PDA

View Full Version : Who owns what...I don't understand.

R!zz0
05-22-2006, 08:04 AM
I dont' understand on how "Ford" is doing so bad. Look what they own. Isn't Mazda and Volvo doing really good?

Ford owns:
-Aston Martin
-Ford
-Jaguar
-Land Rover (bought from BMW)
-Lincoln
-Mazda (Ford owns 33% of Mazda)
-Mercury
-Volvo cars

Also, Daimler/Chrysler owns:

-Maybach
-Mercedes-Benz
-Smart

Isn't Daimler a European company that bought out chrysler and helped them out while they were struggeling? Look at the Crossfire, that looks like a mercedes. Wasn't that built by German engineers?

Graham_A_M
05-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Daimler IS Benz. Its the last name for Gothleb Daimler, who pioneered the first motorcycle, then went on to building cars. Dodge was basically bankrupt in the mid to late 1980's. They were brought out by Mercedes benz. So yes Dodge is essentially a North American based European company. It was Benz that pushed for Dodge to get their shit together and start making decent cars. Actually Dodge/ used to own Lamborghini in the early 1990's, and it was Lamborghini that designed the RT-10 Viper engine. ;)
Actually, the Chrysler ME-412 is an absolutly incredible car, I wouldn't be ONE BIT suprised if its even faster then the Veyron. But I havn't heard of any plans for its release. :( But its estimated price tag is a VERY modest $250k USD.

A bit of a break down that I know most people know...

Mercedes: owns Maybach, Smart,
Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep
GM: owns Saab, Saturn, Pontiac, Hummer, Chevrolet (and a few others I think)
Toyota: owns Scion, Lexus
Nissan: owns Infinity

I forget who owns Ferrari

I think Ford is doing fine, actually I drove the CEO of Ford Canada, and the company is making great headway. Ford of the US, isn't doing so hot, but like I say: Ford Canada is doing great, their gaining marketshare quite a bit.

Who owns the remaing 66% of Mazda anyway? or are they just "self owned" for the rest of the way?

Who else owns Saab? besides GM?

topmade
05-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah if you really dig deep enough there are really just a few big names that own everything else. Just because a company is doing bad does not mean they are going broke. If they say they lost 100 million this year, this is only a comparison of the year before when they made 800 million and only made 700 million this year.

TurboMedic
05-22-2006, 11:28 AM
VW owns Bentley....not BMW

XylathaneGTR
05-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Isn't Ferrari "self-owned?" They also own Maserati

Hakkola
05-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Mercedes does NOT own Rolls Royce, BMW does, or did... LOL, I don't remember who owns it now but I know it's not mercedes.

Ford has problems with unions and having to pay out large pensions, that's where the struggle to be a profitable company is coming from.

Audi- VW - Porsche are together.

Here's a list as of March 2004 I'm sure there have been some changes however...

BMW owns:
-BMW
-Mini
-Rolls Royce

Daimler/Chrysler owns:
-AMC (brand discontinued -- Chrysler bought AMC primarily for the Jeep brand which was owned by AMC)
-Chrysler
-Dodge
-Eagle (brand discontinued)
-Hyundai (Daimler/Chrysler only owns 10% --13 May 04 changes!)
-Jeep
-Maybach
-Mercedes-Benz
-Plymouth (brand discontinued)
-Smart

Fiat owns:
-Alfa Romeo
-Ferrari
-Fiat
-Lancia
-Maserati

Ford owns:
-Aston Martin
-Ford
-Jaguar
-Land Rover (bought from BMW)
-Lincoln
-Mazda (Ford owns 33% of Mazda)
-Mercury
-Volvo cars

Fuji Heavy Industries owns:
-Subaru

General Motors owns:
-Buick
-Cadillac
-Chevrolet
-Daewoo (GM owns 44%)
-Fiat (GM has decided to divorce itself from Fiat as of Feb '05, but will retain 10% ownership.)
-GMC
-Holden
-Hummer
-Oldsmobile (brand discontinued)
-Opel
-Pontiac
-Saab
-Saturn
-Suzuki (2.5%, from 20%)
-Vauxhall

Honda owns:
-Acura
-Honda

Hyundai owns:
-Hyundai
-Kia

Isuzu owns:
-Isuzu
(Mitsubishi Corp., Itochu Corp. and Mizuho Corporate Bank owns part of Isuzu.)

Nissan owns:
-Infiniti
-Nissan
-Renault (Nissan owns 15%)

PSA Peugeot Citroen owns:
-Citroen
-Peugeot

Porsche owns:
-Porsche
-VW (20%)

Renault owns:
-Nissan (Renault owns 44%)

Toyota owns:
-Daihatsu (~51%)
-Fuji Heavy Industries -- Subaru (Toyota owns ~20%. Toyota bought this from GM in late 2005. )
-Lexus
-Scion
-Toyota

Volkswagen owns:
-Audi
-Bentley
-Bugatti
-Lamborghini
-SEAT
-Skoda
-Volkswagen

R!zz0
05-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Ford has problems with unions and having to pay out large pensions, that's where the struggle to be a profitable company is coming from.

I guess Ford and GM both having the same problems.

Hakkola
05-22-2006, 11:53 AM
I think it was GM with the bigger problems then, my knowledge of American companies isn't so great.

I do know that GM was offering to buy out pensions up front, for around 200 000 or so depending on how long they were with the company, paying more up front but saving in the long run. Those are pretty desperate measures...

Tik-Tok
05-22-2006, 11:53 AM
It's always the unions, I have 7 relatives who live in Windsor, 3 work for Ford, 4 for GMC. ALL of them agree they get paid an obscene amount for what their jobs entail, and their pensions are astronomical. The best thing either of them could do is force chapter 11, the union agreements would be out the door.

I would feel sorry for the employs, but would you rather take a 15% pay/health benefits cut, or be out of a job altogether?

barbarian
05-22-2006, 12:16 PM
They're especially doing bad in the US plants. See this article:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060522.RAUTOS22/TPStory/Business