PDA

View Full Version : Clutch / Flywheel

WALKER
05-23-2006, 02:33 PM
I have just recently moved to Calgary and am not familiar with all the shops around town to get work done at and am looking for advice.

I am wanting to get an ACT Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel and am wanting to get it installed. Is there a good place in town that can get good prices on the parts and charge a reasonable price for the install? or would I better off ordering the parts myself and then taking it somewhere to install? If I go the route of ordering myself and somewhere to install, suggestions as to the best place to order the parts and a good shop to install the clutch/flywheel.

Or anybody on the site that has a shop or garage and tools and has done clutch/flywheel installs before that I could pay to help me with it.

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

vietdood
05-23-2006, 05:04 PM
try buying your clutch/flywheel off ebay. if you don't trust ebay then go with jdmwest.ca. he's local and the cheapest i found in the city.

GTS Jeff
05-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Yes, jdmwest.ca is good. However, don't get an ACT clutch and don't get a Fidanze flywheel.

Instead, get an Exedy clutch and some sort of chromoly flywheel instead.

Primer_Drift
05-24-2006, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Instead, get an Exedy clutch and some sort of chromoly flywheel instead.

Solid advice, Daiken and Toda FTW

Toda chromo flywheels (http://www.todaracing.com/products/toyota/flywheel.html)

Exedy product guide (http://www.exedyusa.com/catalogs/product/Section%201%20-Applications.pdf)

Tuner1
05-24-2006, 07:54 AM
We sell ACT and Fidanza as well as Spec, Clutch Masters, Exedy, etc so give us a try if you are still looking for the parts.

FYI I have used Fidanza aluminum flywheels in my last two cars and they have worked flawlessly :thumbsup:

Rob

WALKER
05-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks for all the posts.

Rob, I sent you an email requesting a quote.

Guys can you please explain further why not to get ACT or Fidanza, do you have bad experiences with them?

I have done a lot of research on my car and the best clutch with proven success for the turbo build I will be doing is with the ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate and Street Disc. There are a few other 6GC's running with that clutch and haven't had a problem.

As for the flywheel, I honestly haven't formed any opinions either way. One concern I would have with a cromoly is it may be too light and I am not sure of how strong it is. Will have to research a little more into this. Looking at the link you sent me though they don't make one for my car, 5SFE.

If you could go into a little more detail about your reasoning that would be great.

Thanks.

GTS Jeff
05-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by WALKER
Thanks for all the posts.

Rob, I sent you an email requesting a quote.

Guys can you please explain further why not to get ACT or Fidanza, do you have bad experiences with them?

I have done a lot of research on my car and the best clutch with proven success for the turbo build I will be doing is with the ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate and Street Disc. There are a few other 6GC's running with that clutch and haven't had a problem.

As for the flywheel, I honestly haven't formed any opinions either way. One concern I would have with a cromoly is it may be too light and I am not sure of how strong it is. Will have to research a little more into this. Looking at the link you sent me though they don't make one for my car, 5SFE.

If you could go into a little more detail about your reasoning that would be great.

Thanks.

I've driven cars with both ACT and Exedy race clutches and the Exedy ones OWWWN the ACT clutches in terms of driveability without sacrificing clamping force.

As for flywheels, there's no doubt that chromoly is better than aluminum. They're stronger than aluminum and lighter = better. The only advantage to aluminum is that it's slightly cheaper than chromoly. IMO, if you're going to spend the money taking everything apart and putting it back together, an extra couple hundred bucks isn't a big deal.

aluminum - some say it's BAD, some say it's ok, who knows...
chromoly - everyone says it's THABOMBSHITYAHURD

Primer_Drift
05-24-2006, 06:25 PM
If you're using aluminium, better grab a scattershield. Exploding flywheel + your face = no fun.. my $0.02 :D

air_mikey
05-24-2006, 06:34 PM
What are the advantages of a flywheel? and are they worth the money for a NA car?

GTS Jeff
05-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by air_mikey
What are the advantages of a flywheel? and are they worth the money for a NA car? A lighter flywheel takes a few pounds of rotating mass off your engine. It results in decreasing drivetrain losses for better initial acceleration, more responsive revving for better revmatching, faster rev drops so fast shifts are smoother, and overall smoooother operation. One of the most substantial mods I've experienced for sure.

gpomp
05-25-2006, 12:52 AM
i don't like the feel of act clutches. i prefer exedy.

WALKER
05-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Well thanks for all your input. I have researched it a little more and it looks like my only option for a flywheel on the 5SFE is an aluminum one. Probably will go that route. Have also read a bunch of other posts from people running the aluminum fidanza on the 5SFE and haven't had any problems.

As for the ACT clutch I think it is the best fit for my application. I am going to be going with the heavy duty pressure plate, I have heard a lot of complaints about the extreme. As for the disc I will be going with the street disc and not a 4/6 pad race disc that I have heard lots of problems about.

But thanks for all your advice and I guess I will have to see how it feels once its installed, then I can form my own opinions. Right now though I am sure anything will be better than my stock clutch that isn't working properly!