PDA

View Full Version : How to remove waterspots?

andres_mt
05-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows a good way to remove waterspots. In my case they seem to be well on there, they can't just be removed by simply washing/scrubbing. TIA

EnRich
05-23-2006, 11:21 AM
hand dry the car? Some places have that refined water or whatever that you spray on for the final touch.. seems to do a good job... if you have a black car like mine, I would strongly recommend you dry once with a wet cloth, followed by the dry one... this prevents scratchs (swirls)

KKY
05-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Try using clay to remove waterspots. If that doesn't work, try some cleaner/polish or cleaner/wax.

Mitsu3000gt
05-23-2006, 01:04 PM
If you dry your car with anything other than a high quality waffle weave towel or an auto dry system, you are making swirls. Also always dry in the same way air flows over the car to make the marks less visible if you must use a towel.

For your waterspots, if they are actually hard water spots, a dilluted vinegar/water solution works amazingly. That is what people use to get water spots off their boat hulls. If that doesn't work, wash your car, use a clay bar all over it, and then apply a good finishing polish via machine and then seal it up with a good wax or sealant. Polish will for sure get rid of them, just be careful what polish you use as some of them have alot more cutting power than others.

Mark

andres_mt
05-23-2006, 05:35 PM
^ How exactly do you use those clay bars? I've never used clay before.

KKY
05-23-2006, 11:11 PM
claying direction here:
http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=14

andres_mt
05-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Thanks KKY.

7thgenvic
05-23-2006, 11:46 PM
comming from a guy who does this daily.... use a good sealer/wax if you want to get rid of those nasty waterspots, and handwash/hand dry your car...

get a water blade, best investment money can buy

Mitsu3000gt
05-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by andres_mt
^ How exactly do you use those clay bars? I've never used clay before.

Wash your car, as they are not to be used on a dirty surface. If your drop them on the ground, throw it out. Rub the clay all over your car, until it is totally smooth. As the clay gets dirty, just pull and fold it to a new surface. To make sure you did a good job, put your hand in a plastic bag and run your fingers over the car - it should be 100% smooth. ALWAYS wax/seal after you clay your car. Clay is also the first step before you polish and do the whole detail process.

Mark