PDA

View Full Version : Where to get good meat

kaput
05-24-2006, 09:14 AM

DeeK
05-24-2006, 09:36 AM
I like the chicken breasts from Costco.

Steaks and other beef from the butcher (Gour-mart in Bowness is my fave).

Anything else and deli meats from sobeys.

It really doesnt matter a whole lot.
Where you get it doesn't really affect quality. What type of meat you get does matter (sirloin, ribeye, new york strip, etc).

It's also all in how you cook it.

elementone
05-24-2006, 10:15 AM
ive heard tha the superstore place where restarurants and smaller stores get their meat is good..
i cant remember exactly where it is... its super cheap and the meat is good.. gf's mom get it there.

broken_legs
05-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Superstores meat is gross!!!

I've seen some pretty questionable cuts of meat there, and I've bought meat there before and always been disappointed.

COSTCO is teh best place to buy chicken. You can buy a 4kg box of frozen Chicken breasts there for 29.99. The meat is good, just gotta thaw it out in the microwave before it hits the bbq or what have you.

Costco also has wicked deals on steaks, but you have to buy a lot thats the only problem, cant just buy one steak.

I find that Safeway (downtown) is gross too. I've been tehre when they had chicken on sale for half off. they put the half off stickers over teh exp date (the day of the sale) and all of the chicken had a nice yellow tinge to it!!

I havent been in a while but the coop downtown always had reasonably priced excellent cuts of meat.

DeeK
05-24-2006, 10:47 AM
I try to stay away from frozen chicken breasts.. I go for the ones in the package that are cooled. I guess I'm just picky that way.

Yea costco has good steaks as well..

hukgwai
05-24-2006, 04:50 PM
my fiance advises her clients (www.atyourpeak.ca) to go to costco and buy eye of round roasts and cut them into steaks. it's usually around $6 to $8 per kg, which makes it cheaper than fresh chicken breast with roughly the same protein content. triple a beef and cheaper than superstore.

davidI
05-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Detours...

err, I like costco. ;)

Hollywood
05-24-2006, 05:54 PM
COSTCO BY FAR! STUPIDSTORE IS THE WORST.

gatorade
06-01-2006, 12:44 AM
one of my friends went on a steak all day diet and he ended up getting fat

GTS Jeff
06-01-2006, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by DeeK
Where you get it doesn't really affect quality. What type of meat you get does matter (sirloin, ribeye, new york strip, etc).

It's also all in how you cook it. Superstore chicken drumsticks come with skin + feathers still partially attached.

Save-on-foods drumsticks....:drool: :drool: :drool:

nonlinear
06-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by DeeK

It really doesnt matter a whole lot.

it totally depends on where you get it. a small indie butcher will have much better, fresher, safer meat than a large factory operation like safeway.

one example is how you can't eat raw beef from safeway, because the butchers are so sloppy they cut into the intestines and get E. coli all over the meat, which makes you sick. a good butcher is careful not to puncture intestinal tract and gives you safe beef.

same thing with sushi, you can't just go to safeway and pick up a slab of fish or you'll get sick and die :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

dericer
06-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Costco is by far the best quality as far as supermarkets go.

But nothing beats Dominion meats as far as local butchers go.

IMO of course