withdraw money. The bad thing is you have a withdraw limit of 50,000 yen at a time and it charges you 5 bucks for each withdraw. Not the best way to get money, but it's good for emergencies. Also Visa is ok and I'll assume Mastercard should be too.

It is a good idea to learn some Japanese. It will make things easier. But since you are staying for a month, don't worry too too much about it. A few practical phrase and words will be just fine or just get a phrase book. The phrase book should have almost everything to get you by. Also a guide book might be useful. You can use it to show the locals where you want to go. A lot of Japanese people can read english. Just hope they understand what they are reading hahaha. I do know some people that don't speak Japanese and they are able to get around fine. If you can, try to find someone to travel with. The experiance would be more fun.

I don't know what to say about the Canadian flag thing. When they see a white guy, they think America. A fair amount of Japanese people like or love America! Especially high school girls :poosie:

eblend
05-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by abc1
A fair amount of Japanese people like or love America! Especially high school girls :poosie:

Thanks for exposing my prime motivator hahaha
j/k......not primary but it sure is a motivator :d

88CRXGUY
05-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Yeah in other countries they don't really like americans, hey man if it works out in your favor your american for a month lol...

dave101
05-21-2006, 08:26 PM
aaaah i wanna go so badly. be sure to post some pics!!

R!zz0
05-22-2006, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by abc1
. A fair amount of Japanese people like or love America! Especially high school girls :poosie:

It's too bad they don't like to drive American made cars. :D

Anyways, take some car pictures when you're there and share it with beyond family.

xtrader101
06-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Transportation:

If you plan to stay in Tokyo area buy the monthly pass.

Accomodation:

Accomodation is fairly expensive. I paid 10,000 Yen per night on hotel for 5 days. On my second trip I stayed with in a friend's apartment for free.

Food:

As far as I can remember, this was 4 years ago, 300 - 500 Yen per meal.

Girls:

Very expensive to go to Karaoke bars.

Regarding being white, I suggest be polite and don't be aggressive. A simple "Hai, domo arigato guzaimas". will be very good.

Take the shinkansen going south in Shizouka prefecture. You will see Mount Fuji in its Glory. If you have time go north to Sendai city, its beautiful.

Enjoy your trip.

sputnik
06-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Check out this place to stay...

http://www.kimi-ryokan.jp/index.html

403Gemini
06-09-2006, 01:24 AM
what i noticed when i was there is the japanese people will try and accomodate you as much as possible. Mcdonalds there is amazing. the food yous ee in the picture is what you are served. it looks and tastes amazing and is only marginally more expensive (like an extra buck or so).

also they'll usually have a manager or somebody on the staff that will help / serve you. extremely friendly.

and yes, japanese girls over there have something for white guys haha. it was great :thumbsup:

beautiful country, youll have a blast