PDA

View Full Version : Fiore's, whatever happened to quality service?

mo_money2supe
05-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Long rant ahead...if you're not interested in the story, skip to the last paragraph. But the jist of it, don't ever go there!

I used to enjoy Fiore's on 17th Ave a lot, but after today's visit, I'm likely never going back. I graduated from Western HS where each week during my double spares, my friends and I would enjoy going there for lunch. As well, for the past 5 years since I finished high school, I would go there at least once a month during their special cheap pasta days. Well, I went there today, and boy, has their quality gone downhill. Like the title of the thread says, what the heck happened to service??? Especially when the restaurant wasn't even busy!

I went with a group of 10 people, myself arriving first with about half that. When we told them we had a party of 10, they more or less gave a frown and never talked to us again afterwards. At first, I thought, oh, whatever, maybe the food and the other waiters/waitresses would be nicer. Boy, was I wrong!

Our bread was stale. They gave us I think a total of 5 pieces to share amongst 10 people, without even offering more. Yeah, some places are cheap on bread, but the same thing happened with the water! They never even offered us more water! And as for those of us who ordered pop, the refills came AFTER all the plates were collected and the table was cleaned. If there were any whom weren't ticked off yet, they sure were when the bill came. They charged us EXTRA for refills for one. What the heck? As well, when I and another guy went up to pay using cards, we had to wait for about 10 minutes, with the cards out in our hands mind you, before a waitress finally approached us and asked, "did you want something?" Lastly, when we left, they didn't even say goodbye, let alone even look at us. The first thing they went for was the bill on the table. I'm sure after we walked out the door, they made several choice comments after they realized the tip, or rather lack of one, we left for them.

Anywho, I just wanted to rant about how poor their service and their food has become. For those who enjoyed it once in the past, I'd advice you not to go anymore because it's nothing like it used to be. Caveat empor -- buyer's beware!

Hakkola
05-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Good to know.

:thumbsdow

asuth077
05-21-2006, 04:10 PM
That does suck, I like cheap pasta but I usually just stick to Chiantes down south which is the same owners.

GTS Jeff
05-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Heh, 5 years ago Fiores was decent. Nowadays it's italian trash.

snade831
05-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by asuth077
That does suck, I like cheap pasta but I usually just stick to Chiantes down south which is the same owners.

posted it before i could. chiantes is pretty much the same resaurant. there are a few around calgary

l8braker
05-21-2006, 06:49 PM
I agree with that!!!! I'm glad you posted this thread, What a shithole now compared to even last year. I went with my folks a few weeks ago and would never set foot in there again, EVER.

Horrible service, honestly we never had a server who didn't have their head shoved up their ass any time we've dined there, but the food was amazing. Alas, not anymore.

mac_82
05-21-2006, 06:52 PM
I went to Fiore's about 2 years ago, just after it had opened after the reno that they did. A couple of friends were in town from Toronto so we popped in for lunch when we were walking down 17th. We all had apps, meals, and drinks. Service was awesome, but the best part was when the bill came, it should have been ~$70 and they comped the whole bill for us. The waiter stuck around to see the look on our faces when we found out everything was free. Best service I have ever gotten in Calgary.

Its too bad their food and service aren't what they used to be, havent been there in a while...

Tik-Tok
05-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Good service is getting harder and harder to find in Calgary, we've boycotted many once decent restaurants due to having very bad service 2-3 times in a row.

Even Smuggler's Inn's service is shite, and they've been around for 30 years or so.

BebeAphrodite
05-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
I went to Fiore's about 2 years ago, just after it had opened after the reno that they did. A couple of friends were in town from Toronto so we popped in for lunch when we were walking down 17th. We all had apps, meals, and drinks. Service was awesome, but the best part was when the bill came, it should have been ~$70 and they comped the whole bill for us. The waiter stuck around to see the look on our faces when we found out everything was free. Best service I have ever gotten in Calgary.

Its too bad their food and service aren't what they used to be, havent been there in a while...

Why would they comp it?

-------

I've only ever been to Fiores twice and each time the food was so disgusting that I never wanted to go back. I dont remember the service as being bad... just bad pasta.

mac_82
05-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by BebeAphrodite

Why would they comp it?

It was just after they reopened and it was a bit slow in the afternoon. No idea why we got everything for free, but it sure made my day.:thumbsup:

mo_money2supe
05-22-2006, 01:48 AM
Hmm...never had any bad experiences with Chianti's. I still like the idea of cheap pasta days, so I have to go somewhere... Besides, Chianti's has the vinegar/olive oil for their bread unlike Fiore's, their cheap pastas are cheaper, and they have a much larger menu.

In any case, all I know is that my long devotion to Fiore's has now become extinct, and by the sounds of it, many of you agree the same way. :thumbsdow once again.

szw
05-22-2006, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
Besides, Chianti's has the vinegar/olive oil for their bread unlike Fiore's,\

Last time I was at Fiore's I had to ask for it, then they bring it out. Previously they always brought it out for you.

mo_money2supe
05-22-2006, 03:00 AM
Fiore's has vinegar/olive oil for their bread??? They used to bring it out? I've been going for the past 8 years and I've NEVER seen them having that service. Or did you mean Chianti's? If Fiore's DID have the dip, it would've helped with their awfully stale and at least one day old bread that the 10 of us had to share!

szw
05-22-2006, 03:04 AM
Yes Fiores, I went to western. Its just (EV?) olive oil and vinegar, just ask them for it. Now I'm not certain they used to bring it out automatically, but i always had it. Maybe I always asked for it? I can't remember. (~5-8 years ago)

Bill Cosby
05-22-2006, 02:54 PM
i remember my parents bringing me there once about 10 years ago, i didnt like it of course, i was 9-10 im not interested in that kind of food, but i do remember my parents were thoroughly impressed with the ambience as well as the food, sad to see a landmark like fiores on 17 going down the hole

yee

cujo_cjc
05-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Yea that place is pretty bad. My girlfriend suggested we go there one night and we went in...and didnt even get served a glass of water.
And when we got up and left we were walking and we told the hostess that we didnt get any service and were leaving. All she said oh so blondely 'oh..'
No apology or nothing.

:bullshit:

sputnik
05-22-2006, 09:24 PM
Fiore and Chianti have been garbage pasta for YEARS. Nothing has gone downhill. They have always been at the bottom.

For $6.95 I would rather eat pasta at home and do a MUCH better job than they do.

max_boost
05-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Mmmm....I haven't had Chianti's in awhile. Craving it now. :D Now I don't know if there's a big difference between a $7 pasta and a $50 one but I'll find out when I have sometime off in a month to sample some finer dining.

Did you guys notice that all the kitchen workers in Chianti's are Asian? I couldn't help but notice that everytime I go haha. I use to go once a week but haven't been there in the last couple years since I started working a lot.

BebeAphrodite
05-23-2006, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Mmmm....I haven't had Chianti's in awhile. Craving it now. :D Now I don't know if there's a big difference between a $7 pasta and a $50 one but I'll find out when I have sometime off in a month to sample some finer dining.

Hmm.. I've never had a $50 pasta but there is a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference between the pastas at Chiantis, Fiores, Lucianos, etc and places like Buon Giorno, Mammas, Da Guido, etc.

GTS Jeff
05-23-2006, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Did you guys notice that all the kitchen workers in Chianti's are Asian? I couldn't help but notice that everytime I go haha. I use to go once a week but haven't been there in the last couple years since I started working a lot. Yeah I think they're nammers. Apparently the owner is racist and believes that nammers work harder than whiteys in the kitchen.

Try ordering Pho Dac Biet next time you're at Chianti's. ;)