PDA

View Full Version : mercedez benz 230/320 kompressor

2.2vtec
05-22-2006, 04:30 PM
What are you guys thoughts on these cars? I know the difference is engine size between the 230 and 320 but they look like pretty good convertiables, and the used price is not bad at all. Lets hear your thoughts on reliablility, comfort, speed etc.

Hakkola
05-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Kompressor just means supercharger. Seems as though you're asking about the SLK though. ;)

Great cars. Speed is good on the 320, 32 amg has a 0-60 of 4.6 so it's real good. :thumbsup:

230 is kinda slow...

2.2vtec
05-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Yes I'm asking about the SLK.

Neil4Speed
05-22-2006, 06:38 PM
I hate to stereotype, and owners should know this better. But I would say that Mercedes Quality from say around 1997 up has been pretty shoddy, and for that reason, something to look at as far as reliablity goes. I am not speaking on this particular car, however on the brand in General. JD Power reports speak for themselves, consistantly below average.

Its a shame, because the older ones were amazing.

Mitsu3000gt
05-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Mercedes quality is near top notch - talk to owners and don't listen to JD Power and Associates... What you should understand about JD Power and Associates, is that it is a whole bunch of old guys who are obsessed with caddy's and lincolns or anything american. Which is why the extremely low quality/high markup cars such as caddy's and lincolns which have cavilier interiors/parts and are covered in plastic somehow always get the higher initial quality ratings. Any idiot who sits in say a BMW and then a Buick within 5 seconds can tell you which is higher quality. Those companies also make more money off of their product when they sell one to a customer than just about any other manufactuer because they cheap out everywhere usually with plastic. Anyone with eyes, IMO, can see the difference between the build quality in a BMW or AUDI vs. a lincoln or buick, both which are rated higher than the germans and even acura/lexus. Maybe that is why GM and FORD sales are hurting so bad lately, and why they advertise so much. When's the last time you saw a BMW/AUDI/Mercedes commercial? All they need is for someone to look at their car to see that it is the better choice, they have very few commercials and advertisements and are all thriving financially.

Nothing important should break on the mercedes (drive train stuff) but what you might notice over time is the little stuff and the gadgets failing or needing replacement.

The SLK 230 and 320 are slow IMO, the SLK 32 AMG is good for about a 5.0 sec 0-60 time but is very expensive.

I also would reconsider a convertible for calgary, because in +25 or +30 weather, its WAY cooler with the top up and A/C on. That being said, it is a hard top convertible so its the way to go if you want a convertible no matter what.

Mark