PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on changing brake rotors/calipers........

MR2-3S-GTE
05-25-2006, 09:09 AM
Well as the title suggest...am planning on changing my brake rotors and calipers. Only question is...what kind of setup should i get. OEM slotted/drilled rotors?. Not sure about the calipers myself. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks ahead.

AllGoNoShow
05-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Not sure about your options for calipers, would have let an MR2 Guru help you out there...

Rotor wise, don't forget to replace your pads while your at it.... I have tried OEM Blanks, meh, Brembo Slotted, were very nice to ride with, until they warped, I've only had them for a little but, NOT pleased at all.

Haven't tried crossdrilled at all, one of the things is that they seem to crack easy, they are suppsoed to be better off forgetting rid of heat, but heat causes things to crack, so I'm not too sure about them, although since my slotted warped so early I might only have one otpion left besides big brake kit myself.

The noticeable differences? Going from OEM Blank to Brembo Slotted, without chaning my pads, I notice a major difference in them always being responsive, worth the $120 a rotor if you ask me.

MR2-3S-GTE
05-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Rotor wise...i've heard the same especially with the warping and all. Am thinkin about getting slotted rotors (which would reduce the chances of cracking).

thinmyster
05-25-2006, 02:45 PM
oem rotors and porterfield pads and your done :burnout:

rc2002
05-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Brembo slotted FTW. If you're upgrading your brake system, some stainless steel lines and some decent ceramic pads (I like the Axxis ultimates) will go a long way.

You'll notice way more difference from just rotors/pads/lines. Getting calipers is just overkill - they really aren't worth what you're going to end up paying for them.

FatboyTheHungry
05-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Brembo slotted oe type, stainless steel lines, and good pads should suffice. It is amazing how different pads and stainless steel lines improve your braking.
If you have big budget, then go for a big brake kit with everything supplied, such as a Brembo GT or Stoptech :D

Zenshi
05-25-2006, 03:42 PM
You can go for a wilwood brake upgrade KIT
I dont have the site handy where you can get them, but do a search for them. :)

Redlyne_mr2
05-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Big brake kits are useless, 93+brakes with master cylinder, good set of rotors, pads, lines. The 91 brakes are still wicked though.

Zenshi
05-25-2006, 08:45 PM
well... big brakes arent always useless ;)

mr2mike
05-28-2006, 04:36 PM
I've always been skeptical about putting braided lines on a stock system. Is there a noticeable difference for those who have done this?