PDA

View Full Version : Is modifying your car really worth it?

rc2002
05-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Just wanted to know what the general consensus is as far as modifying cars goes. Modifying is really losing it's appeal for me and I'm not sure if it's because I'm getting old, or if the car scene is just shifting in that direction.

To be honest I don't see the point in buying a car and dumping money into it when you can just buy a nicer car to begin with. I mean sure you're customizing the car to your likings, but you're spending money that you'll never recover. And for what? Sure you might be able to make your car faster and handle better but at what expense? In the end you're paying big money to have a less reliable car with a harsher ride. A lot of times you're not even gaining much performance either - is it really worth it to remove your catalytic converter or A/C and sacrifice your own comfort for a couple of extra ponies?

Then there's all the stress and downtime it takes to get your car running properly, and the issue of what happens if your car ever gets stolen orinto an accident - are you covered? And also all the possible tickets that you can get for having "illegal" modifications.

Just wanted to hear some thoughts on this. I realize this is a car enthusiast site and the poll results might be heavy towards the pro-modifying side. But I feel that for the most part manufacturers have spent millions developing these cars and parts, why change out those parts for cheaper aftermarket ones?

shakalaka
05-24-2006, 10:48 AM
I personally quite like modifying cars! But to be honest, I rather just buy a nicer more expensive car to begin with! Rather than buying a cheaper car and putting money on it! But it doesn't always work like that since you might not have enough money to begin with and only have enough to buy a cheaper car, but then then you keep modifying as you make money! If I have enough money to begin with, I much rather buy a nicer more expensive car.

skandalouz_08
05-24-2006, 10:49 AM
When you look at the money side of it its definitely not worth it at all. When you want to sell it you're losing huge amounts of money. On the other side its more of a hobby to modify your car, its a very expensive hobby but that's not going to stop people from doing it.

Eleanor
05-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I personally quite like modifying cars! But to be honest, I rather just buy a nicer more expensive car to begin with! Rather than buying a cheaper car and putting money on it! But it doesn't always work like that since you might not have enough money to begin with and only have enough to buy a cheaper car, but then then you keep modifying as you make money! If I have enough money to begin with, I much rather buy a nicer more expensive car.

:werd: I would like to buy an M3 or an AMG, but for most people we can't afford it. So instead you buy a cheaper car and make it your own. You have a lot more pride when you make the car yourself rather then just throwing money at someone.

Dren
05-24-2006, 10:55 AM
totally depends on the car itself. if its worth it. Modding a K-car....no way..

CrvenaZvezda
05-24-2006, 10:56 AM
I personally like modifyin my car, even tho it is money out of your pocket that will probably never end up back in your pocket, you must admit when you get that new performance part or accsesory and you are about to open it well shit its just like christmas morning lol. and there is nothing better than putting that new part into your baby and than taking it for a spin...

So YES its worth it if you love your car!!! :thumbsup:

calgarygts
05-24-2006, 11:00 AM
I think a lot of modifying comes down to enjoyment of the hobby and personal satisfaction. I really enjoy taking the motor apart, adding parts, screwing around with the stereo, etc. To me that's fun, sometimes in a painfully aggravating kind of way. The pride that I feel when I'm done detailing my car, or finish installing a full blown stereo or some go fast parts in the drivetrain makes it worthwhile to me. That being said, it's the probably worst possible way to spend your money other than getting wasted at the bar. Once the money is spent it's pretty much down the toilet. But we only live once so what the hell....can't wait to get that new supercharger!

thinmyster
05-24-2006, 11:00 AM
I voted no but will continue to do so

New Wheels and Engine swap should be done by the end of the week!

Aleks
05-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Financially it makes no sense whatsoever.

However my last car was fun for me at the time. Beating an M3 at the track was a rush, meeting lots of great guys at RC and thru building the thing was awsome. Before it I couldnt change an air filter, now I can do most of the routine stuff myself.

I like to think I am done with that phase but like others said It's a hobby, i love cars and, if financially I am able to, I will probably build a fun car at some point in the future.

cujo_cjc
I sorta feel that way now too. When I first got my GSR I started to mod it that summer. Then I just didnt think it would be worth it anymore. I had to use money for other things and when I thought about it, I was gonna be selling it in a year or so and it just wasnt worth it to dump money into it.

I still dont mind doing minor things here and there. But I dont think I could ever bring myself to dump say...5-10 g's to turbo my car or anything along that nature. I would much rather just save up and get a better car. :dunno:

4doorj
money wise... no way is it worth it!
but i love modifying my car!

i tried to get out of the scene once but got bite by the tuner bug all over again

Xtrema
05-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Only worth it as a hobby. And just like any hobbies, it's just something to do, very little return on monetary value.

Yes the urge reduces as you get older and start laughing at riced up cars. And the fact is that cars ain't boring like a decade ago. Sometime it already look custom staight from factory.

And Yes, I would rather spend $60K on a SLK than a riced up Civic.

bspot
05-24-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm starting to feel the same way. I've had my car for a year and really done dick all to it besides tint the windows. I thought I'd be all over the stage kits when they came out, but meh. I can never keep a car for more than two years anyways, so whats the point? Might as well save up for the next one. I do think if I won a crap load of money I would buy something nice and have a project car to dink around with and dump money in and not worry about it blowing up, not running for a while and all that stuff.

heavyD
05-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Depends on your age & financial situation. I've poured in a fair bit of money into a couple of Hondas and a couple of DSM's and while they were all fun I look back on thousands & thousands of dollars that could have been better spent on things like investments, furniture, appliances, etc.

I will only do basic mods from now on and if the car is N/A I may consider no mods at all as on a Honda for instance it's a complete waste of money as the cars are pretty well maxed out from the factory. On a turbo car extra HP is easier to attain with bolt-on mods so if you want a little more power it may be worth it for you. On my SRT-4 all I've done is mopar stage 2 w/toys, turbo back exhaust, & wheels and that's about all I will do. The car is much faster than stock yet retains all the stock driveability which I like as sometimes when you mod hardcore, the car can turn into a chore to drive whch takes some of the fun out of it. Plus you never recoupe even close to the amount spent when you sell.

Stuff like wheels I don't really consider a mod as it's more customization to personal taste as well as it individualizes it from everyone else that has the same car.

topmade
05-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by thinmyster
I voted no but will continue to do so

New Wheels and Engine swap should be done by the end of the week!

:werd:

Still gathering parts for my project and at the same time realizing that with the money already spent I could of sold the car and bought a nicer one. But I pretty much have all the pieces now and don't have much more to get so what the hell hopefully it will be turbo'ed before snow hits the ground this year.

Anton
05-24-2006, 11:12 AM
I voted yes. To me, it's a hobby and my passion. I don't think I'd ever be able to buy a car and leave it stock, even if it is an expensive one.

As Aco (CrvenaZvezda) said, there's no better feeling to a car enthusiast then to be frustrated for a day taking rusted bolts off your pride and installing a new part and then taken a rip down the street.

HRD2PLZ
05-24-2006, 11:13 AM
I have never really been into totally modifying my vehicles, I have done things like tint, audio, exhaust, intakes... but never anything like adding F.I.

I like to modify the vehicle to fit my taste and style. Maybe have it stand out a little more when compared to the same vehicle in stock form. With the 4Runner, I just find myself adding OEM accessories to it... keep it simple :)

dj_honda
05-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Only worth it as a hobby. And just like any hobbies, it's just something to do, very little return on monetary value.

:werd: and by something to do, i mean do it yourself. i get satisfaction out of researching, choosing and buying parts, and then installing them myself and experiencing the direct result. i can not see ANY satisfaction in paying someone to mod the car for you....

i don't ever see myself driving a stock car, unless its a ferrari or something, and even then, there are still mods you can do lol...

FatboyTheHungry
05-24-2006, 11:19 AM
I think everyone needs a hobby, and hobbies don't necessarily make you money. As long as you can afford it, and it keeps you entertained, it is worth it.

clem24
05-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Instead of just trying to modify your car for the street, why not take it to the track? Start out with some SoloII or book track time with your buddies. You'll start modifying your car for performance, and not just looks. That's when you mod for a purpose, and not simply bling.

Everyone here has the right idea: modifying is NOT an investment. It is a hobby and people do it because they like to. It's also much more fun to do the mods yourself instead of taking it to someone else. Doing your own mods, shaving a second or two off your runs: that's rewarding.

R-Audi
05-24-2006, 11:26 AM
I will always get the best car I can with the money...
(as opposed to buying a cheaper car and then have money for mods)
But I am sure I wont be happy with a stock car untill I can afford something truly great.. but then again I am not generally happy having something the same as someone else. And its a hobby.
I think thats the reason you see modded Ferrari's, BMW's, and such..

Xtrema
05-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
On my SRT-4 all I've done is mopar stage 2 w/toys, turbo back exhaust, & wheels and that's about all I will do. The car is much faster than stock yet retains all the stock driveability which I........

go fast parts espeically doesn't appeal much to me anymore. I got into enough trouble with tickets with just 245HP.

Dren
05-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by FatboyTheHungry
I think everyone needs a hobby, and hobbies don't necessarily make you money. As long as you can afford it, and it keeps you entertained, it is worth it.

True, :thumbsup:

pepschnops
05-24-2006, 11:33 AM
mods are alright if your installing them yourself. If you are having your mods installed all at the shop it defeats the purpose. Having a suped up car is something to brag about but at the same time if you want 300 HP in your car and spend 40 grand on mods on a 10 g civic this defeats the purpose as you could jsut buy an STI. Also if you mod your car and try and sell it you have no increased value on the car as very few people will pay a much higher price for a car with mods. If you want the power why don't you just save up for the that car with stock 215 hp rather than blowing money on mods thaty you won't get a return on?

andres_mt
05-24-2006, 11:34 AM
I think it's worth it. Some people just don't have the patience to modify cars which probably means they don't like modifying cars in the first place they just dump money in there car for some other reason. I've seen some people and I'm friends with people that will finish there car and get it running no matter how long it takes or the cost. I've also seen people who try there hardest on the budget they have to make there car better in some way. Some people modify there cars to impress people, others do it for themselves. But for the people who take what they have on a limited budget and beat a rich guy in his stock BMW or whatever I have A LOT of respect for.

Overall it's just a hobby... a very expensive hobby. :cry:

hoamic11
05-24-2006, 11:35 AM
You all makes good points and well it does come down to the person in the end.

But really, is it worth it, I put no, but that doesn't mean i'm just gonna stop it,

As Bob put it, everyone needs a hobby and this is what i do, and enjoy.

JspecB16
05-24-2006, 11:36 AM
This guy ^ has the best answer right on his sig:

BUILT not BOUGHT.

I will say the same thing I said to my dad when he called me an idiot for buying a new Jspec engine and all the rest:

"When you play a round of golf, do you go back to the clubhouse after 18 and ask for your money back?" He told me to get the fuck out of his office.

Long story short, its a hobbie, not an investment.

JspecB16
05-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by JspecB16
This guy ^ has the best answer right on his sig:

BUILT not BOUGHT.

I will say the same thing I said to my dad when he called me an idiot for buying a new Jspec engine and all the rest:

"When you play a round of golf, do you go back to the clubhouse after 18 and ask for your money back?" He told me to get the fuck out of his office.

Long story short, its a hobbie, not an investment.

Appearently people are posting fast, when I wrote "this guy ^" he was right above me. anyway its the guy with that saying as his sig

Honda EXR
05-24-2006, 11:42 AM
I think its worth it. For most people who own a decent car, your car represents who you are. I think it lets you become an individual instead of just "another civic" or whatever your driving.

JspecB16
05-24-2006, 11:44 AM
The question is pretty vague if you ask me. Worth it from a monetary standpoint : NO worth it from a satisfaction standpoint : YES

andres_mt
05-24-2006, 11:45 AM
^ Really good point.

jcrules99
05-24-2006, 11:54 AM
haha i cant help it... love to do it, but hate what it does to my wallet lol

heavyD
05-24-2006, 12:06 PM
worth it from a satisfaction standpoint : YES

Even that is debateable. Some mods dissapoint. Some don't. Some are great initially but down the road you tire of them. In the mid 90's I initially loved the 4-1 race header & catback I put on my B16 Delsol. A year later I grew tires of the noise, shifter shake, and loss of torque and longed for the way it drove stock. Same with my Eclipse. As I poured on the mods leaving less than half the car stock and modded nearly everything, I was left with an empty feeling and a car that lost some of the fun and charm it had before.

As far as installing the mods yourself even that gets old. I still install most mods myself but I don't look back on the days of changing exhausts under a car on blocks, spending an entire saturday swapping a turbo, changing a starter with one hand & a flashlight, etc. and miss it or recall it fondly. I didn't particularily enjoy having to drill tiny a bunch of tiny holes in three PCM connectors (what a joke chrysler) to install mopar S2 or stick my head under my dash with a soldering iron and mess of ECU wires to install an SAFCII in my Eclipse. If anything I do my own installs because it's hard to find mechanics or techs that do better work than myself.

stevieo
05-24-2006, 12:08 PM
imo, its not really worth it, thats cause i hvae little money to start with ahha. but i mean every couple months, adding a new set of wheels or something to your to change the look would be nice. its all subjective, like people said its a hobby, hobbies don't get much return, if at all.

its more for your piece of mind, fun factor, ect.

Tik-Tok
05-24-2006, 12:14 PM
hmmm, my car cost me 33,000, I've put 2,500 in power mods.

So for 35,500, I have a 360hp car with styling exactly the way I like it (the only drawback is it isn't an awd vehicle, but that's ok)

I think it's worth it. Sure I could have boughten a $5,000 car, and put $30,000 worth of mods to it, but I like the new style stangs 1000X more than any from the last 33 years.

Gen4Accord
05-24-2006, 12:19 PM
unless you buy an ugly stock used car on a good deal and do minor stuff like rims mabye tint lowered u might make a bit but as soon as you do real mods like swaps etc your just wasting your money to well have alott of fun haha

Lo)2enz0
05-24-2006, 12:22 PM
I still like modifying to a certain extent. but once my 240sx is gone i am just going to do a system, wheels and just some small things. nothing to crazy any more. After seeing how much it puts you in the whole you realize more about it.

rc2002
05-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Good to see some other people's perspectives on this issue. I think the money issue has now officially been beaten to death. Everyone knows that you're going to lose money on mods. Well almost everyone - there ARE some ridiculous threads in the marketplace from time to time. :P

I agree with heavyD completely. I like experiencing the difference in performance that parts make, I like customizing my car to my taste. But I can't say I enjoy installing things. I've done a lot of my mods myself, but have hated almost every minute of it - it almost never goes smoothly. And it's a kick in the teeth when I've finished modding and then realize that it was better when it was stock (which is the majority of the time). Bottom line is I'm willing to pay good money for something if I think it's worth it but that has rarely happened with mods that I've done.

I say OEM > *

stevieo
05-24-2006, 12:43 PM
oh ya, i know what you mean richard. few times you put on the mod, try it out and you realize what you had before was better. its sort of a kick in the nuts hahah.

blood shed, empty wallet, grease on your face, its all a price you have to pay.

but i mean, sometimes i see cars for sale and its not so bad. sure its already modified but i mean, its a serious cash saver.

if you wanted to turbo your honda lets say, the mod will run you lets say for example $4,000 + the initial cost of your car for lets say $3,000. now you have spent $7,000. but you can find the same car with the mod for about $5,000. sure it may not look exactly the way you want but its a start. you can start parting what you don't like and buying what you do like to make it look to your tastes.

but if i had money in the future, this will still be a hobby of mine, only nicer cars :D

88CRX
05-24-2006, 12:49 PM
I think if your in this hobby for the right reasons there is no reason to regret what you've purchased.

You always see those people that drive super nice modded cars that dont have a clue. They've seen F&F and now thats what they want. They dont care about the scene and they care about is what other think of them... oh, look at me, I'm cool. Having a modded car is "cool" so they get one. They then soon realize what the scene is all about and get out of it after they realize the amount of time and money involved and jump ship.

I dont regret getting my car or any of the mods on it. Its simple. Spend within your means and reseach before you buy, you'll never be disapointed then :thumbsup:

Evo prec
05-24-2006, 12:49 PM
i say modding really isnt worth it any more. Of course modding the hondas i had over the years was worth it when i was young but seriously i think a 21 year old with a modded honda kinda looks funny, but thats just my oppinion i think if you have the money buy something that is at the stage where it doesnt need to be modded but i say wheels are always a given on any car

88CRX
05-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Evo prec
i say modding really isnt worth it any more. Of course modding the hondas i had over the years was worth it when i was young but seriously i think a 21 year old with a modded honda kinda looks funny, but thats just my oppinion i think if you have the money buy something that is at the stage where it doesnt need to be modded but i say wheels are always a given on any car

You do realize that 99.9% of teenagers cannot afford to mod a car till they're 20-25 and out of school with a real job. Not everyone has rich parents that pay for their mods while going to highschool.

I have no reason to every HAVE to own a BMW or a Lexus or just to up my appeared status. Maybe its just me, but I dont get it.

As long as your spending your money on what YOU want then you'll be happy. When you start trying to impress people it's over lol.

Barrington
05-24-2006, 01:00 PM
From a financial point of view it is completely not worth it, it is a money pit that you are not going to see anything out of. On the other hand, it is defiently a hobby/obsession and I know I won't sell my car for a very long time so putting more money into it doesn't seem like the worst idea.

FatboyTheHungry
05-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
I think if your in this hobby for the right reasons there is no reason to regret what you've purchased.
:
I dont regret getting my car or any of the mods on it. Its simple. Spend within your means and reseach before you buy, you'll never be disapointed then :thumbsup:

Well said. :thumbsup:

rc2002
05-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

You always see those people that drive super nice modded cars that dont have a clue. They've seen F&F and now thats what they want. They dont care about the scene and they care about is what other think of them... oh, look at me, I'm cool. Having a modded car is "cool" so they get one. They then soon realize what the scene is all about and get out of it after they realize the amount of time and money involved and jump ship.

^ Some good advice. I think I spent way more than I should have on mods - I probably wouldn't regret it so much if I went with fewer, more inexpensive mods.

haha Ryan, you totally got me with that description though. I'm one of those bandwagon guys that wanted a modified car because everyone else had one. Most of the engines in my cars and mods on my cars were ones that everyone was praising and hyping up. Now after realizing how much time and money is involved, I don't want to be in the scene anymore.

carter_prelude
05-24-2006, 01:22 PM
I think is worth it, you end up with a unique car that looks like no other if you build it right. Also you can have alot of fun with it when your young, but when you get old and rich, I'd just buy a nicer car like a BMW or Lexus, leave it stock and live with it. I find it fun and a graet learning exp. when you do alot of the work on your own, as long as you do it properly. You don't even have to spend alot of money to modify your car. If you spend $2 or $2000 it doesn't matter, if you do it right it'll look great. Its all up to the person really...if you don't like modified cars then don't do it, but if you love looking through web pages filled with candy colored cars and your drooling...then its totally worth it.

eur0
05-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Good to see some other people's perspectives on this issue. I think the money issue has now officially been beaten to death. Everyone knows that you're going to lose money on mods. Well almost everyone - there ARE some ridiculous threads in the marketplace from time to time. :P

I agree with heavyD completely. I like experiencing the difference in performance that parts make, I like customizing my car to my taste. But I can't say I enjoy installing things. I've done a lot of my mods myself, but have hated almost every minute of it - it almost never goes smoothly. And it's a kick in the teeth when I've finished modding and then realize that it was better when it was stock (which is the majority of the time). Bottom line is I'm willing to pay good money for something if I think it's worth it but that has rarely happened with mods that I've done.

I say OEM > *

Buy a car that needs work then haha...I bought my Prelude because it needed tlc. The suspension was shot, the motor was blown, the interior needs work, it has some rust, and the list goes on...

I would expect to spend over 8000 for an SRV lude of the same year so I took all that extra money and started to mod the vehicle to my satisfaction.

I find this is more rewarding then buying a car that is absolutely fine to begin with.

euro_racer
05-24-2006, 01:36 PM
i voted no and obviously it is not worth it but i still continiue to do it on every car i get my hands on small or big modds :D

i tryed to get out of it, but driving a stock car eventually gets to you as soon as you see a modded car that reminds you of the past, you just wanna go back because you just love the feeling you get haha

M_K_3
05-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

:werd: I would like to buy an M3 or an AMG, but for most people we can't afford it. So instead you buy a cheaper car and make it your own. You have a lot more pride when you make the car yourself rather then just throwing money at someone.

:werd: with u on that man, i think its worth it, but to much is to much like 10gs+ i dont think i will ever do that, i like doing small things exhaust, lower, rims, maybe body kit, system nothing over 5gs

4doorj
05-24-2006, 02:21 PM
oh yeah... i definitly think its worth it!!!
everytime i walk away from my car just keep turning back to look at it!
definitly worth it:drool:

max_boost
05-24-2006, 02:36 PM
Just wanted to know what the general consensus is as far as modifying cars goes. Modifying is really losing it's appeal for me and I'm not sure if it's because I'm getting old, or if the car scene is just shifting in that direction.

To be honest I don't see the point in buying a car and dumping money into it when you can just buy a nicer car to begin with.

If you aren't mechanically inclined or have the time and knowledge to source exactly what you want, sometimes it really is better to just buy a more expensive car to start. Even with that said, I'll always like clean mods. I will never get sick of suspension, wheels, kit, nice paint jobs, OEM quality forced induction kits like Comptech etc. That stuff is worth every dollar IMO because it looks PIMP :bigpimp:

I find the bottomless money pits are car owners who constantly strive to get more power out of their cars. So after blowing this, or that, replacing this, upgrading that, then trying to tune it, then it's not fast enough, then doing it again, now that costs a lot of money. haha

GTS Jeff
05-24-2006, 03:15 PM

To be honest I don't see the point in buying a car and dumping money into it when you can just buy a nicer car to begin with. I mean sure you're customizing the car to your likings, but you're spending money that you'll never recover. And for what? Sure you might be able to make your car faster and handle better but at what expense? In the end you're paying big money to have a less reliable car with a harsher ride. A lot of times you're not even gaining much performance either - is it really worth it to remove your catalytic converter or A/C and sacrifice your own comfort for a couple of extra ponies?

Then there's all the stress and downtime it takes to get your car running properly, and the issue of what happens if your car ever gets stolen orinto an accident - are you covered? And also all the possible tickets that you can get for having "illegal" modifications.

Just wanted to hear some thoughts on this. I realize this is a car enthusiast site and the poll results might be heavy towards the pro-modifying side. But I feel that for the most part manufacturers have spent millions developing these cars and parts, why change out those parts for cheaper aftermarket ones?

RIchard, I hear what you're saying and it makes total sense. You're saying, "I want a fast and reliable pimpcar - what's the cheapest and easiest way to do it? Buy a nice car stock." Yes BUT, that doesn't account for all the fun you get out of modding a car from ground up.

rc2002
05-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Fun?!? Hehe, maybe for those who are mechanically inclined. ;)

For me, modding is a fiasco. It usually takes me ages to get things to work properly. I don't think anything has ever gone right the first time for me and I usually end up all stressed out, pulling out all my hair.

Lo)2enz0
05-24-2006, 04:06 PM
ha ha ha, doing work on your car is never fun. i HATE it, but yet i still help other people out.

this is why i didn't want to go into mechanics, i owuld hate every second of my career. personally i would love someone to just install it at a realable price. when i hear how much shops charge to install a cia i just crack up at home much it is.

all i can say is that i enjoy people doing my oil changes, and everyone who has ever installed any aftermarket part knows that there is no such thing as a direct bolt on mod, ha ha ha.

djfob
05-24-2006, 04:18 PM
I thought I was the only person feeling this way. I'm getting sick of maintaining and tweeking the car consistently as opposed to the money spent. I think I'm just getting old but I'd rather be driving something stock. Instead of modding cars i should have bought a house while I could, now looking at the housing market I can't even afford to buy a house in Forest Lawn.:nut:

max_boost
05-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Who keeps count of how much mod money they've spent on their car? That would put most of you into depression. haha Try not to guilt yourself too much ;) I did some mod shopping today, now I can't wait to see them on the car!:thumbsup:

ex1z7
05-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Now, from MY personal point of view, modding is worth it.

now why.. I'm 18, I have a pair of Honda Accords, and I'm certainly not rich =P. I can't go out and buy a BMW M3, a newer Camaro, a type-R integra.. Or anything of that sort.

However, I can look at my Accord and say.. I don't like that, that, or that.. i do like that, and that.. That would look better like this.. And then do it. I can go stick on a different lip, a new bumper.. whatever - but being as un-rich as I am right now, I can't afford to go drop 5 grand on random things to make the car look, handle, and go better - so I have to be more practical.. Painting my stock faded bumper black again from it's faded grey costs like 20 bucks and a few hours, and makes the car look 20x better, but buying a rare Kaminari kit costs 600 and might not fit right.. So I have to do what I can with what I can and not blow money on stupid things.

That, in my oppinion, is how modifications should be done.. and thats how I chose to do mine. Getting H4 housings and bulbs for my 20 year old Honda makes the old ass crappy lights 100x brighter, which is safer cus I can actually see at night with better bulbs.. That's practical, / and / modding. It's the same with say, swapping my carb for an EFI setup - it's modding, but it also gives me more reliabilty, better fuel economy in the long run, more power, it looks better, it's modifying, and it's not expensive..

And I think people putting new bodykits/lips/rims/spoilers/headlights/tail lights/corner lights/tires/suspension/brakes/CAI's/SRI's/upgraded intercoolers.. Everything, is practical if done right... If it's safe and legal it's a great idea ..

What if you're new stock car has great performance, great looks, but can't turn a corner and you don't want to sell it for 5k less then you just bought it, and buy a better car.. ? Put better tires on it .. it's safer, and an overall good modification to do.

If you're modifying your civic by dropping it 2 inches from the ground, widebodying it, putting illegal lights and engine mods on it, then no, it isn't worth it, because you'll be bashing up that 6 grand bodykit on the roads, and you'll get ticketted everytime you see a cop.

but thats just what I think so..

alpha
05-24-2006, 05:00 PM
for me I think that any car I will own will end up being modified. I'm the kind of person that always has something to work on. if I didnt have projects for my car I would go crazy. so even if I had a benz I would be spending even more buying crazy shit for that. sometimes i regret having invested all this time/money/effort into a civic. but when it was bought it was within my means. and now that I've had it a few years, I have a plan for it, and still enjoy modifying it, so until i've done all I want, or give up, its gonna be my baby for better or worse.

+1 for yes, I heart my "modified" honda

b_t
05-24-2006, 05:07 PM
I like modding my car because its something to do. At first I loved stereos - then I got a ridiculous stereo - then I decided my stereo wasn't cutting it and I needed something other people could enjoy (and I enjoy every time I take a corner, drive past a glass storefront, and even moreso every time someone checks out my car) and got some rims.. then my car was even slower then it was to start with, so I got a turbo.. and now I'm getting a bigger one... :nut:

It snowballs from nothing to this huge deal, but damn it is fun!

dj_rice
05-24-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm with Richard, I've spent so much modifying my car to go fast and look nice, and after that, what do I have really?Nothing to show, other than a modified car, whereas I could of used that money to pimp out my place, or even bought a luxury car than my import now....and its sad that after $15,000 in mods, almost getting $800 in tickets realizing all this, but you live and you learn from your mistakes, also age plays a part in my change of heart also...but I am certainly gonna miss the whole import scene once I sell my car :( so for me, it wasnt worth modifying as everywhere I go, I'm always on the lookout for dem pigs, but I guess to each their own, cause eventually everyone grows up right...

95EagleAWD
05-24-2006, 05:32 PM
I enjoyed modding the DSM a lot. But like heavyD said, sometimes you just lose the driveabiility... the 6 puck clutch and lightweight flywheel did it for me. It was a chore to drive, chattering and shit...

After I/H/E on the NSX, it'll stay the same. No flywheel, no fancy clutch, nuttin'. Just something I can drive easily everyday.

And Dren; your avatar... :love: Cutie....

James
05-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by FatboyTheHungry

Well Said.....it cant be about an investment, because 99.9% of the time you will lose money when modding a car, but when you treat it as a Hobby its all good :thumbsup:

The question is pretty vague if you ask me. Worth it from a monetary standpoint : NO worth it from a satisfaction standpoint : YES

:werd:

fendercontender
05-24-2006, 06:00 PM
i love having a car that's unique, something that attracts attention and is a conversation starter because it's is like no other. that's the purpose of modifying cars for me, not about making it faster/handle better (although it's still imortant) when there's faster cars for a slightly higher price. no matter what you pay for a car, it won't be one of a kind unless you modify it.

FiveFreshFish
05-24-2006, 07:28 PM
It's entertainment, obtained by blowing disposable income.

Take the good with the bad... can be very rewarding or frustrating at times. Just like golf.

CrvenaZvezda
05-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj
oh yeah... i definitly think its worth it!!!
everytime i walk away from my car just keep turning back to look at it!
definitly worth it:drool:

I do the same absolute thing, I turn back 20 times lol...:)

TEAMFaint
05-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Paying someone else to modify your car for you = useless
Doing the work yourself, and by doing this learning about your car = well worth it

I've done everything to my car with the company of my friend this includes bodywork and soon to be an engine swap. I dont see the point in paying someone an extra $1500 to do prep work or an engine install for you being worth it. Just my opinion.

Shaolin
05-24-2006, 08:27 PM
I'd continue to modify my future cars but not to the extent of what I've done on my current car. It definitely not worthit from a monetary standpoint, but I've always wanted to do it. So doing it gave me great satisfaction

smontyLS1
05-24-2006, 08:41 PM
I think it depends if you do it yourself or not. In terms of money, you can save a lot and it would be totally worth it. If you just buy a car and then pay big bucks to have someone else mod it, your really just slowly buying a nicer car. I would personally rather buy a really nice car than pay someone else to do all the work to a cheaper car. But thats me.

andres_mt
05-24-2006, 09:31 PM

I say OEM > *

But once again your forgetting the hobby side to modding cars, some people enjoy installing and troubleshooting parts. This question can only be answered for each individual themselves I think as some hate installing parts and some enjoy it.

GTS Jeff
05-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Fun?!? Hehe, maybe for those who are mechanically inclined. ;)

For me, modding is a fiasco. It usually takes me ages to get things to work properly. I don't think anything has ever gone right the first time for me and I usually end up all stressed out, pulling out all my hair. That's why you have to do two things:

1. Pay other people to do the work
2. Have a dedicated weekend/track car and a daily driver.

88CRX
05-24-2006, 11:17 PM

^ Some good advice. I think I spent way more than I should have on mods - I probably wouldn't regret it so much if I went with fewer, more inexpensive mods.

haha Ryan, you totally got me with that description though. I'm one of those bandwagon guys that wanted a modified car because everyone else had one. Most of the engines in my cars and mods on my cars were ones that everyone was praising and hyping up. Now after realizing how much time and money is involved, I don't want to be in the scene anymore.

Ya, F&F did it for me lol. But you soon find out whether or not your "dedicated" enough to keep it up. Its just not for some people I guess.

Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda

I do the same absolute thing, I turn back 20 times lol...:)

If your constandly doing this then your good to go and your doing something right :thumbsup:

Mikey_008
05-24-2006, 11:28 PM
You are what you drive!!! How you do up your car is what brings out your characteristics!! And ppl know you for what you drive!

Ichigo
05-25-2006, 01:32 AM
Not worth it for me.. I dropped a little over 18k in parts alone into my car.. I'd be lucky if I ever see that 18k again. aahah I find the more I mod it the less the car gets driven. :cry:

BiG_BoI_LuDe
05-25-2006, 03:22 AM
I too voted no but will still do it... but for me I have a limit based on th car... for istant my prelude... now more then 2000 will be invested in that... but If I managed to get the car I want... and I really don;t ever plan on selling... I will base the modding on if it worth it or not... only mods that will make a true difference in the ride its self weathers its comfort,power,or handling.

but yeah in the end... cars is forever a part of my life... me building my car is just about important as getting girl friends/getting married in such... at this stage of my life anyways... probably see it differently when i;m older... but CARS ALL THE WAY!!!! YEAH

ron korolak
05-25-2006, 04:17 AM
Financially NO, for yourself YES!

rockym20
05-25-2006, 10:15 AM
From a purely financial standpoint, it isn't worth it. You will be much better off buying a more expensive car to begin with instead of blowing your money on a bunch of mods that do nothing for your resale.

From a performance standpoint, it probably isn't worth it. You would be better off buying a used 300Zx, Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, etc. than buying an el-cheapo and blowing a bunch of money on modding it for performance.

I think the whole modding scene (at least the performance modding scene) is on the downside. The fact is that the generation of people who were really into this are starting to grow up and move onto other things (house, kids, decent cars, etc.). While I wouldn't call it a fad, it is just sort of the normal ebb and flow of things.

three.eighteen.
05-25-2006, 11:45 PM
this thread has inspired me to not blow a fortune on my next car...there are better things to hold on to my money for...

but that isn't gonna stop me from getting rims, suspension and other small things that will just make it "nice"

rc2002
05-26-2006, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
That's why you have to do two things:

1. Pay other people to do the work
2. Have a dedicated weekend/track car and a daily driver.

Sound advice. I think that's exactly what I'll do if I ever decide to modify again.

Originally posted by rockym20
I think the whole modding scene (at least the performance modding scene) is on the downside. The fact is that the generation of people who were really into this are starting to grow up and move onto other things (house, kids, decent cars, etc.). While I wouldn't call it a fad, it is just sort of the normal ebb and flow of things.

Very well put. That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if it was just me... I can still remember a time when all I wanted was a loud car with a big flashy body kit and altezzas. That dream slowly evolved into wanting a fast, clean car. Now I just want a reliable luxury car.

Judging from the poll, I don't think modding will ever stop. It'll be interesting to see where the car scene is headed next!

GTS Jeff
05-26-2006, 12:23 AM

Sound advice. I think that's exactly what I'll do if I ever decide to modify again. #1 is for lazy bitches like us...I hate working on cars too...I only sometimes do it cuz I am poor.

#2 is how all the truly hardcore people do it. Behind every insane car is a bone stock, boring daily driver.

GC84ever
05-26-2006, 01:26 AM
Modifying for me is making my car like the way it should be. Like in the rest of the world got when the impreza came out.

It kills me that the canadian version is just looks similar to the JDM and EDM imprezas; with their turbocharged and sportier characteristics.

My plan (long term) is just to build up my car to similar standard to the other Imprezas in the world. If we in canada got the same cars (or something more similar) I don't think I would do any major mods to it.

rc2002
07-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Bumping this thread up. Poll is still open...

I'm just going to echo what I said about modding - my stance hasn't changed. This time I have a bone to pick with the safety issue. Ever wonder why most mods are for "off road use only" or "not DOT approved"? Obviously they're less safe than the OEM counterparts. Car manufacturers build safety equipment into cars like airbags, hoods with crumple zones, etc. and people replace them without another thought to safety.

After a close call recently, I'm more safety concious now. If my modding ever caused myself or passengers in my cars injuries, I don't know how I'd be able to deal with it.

It might be misfounded, but I feel safer knowing that I now have a newer car with stricter safety standards and 6 airbags. :)

SilverBoost
07-13-2006, 03:24 PM
^^^

ever get an airbag in the face?

I removed my airbag not because I wanted to be cool and have an aftermarket wheel, but because I didn't want to have a 20 kph crash and have my car writtten off only because my airbags blew out my dash and windshield, not including the cost of the bags themselves. Plus the powder burns and cuts I would get on my face. Seat belts work fine if used properly. And yes, airbags have saved lives, there's no arguing that, but they've caused plenty of injuries as well that otherwise may not have occured. I have a freidn of mine who got into a minor fender bender in his integra. He said it was a pretty light bender and he was quite surprised when the air bag deployed. His only injuries were a busted up nose and cuts and burns on his face. All from the airbag.

Anyway, that's not trying to start an argument, it's only my opinion of course, but my choice is that it's safer without them.

rc2002
07-13-2006, 04:56 PM
In your case (with so much invested into your car) I guess you wouldn't want your car written off in case of an accident. If your car was stock, insurance would pay you out full value and you could get a new car. I wouldn't mind getting a replacement vehicle just because my airbags decided to go off on a small fender bender. :)

I know that airbags are hit and miss. But the general consensus is that they do more good than harm otherwise the automobile manufacturers wouldn't even bother with them. To each their own though.

RiceCake
07-13-2006, 11:10 PM
I like the comfort and reliability of stock power and appearances. I tend to like OEM and really clean mods, but more and more so I'm not really liking many and extreme mods now.

Perhaps its the hastles of the crowd you get associated with and the assumptions and biased stereotypes you get categorized in with having a modified car that turns me off now.

Its a hobby and a addiction in itself... I always like to learn more about the car and its potential and what extent you can go with it. Financially, its not worth it. The smile and pride and sense of accomplishment does pay off in other ways.

SilverBoost
07-14-2006, 12:37 AM
^^^^

yeah I have to say, this "guilty by association" thing is making me want ot get into another type of vehicle... maybe a G35 or something a little pricier as a base model. Might get less hassle then, but all in all, you can only control what you do anyhow, no one else... and anybody not into the tuner scene groups every car that isn't an SUV, truck or a minivan into the same category anyhow.

Sprinter
07-14-2006, 06:27 AM
:thumbsup: to saving your money and buying a better car, but for people like me who can't afford AMG's then minor modding is an alternative that passes of as a hobby... a very expensive and time consuming hobby :banghead: