PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Edmonton

Cavey
05-24-2006, 12:55 PM
So I have a interview on friday with Dix's Perfomance North for the order desk. I don't know what to do, I'm working at a small town Ford dealership now, possibly getting promoted to parts manager in about 9 months. But it's a small dealership, small town, not much room for growth. Moving is no picknic as I have a kid in school, so I'm on the fence in regards as to what I should do.

DeeK
05-24-2006, 12:58 PM
uggg.. Deadmonton.

I'd wait for something where you are... specially if you got a youngin in school, I know how much it sucks to move during school when you are comfy with friends and such.

Edit: I thought you were from calgary.. didnt read up before. Even still.. I would rather be in rocky mountain house than edmonton.

heavyD
05-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Rocky Mtn House > Edmonton. Think about it. Calgary's red mile was fun but mosly the fans were civil. Edmonton's copy cat stretch is a murder waiting to happen. Hell there were comments on the celebratory stabbings on White Ave on the Jim Rome show today.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Did anyone notice the guy in the stands in last nights game that had the big sign reading:

C-algary
B-lows
C-ows

There's alot of hate in that town.:( Short on class and full of hate. I don't think I would want to bring my kids up there.

DeeK
05-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Rocky Mtn House > Edmonton. Think about it. Calgary's red mile was fun but mosly the fans were civil. Edmonton's copy cat stretch is a murder waiting to happen. Hell there were comments on the celebratory stabbings on White Ave on the Jim Rome show today.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Did anyone notice the guy in the stands in last nights game that had the big sign reading:

C-algary
B-lows
C-ows

There's alot of hate in that town.:( I don't think I would want to bring my kids up there.

Agreed, I have some family up in edmonton and I hate going up there... It's a completely different planet up there, everyone walks around like they are ready to flip out and kill someone. Don't like the vibe.

sputnik
05-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Winnipeg > Edmonton

Xtrema
05-24-2006, 01:40 PM
C-algary
B-lows
C-ows

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: As inappropiate as that was, I still got a chuckle.

Cavey
05-24-2006, 01:44 PM
wow, lots of hate for edmonton.

GTS Jeff
05-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Cavey
wow, lots of hate for edmonton. This is a Calgary based board, what do you expect?

heavyD
05-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
This is a Calgary based board, what do you expect?

Actually if this was posted in any Canadian city you wouldn't find too many people with good things to say about Edmonton. It's just not very high on most people's 'like to visit' radar. People in our Vancouver, Mississauga, & Montreal offices always want to come to Calgary for business visits but are always bumed when they have to go to Edmoton. Hell Mike Peca's wife hates Edmonton so much don't be surprise if he uses his option to void his contract in the offseason.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Samsonov's wife is not warm on the idea of living in Edmonton either. It's a blah city in no-man's land.

Cavey
05-24-2006, 03:26 PM
It's true I like calgary better. Someone should line me up an auto parts job someplace in calgary :angel:

GTS Jeff
05-24-2006, 03:28 PM

Actually if this was posted in any Canadian city you wouldn't find too many people with good things to say about Edmonton. It's just not very high on most people's 'like to visit' radar. People in our Vancouver, Mississauga, & Montreal offices always want to come to Calgary for business visits but are always bumed when they have to go to Edmoton. Hell Mike Peca's wife hates Edmonton so much don't be surprise if he uses his option to void his contract in the offseason.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Samsonov's wife is not warm on the idea of living in Edmonton either. It's a blah city in no-man's land. I'm not disputing what you're saying. I like Calgary more too.

But I have seen people with your mentality since elementary, when neighbouring schools would get into fights after school, or in high school, when people say shit like, "oh those Churchill douchebags are all so snobby." And speaking of other cities...well rivalries exist there too. Any time there are two similar cities/towns/whatever situated near each other, there's going to be a lot of senseless rivalry.

When I say senseless, I really do mean senseless. Like, do you go to bed happier knowing that Calgary is better than Edmonton? Do you get a hard-on when you get a chance to trashtalk Edmonton (like in this thread?) What do you care what some random hockey players' wives think about Edmonton? Geez pretty soon you'll be saying that Edmonchucks eat babies and drink blood. I understand that you want to feel like you belong to the Calgary "community," but is it really constructive to trash talk another city to define ours?

BTW, Samsonov is the shit.

Dave P
05-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Calgary is better

but Edmonton is not a terrible place to live.

I find that Edmonton has more people who grew up here still here.

Calgary is a mis mash of everywhere. And that explains why Edmontonians are very pationate about there city.

Same shit, different pile

C4S
05-24-2006, 04:35 PM
AWESOME!!

Good for you!

I wish I could move back to the Ture Hockey town too .. but my wife wonldn't ...

You are so lucky .. can save at least 1/3 on house ..and cheer for the Great Hockey team!!

I am jealous now ... :love:

heavyD
05-24-2006, 05:20 PM

When I say senseless, I really do mean senseless. Like, do you go to bed happier knowing that Calgary is better than Edmonton? Do you get a hard-on when you get a chance to trashtalk Edmonton (like in this thread?) What do you care what some random hockey players' wives think about Edmonton? Geez pretty soon you'll be saying that Edmonchucks eat babies and drink blood. I understand that you want to feel like you belong to the Calgary "community," but is it really constructive to trash talk another city to define ours?

This thread has nothing to do with Calgary. Is Calgary really better than Edmonton? Can that even be answered with any scientific proof? No. All I know is that it has nothing to offer me personally & I would never live there. Take a fucking pill & relax.:thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
05-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Take a fucking pill & relax.:thumbsup: Uh, that's what I told you to do...

heavyD
05-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Uh, that's what I told you to do...

Uh no. You had a complex claiming that I'm trashing Edmonton. Take a look at ALL the posts. Its all banter until you attacked me or defended edmonton what ever you were attempting. Maybe you type faster than your brain comprehends.:dunno:

fendercontender
05-24-2006, 05:54 PM
you mean you're considering moving to edmonton by CHOICE? :confused:

SuPhistiKatEd
05-24-2006, 06:52 PM
I was born and raised in Edmonton. About two years ago, I relocated to Calgary for a career...much like your story.

In those two years, I have realized what a great city this is as compared to Edmonton. I'm not saying that Edmonton is a bad city...I just think there's much more going on in Calgary with the real estate and job boom. You get everything and anything here. I chose to move here because of the vast job opportunities. Regardless of all the memories and siblings, I'll never regret making the decision to move here.

If I were you, I'd sit tight and keep searching in Calgary. Sure, it's a decent job opportunity, but I'm sure you'll find something far better here. As well, for your kids, it's a better city to grow up in. If only I had moved here when I was little.

Best of luck.

Foz
05-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Welcome to the City of Champions..

The city is a dump compared to Calgary, but the sports franchises.. #1.

95EagleAWD
05-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Foz
Welcome to the City of Champions..

The city is a dump compared to Calgary, but the sports franchises.. #1.

:rofl:

Yup. I've been here 12 years, but I gotta say, I do like living here.

DelSoln
05-25-2006, 01:39 AM
I'm not disputing what you're saying. I like Calgary more too.

But I have seen people with your mentality since elementary, when neighbouring schools would get into fights after school, or in high school, when people say shit like, "oh those Churchill douchebags are all so snobby." And speaking of other cities...well rivalries exist there too. Any time there are two similar cities/towns/whatever situated near each other, there's going to be a lot of senseless rivalry.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

On a side note the blanket statements in this thread are amusing.

bluetek
05-25-2006, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Foz
but the sports franchises.. #1.

Tons of better cities with 1000x better sports franchises than Edmonton. :dunno: You have to get out of that bubble your living in cuz you don't know what youre talking about. neways Have a nice day!:thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
05-25-2006, 02:23 AM
I should also mention that HeavyD, you're not alone. There's tons of retards on 780tuners that trashtalk Calgary like no tomorrow as well.

Same shit, different pile. :dunno:

C4S
05-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Oh .. guys .. if talking about cars .. then for sure .. more nicer cars in Calgary .. you may see 3 to 4 Ferrari in Calgary each day ... but you may see Ferrari in Edmonton once a week ...
( but both cities have lots of crappy riced asian cars :rofl: )
Same as more nicer car in Toronto then Calgary ....

If talking about girls .. then I agree .. Calgary girls are hotter then Edmonton .... in general ... :D

However, for me, coming from a city with 8 times more people then Calgary or 10 times more then Edmonton ... both Calgary and Edmonton are small city for me, that offer peaceful life .... but living standard in Calgary is much higher too ... ( higher income too, for IT, Engineering job etc .. )

Anyway ... :D

heavyD
05-25-2006, 10:09 AM
I should also mention that HeavyD, you're not alone. There's tons of retards on 780tuners that trashtalk Calgary like no tomorrow as well.

Same shit, different pile. :dunno:

I'm a retard because I dont care for the city of Edmonton? :dunno: Hockey wives that don't like Edmonton isn't trash talk, its fact. Classless fans holding up banners of Calgary blowing cows is fact. Celebratory stabbings on White Ave is a fact. Higher crime in Edmonton is a fact. If Edmonton holds a little place in your heart good for you but don't call people retards for not conforming to your opinions.

bspot
05-25-2006, 10:21 AM
This is a Calgary based board, what do you expect?

Edmonton is a shithole and full of meth addicted douchebags, what did you expect?

GTS Jeff
05-25-2006, 01:15 PM

I'm a retard because I dont care for the city of Edmonton? :dunno: Hockey wives that don't like Edmonton isn't trash talk, its fact. Classless fans holding up banners of Calgary blowing cows is fact. Celebratory stabbings on White Ave is a fact. Higher crime in Edmonton is a fact. If Edmonton holds a little place in your heart good for you but don't call people retards for not conforming to your opinions. Have you already forgotten that I think Calgary is a better city too? :dunno:

I'm just saying that you're just as bad as the douchebags in Edmonton with their CBC signs.

GTS Jeff
05-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by bspot

Edmonton is a shithole and full of meth addicted douchebags, what did you expect? A little less blind hate from otherwise smart people I guess...

bspot
05-25-2006, 02:22 PM
A little less blind hate from otherwise smart people I guess...

It was a joke ;)

On a side note... (I'll ask you because of your famous food for bums program)... are there more bums in Calgary than Edmonton?

It seems like we are infested now. Food for bums would probably be the scene for a daily fight over you hobo snack packs. Just wondering if it was as bad up there too.

HuMz
05-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Overall I'd say Calgary is a nicer city, (mountain's play's a huge part, nicer landscapes, more elevated).

And right now Calgary is leading the pact in term's of growth and the real estate market.....HOWEVER, edmonton is starting to grow at a unbelievable rate as well, and it's narrowing the gap year by year.

As for the people, heavy D seem's to think it's full of hate and lack of class, but I would have to say edmonton is one of the most friendliest place's Ive ever been too.

Calgary has that bigger city mentality where everyone's in a rush, where people in edmonton seem to be alot more laid back and still has that small friendly city feeling.

Both cities are great, Calgary has the edge right now economically plus your close to the moutain's....but it's almost becoming too expensive to live for the average joe, and it is plagued anywhere you go by traffic problem's.

Edmonton is alot more spread out, feature's several really nice suburb's all closer then airdre to calgary. There's also ton's of festival's (most in western canada), and there is a great deal of support for local event's. It also features the largest urban rivervalley in Canada and is probably the nicest.

heavyD
05-25-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm just saying that you're just as bad as the douchebags in Edmonton with their CBC signs.

I wouldn't parade around at a hockey game with a sign saying Edmonton sucks. I go to hockey games to chear on my team not to denounce a neiboring city. I don't harbor near the hatred that would involve the effort of making the sign and bringing it with me to a game that didn't even involve Edmonton. In fact I'm indifferent to Edmonton as I just don't care about the place & in fact mosts Calgarians don't really care about Edmonton either. Many Edmotonians harbour alot of jealously towards Calgary. Did you read the Edmonton newspapers after Macleans magazine put out the story "Forget about Toronto, Calgary is the Center of the Universe"? One writer was calling Calgarians in general pompus, crass, as well as other low blow shots in an article the Sun got alot of flack for. When the Flames were in their 04 run in Calgary it was a big love-all for the Flames and that was it. There were no signs, no people going "take that Edmonton", "so long bandwagoners", etc. We didn't send emails to every Edmonton emplyee of our companies rubbing in their faces like every employee in our Calgary offices got from the Edmonton office when the Ducks took out the Flames. Calgarians joke about Edmonton being a dump, etc but you will never convince me that Calgarians have the same deep seeded hatred & jealousy that Edmontonians have towards Calgary. I have to go to Edmonton annually to my Wife's aunt's place to hear the same story over the dinner table about how Edmonton's river area is so much nicer than Calgary's, it's too bad you guys don't get the long summer days we get in Edmonton & how can we handle the terrible traffic in Calgary, yadda yadda yadda. It's been like this for a while and will continue to do so until Edmontonians get off their inferiority complex.

Plus, how can you take a city seriously when they proclaim themselves the 'city of champions'. LOL

A guy was on the fence about leaving RMH which is a very nice little town to move to Edmonton. I put in my two cents about the haters up there and that I don't think its that great of a place.

Foz
05-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Golf Flames Golf..

Choke Flames Choked...

Save the Stamps bail us out....No Wally B no more chances.. boo hoo
:cry:

xrayvsn
05-25-2006, 09:53 PM
I have kids and live in Edmonton. It is a nice city for raising children, and still has reasonable real estate prices. The schooling here is good, and you are not forced to send your child to a neighborhood school like you are in Calgary. There are more charter schools here to choose from, and schools need to compete to get students in order to get funding.

With all of that said, I am moving back to Calgary after completing my training in Edmonton. It is not because I think Calgary is a better city, but because of family. Having family close by when you have young kids > arguments about how classless the hockey fans are, or how many more Ferraris I can spot in a week.

HybridTheory
05-26-2006, 12:22 AM
I think layout wise Calgary is much nicer because we are closer to the mountains. I noticed when I was in e-town yesterday that there's a lot of industrial area. I don't notice Calgary's industrial area as much, to me its mostly the residential that sticks out. I also like how Calgary's roads are laid out as opposed to Edmonton.

Peoplewise, I don't really have a problem with Edmontonians. They were pretty friendly to me when I was there. One thing that I like better about Edmonton is how clubs are much easier to get into. The times that I've gone there my buddies haven't had the problems like they have in Calgary. There isn't any of that 25 and over bs.

Overall I still like Calgary better but I wish our housing prices weren't so outta control.

GTS Jeff
05-26-2006, 12:33 AM

I wouldn't parade around at a hockey game with a sign saying Edmonton sucks. I don't harbor near the hatred that would involve the effort of making the sign and bringing it with me to a game that didn't even involve Edmonton. Making a sign is less effort than typing out a huge essay on how Edmontonians suck...

Come on, just admit that ragging on Edmonton gives you hard ons...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DelSoln
05-26-2006, 12:58 PM
If you were truly indifferent about the city you wouldn't be going out of your way making multiple posts on several threads involving Edmonton and then painting its citizens with a broad stroke. Ironic how the thread doesn't involve Calgary yet you are the first to make comparisons. Talk about classless. :thumbsdow

Merkur
05-26-2006, 12:59 PM
This thread has gone a bit off topic. But either way calgary/edmonton same thing different name. People here will bash calgary and people there will bash edmonton. Same thing i grew up with in Cardston(small town south of lethbridge) we hated Raymond, raymond hated us. BIG DEAL

p.s.--whats the difference between a bra and the calgary flames? A bra has 2 cups...

GO OILERS!!!!

CasperWho
05-26-2006, 01:05 PM
c - calgary
b - blows
c - cows

made me LOL!
that was hilarious!