PDA

View Full Version : GM Freezing Gas Prices

Gripenfelter
05-24-2006, 09:29 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/23/news/companies/gm_autos.reut/index.htm
GM offers $1.99 gas in Florida, California
In effort to capture buyers, automaker says it will cap prices for those who buy certain SUV or mid-size car models.
May 23, 2006: 7:14 PM EDT

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. said Tuesday it would subsidize gasoline purchases in Florida and California to boost sales in those key markets.

GM (Research) said it would cap the price of gas at $1.99 a gallon for new buyers of some of its 2006 and 2007 full-size sport utilities and mid-size cars in those states.

The gasoline credit would be based on a consumer's estimated monthly fuel usage.

Consumers would be credited for the difference between the average price per gallon of premium fuel and the $1.99 price, adjusted for the miles they drive, GM said.

The credit would be applied monthly to a pre-paid credit card and would be valid until the end of 2007, with no limits on mileage, GM said.

For example, GM said a California resident who buys a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe and drives it 1,000 miles a month, would see an estimated $103.75 monthly credit. A Floridian who buys a 2006 Buick LaCrosse and drives the same distance would get a monthly credit of about $60, GM said.

The incentive program comes after GM vowed to avoid the sweeping discounts that boosted sales last year but cut into profitability and hurt resale values for its cars.

GM has lagged in some faster-growth U.S. markets such as Florida and California.

"This incentive is likely to get the attention of many consumers," said Jesse Toprak, director of industry analysis for Edmunds.com. "The actual dollar savings amounts to about $1,000 per vehicle."

GM's average incentive spending had averaged $3,050 per vehicle through April, below the level of spending by Ford Motor Co. (Research) and Chrysler Group, according to Autodata Corp.

Vehicles eligible for the fuel rebate include the 2006 and 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban, GMC Yukon and Yukon XL, and the HUMMER H2 and H3, the company said.

asuth077
05-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Gripenfelter
The incentive program comes after GM vowed to avoid the sweeping discounts that boosted sales last year but cut into profitability and hurt resale values for its cars.

GM has lagged in some faster-growth U.S. markets such as Florida and California.

Whatever helps boosts sales numbers is their primary concern it appears. I don't think discounts are the answer for them or any of the other struggling domestic companies.

QuasarCav
05-24-2006, 09:36 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/24/gms-newest-incentive-1-99-gallon-gasoline-in-florida-and-cal/

The gas credit applies to the Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, Monte Carlo, and Impala; the GMC Yukon, Hummer's H2 and H3, the Cadillac SRX, Pontiac's Grand Prix, and Buick's new Lucerne. GM claims that the vehicles were selected for their "outstanding fuel economy and great consumer appeal".

I dont know about you guys but these vehicles aren't that economical.

benyl
05-24-2006, 10:41 AM
desperate times call for desperate measures.

Xtrema
05-24-2006, 11:35 AM
Those are the 2 states where import rules and few need a truck.

And it's only for a year and a half. With energy prices falling, I don't see much saving here. But it doesn't seem to have a limit.... so I can use this card for my fleet of cars and enjoy $2 gas?

viffer
05-24-2006, 11:58 AM
How about designing more fuel efficient cars instead of building huge useless gas guzzlers then discounting gas to make it affordable for the consumer to drive the stupid thing??? hahah what kind of backward ass thinking is that.

heavyD
05-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by viffer
How about designing more fuel efficient cars instead of building huge useless gas guzzlers then discounting gas to make it affordable for the consumer to drive the stupid thing??? hahah what kind of backward ass thinking is that.

Ha Ha. That's why GM & Ford are in trouble. They mortgaged the future on trucks & SUV's while focusing very little on cars. Now that people don't want gas guzzlers like they did in the cheap gas era of the 90's, they have nothing to offer as their cars are five years behind the competition.

I'm an SUV hater so this is music to my ears. The early 90's provided the best sporty cars ever in a five year period but it all dried up because people had to have these massive, gas guzzling, less reliable, trucks & SUV's just to run around town. Hopefull carmakers will start focusing back on cars again.

95EagleAWD
05-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by viffer

Most Americans don't want fuel economy or small cars...

The States has been and always will be V-8 country. It was back in the sixties and seventies, then it died off in the eighties when they stopped building big V-8 sedans.

So guess what?

V-8 trucks and SUVs. Now they're back to V-8, RWD sedans as well (and booyah for that).

GM and Ford can build small fuel effecient vehicles. They already do. They sell millions of 'em in Europe.

GM and Ford suck for not building the right cars, but for not knowing how to properly run a business.

Hollywood
05-25-2006, 07:09 PM
I love my V8.:love:

But I agree the SUV trend is dying now.