PDA

View Full Version : HP Laptops

hustler
05-25-2006, 08:55 AM
Looking into buying an HP laptop specifically the dv1680ca, just wondering what experiences people have had with this brand and if anyone has bought this specific laptop. Please contribute....

Heres the specific laptop:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10073125&catid=11520

nosegrindR
05-25-2006, 10:09 AM
I have this exact model, I love it, way better than any dell or toshiba i've owned. However I did upgrade to 1.5GB ram, everything runs so smoothly.

Not the best for gaming whatsoever, but a nice little laptop if you're looking for something thin, fast and smooth.

eblend
05-25-2006, 10:43 AM
if anything hits the fan on that laptop within the manufacturers warranty it will have to be shippped away to HP for repair as they don't have local repair locations and HP and Compaq like to fix everything themselves out east. If the shit hits the fan after the warranty, not to worry, they offer a very friendly $400 USD flatrate repair on any problem (excluding LCD) plus shipping.
Now that you know that, don't make a wrong decisinon and just get an IBM or a Toshiba, both of which are fixable right here in Calgary.

I see 100s of laptop a day where I work and have to tell countless dissapointed people that they will be out of their laptop for 4-6 weeks as it has to be shipped. Needless to say these ppl never buy HP, Compaq, Acer again

Khyron
05-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Yep, no HP for me. Cute bells and whistles, but for the most part they rape you if something breaks.

Not a huge fan of the look of Toshibas, but can't deny the swift repair/reliability here.

Khyron

hustler
05-25-2006, 12:05 PM
is there anywhere else you can get the laptop fixed? by an unauthorized dealer?

Khyron
05-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by hustler
is there anywhere else you can get the laptop fixed? by an unauthorized dealer?

If you want to pay, sure. But under warranty, no. Even then though getting parts can be a bitch.

Khyron

hustler
05-26-2006, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the help guys

AJL
05-27-2006, 12:34 AM
I feel the exact oppostite.
I deal with warrenty work everyday.
Toshiba is horrible. Im in a fight with them right now over a couple of defective laptops. Hp/Compaq is amazing. Next day shipping... back within a week usually, never seen it gone more then 2.
I guess everyone has different opinions.

rinny
05-29-2006, 06:27 PM
I agree with AJL. HP/Compaq are swift with their service. As much as I like the style of Toshibas, the past year's models seem to have way too many defective machines straight out of the box, or at within a few months.

I think the new DuoCore machines are where its at for Toshiba, though Hp's newer machines, including the 1680 seem almost as good.

Acer, Gateway&Emachines can all go suck a log. I'd have to say the top manufactured laptops would be HP and Toshiba.

rinny
05-29-2006, 06:30 PM
And if your buying from Futureshop, they are HP/Comaq certified and have a direct connection with them, under a year you will have your laptop sent away and returned within 7-10 business days or so. I find they are the quicket company to work with as far as MFR warranty work.

iceburns288
05-29-2006, 07:00 PM
My sister bought a really similar laptop to this, I think. Maybe even the same one... the model number looks familiar.

She hasn't had it long enough for me to tell you about reliability, but the price was awesome for what it's got! Lots of cool feautres/gimmicks and it looks really nice too.

eblend
05-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by AJL
I feel the exact oppostite.
I deal with warrenty work everyday.
Toshiba is horrible. Im in a fight with them right now over a couple of defective laptops. Hp/Compaq is amazing. Next day shipping... back within a week usually, never seen it gone more then 2.
I guess everyone has different opinions.

thats amazing, its almost as if they give differntial treatment on this stuff. We had hps be sent in and come back a month later with the issue unrepaired! For desktops for example, one machine went in, the extended warranty company paid the 400 some dollars flat rate repair, and it came back with the same broken power supply as it went in for repair for. The fan was not spinning and it came back still not spinning. Our upper management raised hell with them, they been little better lately but still a pain to have it sent away, expecially for people who use their laptops for business

Team_Mclaren
05-29-2006, 08:00 PM
thats the exact same laptop im thinking of buying.
are there any difference between this and the DV1635 other then the 1gb ram and T2400 instaed of the T2300? is it that much better?

link here for dv1635 http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10073360&catid=

hustler
05-30-2006, 07:58 AM
difference is the dv1635 only has a 90 day standard warranty, 512 ram, no webcam, and is 1.66 instead of 1.8 from what i see...finally bought mine im relly liking it....super fast and looks relly reliable no problems

SLK55
05-31-2006, 04:55 AM
asus>

Alterac
05-31-2006, 09:57 AM
HP is great. We use HP/Compaq Business line products exclusivly here where I work.

If a laptop breaks and its somthing other than a keyboard/cdrom/harddrive. Then they send you a shipping box with pre-paid shipping on it, you send it to them, its back in a week.

The difference between commercial and residential line of laptops is huge tho. I would never ever buy a non Business line laptop of theirs.

Also, if you feel like spending the extra $300 for peice of mind, their is a 3 year, accidental damage warranty. You can huck the fucker into a wall and hp will replace it, no questions asked.

modded46
05-31-2006, 10:04 AM
HP is the way to go period.. The last company I was with, they had over 3500 desktops & laptops and sure they had problems here and there but nothing major and consitantly high quality..

SigmaRacing
05-31-2006, 08:38 PM
HPs are really hit and miss, but this model seems to be ok. I've got exactly the one you posted and its given me no trouble on the hardware side. The image from the factory was corrupt, which meant that I had to reimage it right out of the box (not confidence inspiring) but after that it ran like a charm. HP has a reimage system built into a separate partition on the hard drive so no need to find CDs or DVDs that came with it when something goes wrong. I'd caution you against calling their helpdesk, its total crap. Futureshop's is no better. Having said that, I've had bad service from just about any Helpdesk I've called and I've worked on a helpdesk before. Best of luck either way.