PDA

View Full Version : Sars

Zephyr
04-02-2003, 10:58 PM
i heard u guys r gettign a lot of cases with this disease in canada. we getting it too. its comming from hong kong as travelers run to north american to be "safe" from it, but they are bringing it along. its easy to get, simply from air travel by breathing it, and it destroys the lungs and can be fatal.

rsxrsx
04-02-2003, 11:01 PM
yes, we got two cases in Calgary and seven cases of SARS in Canada,, but don't quote me on the numbers, actually there was a doctor that tried helping somebody in Toronto with SARS, ended up catching it himself and died as a result, i sure hope they find a cure soon before SARS get's blown out of proportion

Zephyr
04-02-2003, 11:05 PM
yea a lot of doctors in asia died while treating the patient, they had no idea that a simple touch can infect the other person... we have like 14 cases in california, and a lot more nationwide, i heard canada had 50 but i might not be correct...

rsxrsx
04-02-2003, 11:09 PM
In addition, i guess they already grounded or planning on grounding all flights to hong kong as a result of SARS, it's crazy...

04blackMAX
04-02-2003, 11:09 PM
man why worry, more of a chance you drowning in your bath tub then dying from sars, 96% chance of living through it

chances of dying from sars are 1 in 8 million
chances of drowning in yout bathtub 1 in 11,000

those are canadain stats..hahaha pretty dumb but true

Zephyr
04-02-2003, 11:10 PM
in america, if a patient has sars, they are to be quartined and those who treat them must have gloves and a mask. after they are recovered, they must stay in the same room for an additional 10 days. man this sucks....

Zephyr
04-02-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by vsmSIR
man why worry, more of a chance you drowning in your bath tub then dying from sars, 96% chance of living through it

chances of dying from sars are 1 in 8 million
chances of drowning in yout bathtub 1 in 11,000

those are canadain stats..hahaha pretty dumb but true

i heard the high death rate is extremely high... so u have the same chance of being taken by aliens, compared to living from sars... i dunno i'm hearing different from each country.

rsxrsx
04-02-2003, 11:13 PM
true vsmSIR, but i guess the only thing to do as said on the news today is wash your hands before you make contact with other people...this will decrease the risk of getting Sars

Zephyr
04-02-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by rsxrsx
true vsmSIR, but i guess the only thing to do as said on the news today is wash your hands before you make contact with other people...this will decrease the risk of getting Sars

and watch out for those sexy asian bastards when they sneeze :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Weapon_R
04-02-2003, 11:23 PM
The mortality rate for SARS is only 5%, but the panic of an airborne and extremely contagious disease is why everyone is making a big deal out of it.

04blackMAX
04-02-2003, 11:29 PM
man shitty to get it, but all of us are young and heathly, not alot to worry about.

T5_X
04-02-2003, 11:29 PM
My dad actually got it a few weeks ago, he's a doctor in Vancouver.

SARS is actually less deadly than the flu. Problem with it is that it is likely associated with at least one positive strand RNA virus meaning it is unstable and can mutate very quickly, so it could potentially get a lot worse.

EVOI
04-02-2003, 11:34 PM
Ranger_X31~hey, so how is ur father now? hope he is ok!

That.Guy.S30
04-02-2003, 11:53 PM
ok here i just watched the news. 160 even in canada 6 ppl ded.. its abit over 5%. kinda freaking crz. that 160 is probable casses and proven cases

Zephyr
04-03-2003, 12:00 AM
i heard from taiwanese tv that it was deadly... then again taiwanese government is not reliable...

04blackMAX
04-03-2003, 12:07 AM
no 2200 cases...80 dead.....

That.Guy.S30
04-03-2003, 12:10 AM
im tlakin about in canada

EVOI
04-03-2003, 12:12 AM
Zephyr~don't say that about my country, man~or I will :guns:

Zephyr
04-03-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by EVOI

Zephyr~don't say that about my country, man~or I will :guns:

taiwan? if ur from taiwan then BOMB YOUR COUNTRY! CHINA OWNNNZZZORS YOU!!!!! haha j/k half my family is from taiwan. and we all brothers from the same motherland.

FiveFreshFish
04-03-2003, 12:24 AM
Yup, that's why it's called Taiwan R.O.C.

Zephyr
04-03-2003, 12:32 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=514&e=6&u=/ap/20030402/ap_on_he_me/mystery_illness_hong_kong_5

today's update on the disease...

event he World Health has released a warning.

EVOI
04-03-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr

taiwan? if ur from taiwan then BOMB YOUR COUNTRY! CHINA OWNNNZZZORS YOU!!!!! haha j/k half my family is from taiwan. and we all brothers from the same motherland.

ha ha~then i guess~u r cool, man~:D

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Yup, that's why it's called Taiwan R.O.C.

well~since we are in Car forums, i won't get into anything political

szw
04-03-2003, 12:44 AM
I'm not eating at any chinese restaurants!

Oh wait I work at one!!

My parents are in malaysia and said people there are freaking out. I'm sure my mom's exagerating but she's telling me stories of a girl that was in an elevator with someone sick, then died the next day...so I should take the stairs instead haha

and a whole flat of people living together, one guy became sick, then tons of people living in the appt. got scared and they're all staying at other places, spreading it everywhere...

Either way...if someone's coughing, i'm backing up!

Monster Hui
04-03-2003, 12:46 AM
it's getting a bit overblown by the media...

3.3 million people die from diarrhoel disease per year... (few years before was 3.1 million deaths per year).

and how many people died from SARS??.... not anywhere close to 3.3 mil.

anyways... people shouldn't worry too much over things that they shouldn't be worrying :). If someone is worrying about getting SARS and go out and buy mask and wear around all day, he/she should worry more about the food and water that he/she eats and drink.

girlRACER
04-03-2003, 02:02 AM
My dad lives in HK and he was telling me that somebody in China had contracted it and went to Hong Kong for a wedding banquet. While in HK, he was staying on the 8th floor of the Mandarin Hotel. On that same floor there was 3 Canadians, a person from Singapore, etc and they all contracted SARS. When they returned to their home land countries it had spread from those very same people. Those 3 Canadians happened to be from Toronto which is why there were so are so many cases in Toronto.

lammer
04-03-2003, 02:13 AM
Ranger I hope your dad is okay!

Melinda
04-03-2003, 02:15 AM
There has not yet been any confirmed cases of the disease in Calgary...two past suspected cases but those have both been monitored and declared to have not been sars (keep in mind it is flu season) one suspected case since then but the guy is quarantined at home.

And the death rate is 3%. The reason the media is making such a huge deal about it is because

a) its fresh news and spreading quick
b) it's killing older/younger people or those with weak immune systems but if they tell everyone that there is such a low percentage of dying people that everyone else wont care, keep spreading it and more people will die.

Melinda

MerfBall
04-03-2003, 09:26 AM
From Health Canada (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/protection/warnings/2003/2003_11.htm)

Latest Canadian Numbers on SARS

As of April 2, 2003, Health Canada has received reports of 160 probable or suspect cases of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in Canada. There have been six deaths in Canada. All Canadian cases have occurred in persons who have traveled to Asia or had contact with SARS cases in the household or in a health-care setting. The information contained in this update is based on the best available information Health Canada has at this time.

The details of the cases to date are as follows:

Ontario is reporting 60 probable and 69 suspect cases. All cases have occurred in persons who have traveled to Asia or had contact with SARS cases in the household or in a health-care setting.
British Columbia is reporting 2 probable and 16 suspect cases.
New Brunswick is reporting 1 suspect case.
Saskatchewan is reporting 1 suspect case.
Alberta is reporting 7 suspect cases.
Prince Edward Island is reporting 4 suspect cases.

At this time, the cause of SARS remains unknown, however national and international laboratory testing and collaboration is ongoing.

|[NAVIGATOR]|
04-03-2003, 09:32 AM
We're lucky we have no actual cases, just sspected to have it.

B18C
04-03-2003, 10:14 AM
The reason SARS is such a big deal is that it is highly infectious and can kill an otherwise healthy individual. This is why it is of concern to healthcare workers.

sml
04-03-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by |[NAVIGATOR]|
We're lucky we have no actual cases, just sspected to have it.

Actual case requires an autopsy to prove... which means you're dead already.