PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on camera (from H1 to..)

elementone
05-21-2006, 10:25 AM
So, ive came to realize that i want something a little better than my Sony H1. So yesterday i went in the Sony Store to check the price to see what i could get for my not even 1 year old h1, wich brand new is still close to the 600 dollars. I saw the Sony R1, its a 10.1 mpx with a 5x zoom, i held it and it was awesome. It is in the 1200 dollar range, wich makes me think about all those bodies out there with swappable lenses and what not, because the r1 does not allow me to do anything with lenses.
Up to this moment plans are to sell the H1 and look for a new one before selling the other it.
I need something with a very wide functionallity angle. I want a camera with the zoon and the focus on the actual less, rather than a button or a menu.

... Any ideas?

D'z Nutz
05-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Dang, for that price you could easily get yourself a new Nikon D50 or Canon Rebel XT and still have money left over for a lens. The retail lifespan of the Rebel XT is just about up, so we can be expecting a new model very shortly so the current price of the XT should drop a bit. Can't comment on Nikon bodies though.

Or if you don't used gear, there's plenty of options.

elementone
05-21-2006, 10:56 AM
good! 2 suggestions so far!

Pihsiak
05-21-2006, 12:03 PM
If DSLR is still not your cup of tea, might I suggest the FZ30 from Panasonic?
It's around the $900 range right now and I was thinking about it when I was making my purchase, It has the Manual focus and zoom ring on the lens, 12x optical zoom (432mm telephoto), Image Stabilizer, flip out screen on the back for angle shots and a digital view finder so you still see everything the lens sees. Throw in an optional flash mount, obviously it will still have manual control options so if you did know how to use them or want to learn it would not be a problem.
I think they also give you an extention tube, and the lens hood... it's a big fucking box.

The down side about it would have to be the lens, It's not a crappy lens.
Panasonic teamed up with German lens company Leica as a joint venture, but unlike some panasonic camera models, after Panasonic produced the lens, it gets shipped out to Germany so the Lecia people can put together the lens and then they ship it back to Japan to be put together. (That's why on the lens barrel you see the word "Leica" next time you look at simpler panasonic camera all you see on the barrel is "Lumix" which means Panasonic did all the work)
But the thing i don't like about this lens compared to the older model FZ20 is the fact that the FZ30 is not a straight f2.8 lens....

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicFZ30/images/allroundview-001.jpg (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicFZ30/images/allroundview.jpg)

elementone
05-21-2006, 02:08 PM
that looks quite like the r1 from sony
i loved the flip up screen on top and the extra flash mount.

and yes, dslr is my cup of tea :)

may i get some suggestions on dslr?

BerserkerCatSplat
05-21-2006, 02:14 PM
DSLR? Nikon D50 or Canon Rebel XT.

I'd recommend the Nikon myself, but as I've told many people, you'd most likely be quite happy with either. The D50 is a little cheaper and has a few features the Rebel XT doesn't (spot metering being the big one for me), but has a couple less AF points. But hey, I say go out and try them both. I bought the Nikon becuase it feels much, much better in my hands than the XT - even when the XT has the grip attached.

muse017
05-21-2006, 06:53 PM
What about Pentax?
If you can get IstDs or IstDs2. It'll be an awsome camera to begin with and good price.

elementone
05-22-2006, 11:26 AM
i keep reading on it and it says that Canon EOS 350D and the megapixel Olympus E-500 EVOLT are the only ones comparable to the R1. For its price and what not.. im kind hessitant about the price range for the gear (lenses, flash)

Pihsiak
05-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Someone is selling an evolt here on the forums for like 700ish

great deal if you ask me. :thumbsup: