PDA

View Full Version : Where To Go For Custom Exhaust?

n0torious
05-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Hey All!

I have a 1973 Cadillac Fleetwood with a 472 7.7L engine.

I recently just purchased a set of Sanderson Blockhugger Headers for my car. I have a bad exhaust leak from the exhaust manifold as of right now. I took my car to my local mechanic here in Airdrie and he told me that it looks like 2 of the Manifold bolts have either fallen out or broken off into the bolt holes.

That causes a lot of extra work because now I need the bolts drilled out.

Either way, I'm looking for a great exhaust company in Calgary that will be able to put my headers on and route duel exhaust out the rear end of my car. I would provide the mufflers and headers and even the pipe if needed, but I need someone to do the rest including drilling out the snapped bolts if that's the case.

Does anyone know of anyone that can do this for a reasonable price?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

- Evan

http://www.evan-interactive.com/nexopia/nexopia-mycar.gif

M_K_3
05-22-2006, 07:01 PM
carline! for any exhaust work!

dave101
05-22-2006, 07:05 PM
damn.....a 7.7l?? that things a beast

lamp_shade_2000
05-22-2006, 07:13 PM
I dont think carline will install headers. I called to inquire a couple months back and they said they wouldnt. But they for sure do great piping.

n0torious
05-22-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by dave101
damn.....a 7.7l?? that things a beast

Your damn right it's a beast. Now I want it to roar like a beast...

Carline? I've never heard of them but i'll give them a call. Anyone else?

Hollywood
05-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
I dont think carline will install headers. I called to inquire a couple months back and they said they wouldnt. But they for sure do great piping.

Nope carline said there is not enough money to be made installing headers.

n0torious
05-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

Nope carline said there is not enough money to be made installing headers.

Damn. I want a place that can do it all. I work at Napa Auto Parts here in Airdrie and I have about 20 shops that will install the headers for a fair price but I want it all done at one place but none of the shops around here do any piping....

n0torious
05-23-2006, 08:17 AM
*Bump* Anyone else?

j0nblayz
05-23-2006, 08:42 AM
minute muffler on macleod and little past canyon meadows on the right hand side south bound. Jeff(owner) does amazing work, he did both of my previous cars, custom work was amazing, and real good price too.

Mitsu3000gt
05-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Go somewhere that can mandrel bend you an exhaust, you don't want a crush ben't exhaust unless your only concern is the lowest price possible.

Mark

JspecB16
05-23-2006, 11:10 AM
I've said it before and i'll say it again. Rapid Brake and Muffler right by chinook train station. Exhaust guy's name is rod and IMO is the best in Calgary. Did my last 3 cars, on my current car he did full custom piping with 2 resinators in the line , installed a short shifter, and headers for $400.00

How can you go wrong with this guy?

P.S. He does great work, muffler doesn't shake at all.

Mitsu3000gt
05-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by JspecB16
I've said it before and i'll say it again. Rapid Brake and Muffler right by chinook train station. Exhaust guy's name is rod and IMO is the best in Calgary. Did my last 3 cars, on my current car he did full custom piping with 2 resinators in the line , installed a short shifter, and headers for $400.00

How can you go wrong with this guy?

P.S. He does great work, muffler doesn't shake at all.

Does he mandrel bend the exhaust? or crush bend?

Mark

j0nblayz
05-23-2006, 01:49 PM
minute muffler does mandrel bending.

n0torious
05-23-2006, 04:58 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Minute Muffler on 17th said they would do it for around a grand and that's if it takes 4 hours to drill out the old bolts and install the headers. The exhaust itself would be about $600.00. I would say it's a good deal. If anyone else knows of any other places that will do as good of a job for cheap then let me know. Otherwise I'll probably just go with Minute Muffler.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Hollywood
05-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by j0nblayz
minute muffler does mandrel bending.

Are you sure? I dont think they do, in fact, I don't think anyone in the city has a mendrel bender.

They have cruch benders at most places, some use sand to make the crush less noticable.

j0nblayz
05-23-2006, 05:30 PM
thats what jeff the owner of minute muffler told me, he mendrel bent my pipes when i did my old civic and my old cat back exhaust for my bmw. You should give minute muffler in avenida/shawnessy a call and see if he can do it for cheaper, you never know.

Honda_002
05-23-2006, 05:38 PM
advantage in cochrane! they have done all my exhaust and they do a great job everytime:thumbsup:

glennc
05-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by M_K_3
carline! for any exhaust work!

Damn straight. I got my exhaust for my civic, pipes and install for 130 dollars.

And carline mandrel bends. Crunch bending is sooooooo 1999. LOL.

lbrowne
05-23-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by j0nblayz
minute muffler on macleod and little past canyon meadows on the right hand side south bound. Jeff(owner) does amazing work, he did both of my previous cars, custom work was amazing, and real good price too.

Another vote for this place, great work and Jeff is top notch.

Hollywood
05-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by glennc

Damn straight. I got my exhaust for my civic, pipes and install for 130 dollars.

And carline mandrel bends. Crunch bending is sooooooo 1999. LOL.

I dont think they do. Im sure they just buy the bends like everyone else. Mandrel machines are really pricy.

glennc
05-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

I dont think they do. Im sure they just buy the bends like everyone else. Mandrel machines are really pricy.

My exhaust tube is 1 peice with mandrel bends.

gp36912
05-23-2006, 11:00 PM
i think my old boss has a machine that does mandrel bends, i have to check to make sure though, but i'll msg tommorow or something if it is

legendboy
05-24-2006, 08:16 AM
FYI no exhaust shops in calgary have mandrel benders afaik. just because their benders don't leave ripples on the inside of the bend doesn't mean its mandrel. the benders they use are hydraulic exhaust tubing benders. the machine bends the tubing over a mandrel, which is a crush bend.

a true mandrel bend is when tubing is drawn around a mandrel

if you guys look at your carline bent type exhausts, say you got 2.5" all the way back, where the tubing bends 45deg+ the diameter will go down to 2.25" or maybe even smaller.

there is one place in town that do mandrel bending: Advanced Bending Technologies 720-8242

but get ready to bend over!

glennc
05-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Well, the bending I speak of is still done by a power machine where the tubing is forced around a form.

Dunno if its the same.

legendboy
05-24-2006, 08:32 AM
it is not the same

glennc
05-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
it is not the same

Im not fluent in bending. My apologies. :rofl:

n0torious
05-24-2006, 04:57 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. As of right now, the type of bends I'll be getting isn't really a huge deal to me. Either way, I've learned a lot. Thanks guys.

Hollywood
05-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
FYI no exhaust shops in calgary have mandrel benders afaik. just because their benders don't leave ripples on the inside of the bend doesn't mean its mandrel. the benders they use are hydraulic exhaust tubing benders. the machine bends the tubing over a mandrel, which is a crush bend.

a true mandrel bend is when tubing is drawn around a mandrel

if you guys look at your carline bent type exhausts, say you got 2.5" all the way back, where the tubing bends 45deg+ the diameter will go down to 2.25" or maybe even smaller.

there is one place in town that do mandrel bending: Advanced Bending Technologies 720-8242

but get ready to bend over!

Originally posted by glennc

Im not fluent in bending. My apologies. :rofl:

I knew it!!! Now bow down to my inifinate wisdom worthless peasant!! For I now am the true grandmaster wizard in all of Grey skull!!:D

glennc
05-25-2006, 01:45 AM
I shant be taken by thy dark lord.

Peaseant rebellion.

cocoabrova
05-25-2006, 04:18 AM
Try Rick's Carline Muffler in the NE, behind Canadian Tire, I've been going there for 15 years:thumbsup:

glennc
05-25-2006, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
Try Rick's Carline Muffler in the NE, behind Canadian Tire, I've been going there for 15 years:thumbsup:
Thats the one im talking about. Good people, good fast work.